Choice Ammunition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choice Ammunition

Got word of these guys and been wanting to try the Berger Hunting VLD out of my 7mm-08, so I gave them a call and here's what showed up. They were very friendly and communication was great. Supposedly all their ammo is hand loaded. I'd like to find a scale to way each cartridge. $41.00 for the box, so when compared to other premium loads, I'd say this is a fair price. My Barnes costs the same. Hope to try them out tomorrow evening or this weekend and will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get good consistency and grouping out of both my 7 mag and 6.5 Creedmor with this ammo and the Berger VLDs. They changed there load data on the 6.5 Creedmor with the 140gr. VLD and increased muzzle velocity. I didn't catch it until I was at the range. I called and spoke with them was assured this was their final load for that round but I always double check it now when I pick up a box!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jstanton View Post
      I get good consistency and grouping out of both my 7 mag and 6.5 Creedmor with this ammo and the Berger VLDs. They changed there load data on the 6.5 Creedmor with the 140gr. VLD and increased muzzle velocity. I didn't catch it until I was at the range. I called and spoke with them was assured this was their final load for that round but I always double check it now when I pick up a box!

Thanks for the input. I'm very curious!

Comment

So they worked up a load for your rifle or they have 1 standard load?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          They have one standard load per bullet selection per caliber.

For most calibers they offer ammunition in they have a few different bullet and weight selections.

With the 6.5 Creedmor and the 140gr. VLD, they refined it from their original load thus the increase in muzzle velocity.

They claim that all of their ammunition is hand loaded. I have had pretty good success with them.

Comment

I hope they work for you , but for that kind of money, you should REALLY consider rolling your own.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
              I hope they work for you , but for that kind of money, you should REALLY consider rolling your own.
              I don't shoot a whole bunch. Target shoot every once in a while, but rarely go through 2-3 boxes per year. I'm paying the same for my Barnes. Just wanted to see how the VLD shoots and how it performs on game. Maybe then I might pick up reloading.

Comment

Gotcha. Not including brass (since you already have loaded ammo) loading that Berger bullet should cost 75-85 cents a round to load... and that's an expensive bullet haha

Comment

Looking at their website, it's just their own stock recipes that they apparently load by hand. It looks like they're claiming more consistent ammo because they handload it. No doubt it is more consistent but like any other factory ammo it's just going to depend whether your rifle happens to like one of their recipes.

Their prices for 6.5 Creedmoor is pretty affordable at $29/box but some other ammo, like .260 Remington, is crazy expensive at $45.50/box!

They've got to be loading their ammo to SAMMI spec to guarantee it'll feed, and for legal reasons (I'm guessing), so it's interesting that they offer a lot of loads with Berger VLDs. They're so seating depth sensitive, I would think it's hard to come up with an accurate load. I've never had any luck with factory loaded VLDs.

If I didn't load for myself, I might try some, though - the cheaper stuff. It's an interesting concept that may pay off well for some rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                    Gotcha. Not including brass (since you already have loaded ammo) loading that Berger bullet should cost 75-85 cents a round to load... and that's an expensive bullet haha
                    Now you've got the ole thinker thinkin!

I've got almost 4 boxes of brass for 7mm-08 plus some that are still charged. We'll see. I'll be shooting it out of Tikka T3 Lite with a B&C Medalist stock and a Leupold VX3i. The Barnes shoot around .5-.75, I'm just not sure if I like the limited expansion. They pass through and hit like a hammer, but I've been wanting to try something out that releases all of its energy in the body cavity. The VLD looks pretty nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                      Now you've got the ole thinker thinkin!

I've got almost 4 boxes of brass for 7mm-08 plus some that are still charged. We'll see. I'll be shooting it out of Tikka T3 Lite with a B&C Medalist stock and a Leupold VX3i. The Barnes shoot around .5-.75, I'm just not sure if I like the limited expansion. They pass through and hit like a hammer, but I've been wanting to try something out that releases all of its energy in the body cavity. The VLD looks pretty nasty.

120g Nosler BT is a hammer out of 7-08 and much easier to load than VLD.

Comment

What kind of brass did you receive from Choice?

Comment

120g Nosler BT is a hammer out of 7-08 and much easier to load than VLD.

X2!

I don't load 7-08 but I just love the Nosler BTs for their terminal performance and accuracy and ease of loading.

Comment

Finally got a chance to shoot these. Shot them yesterday, but it was after sighting my new scope in and sending some Barnes and Hornadys down range for chrono. By the time I got to these, barrel just wasn't cooling off enough and I was shooting off bags on a card table which wouldn't allow me to get real steady with the wind. Went back out today with a fresh barrel and fired off 4 shots from bags out of the bed of my truck. The one to the left I pulled. The other 3 stacked right on top of each other. The chrono read 2772, 2772, 2777, 2807. Pretty consistent if you ask me.

Comment

That'll hunt!

Comment

Working...
                              X