Unemployment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployment question

I usually know how UI works. But here's the situation.

My sister (if you can find past threads from years back) has health problems. She works at HEB. Been working there over 25 years.

Well obviously HEB is open and never closed. They gave the option for employees to not work or work and get an extra % (hazard pay).

Well she is too scared to work and has burned through her vacation etc.. She's never used the system at all even though she qualifies more than everyone else using it (She could be on social security etc).

So can she get unemployment right now even though she technically didn't get laid off?

My daughter works at bucces, she had her hours cut back and gets 630 a week from unemployment. Only works 24 hrs a week till it picks back up

Comment

She just needs to file and see what they say.

Comment

No way I would let my sister get on welfare.

Comment

HEB will be her road block. I doubt “scared to work” will push through.

Comment

As an employer my understanding is she wouldn't qualify for traditional unemployment but under the CARES ACT she should qualify for the $600 a week benefit. I have tried to get an answer for a few of my employees in a similar situation and had no luck so I just had them file for full unemployment and quit scheduling them so they could qualify.

Comment

She should probably talk to the HR department. And maybe her medical provider.
              Last edited by AlaskaFlyerFan; 05-17-2020, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                ok.

Figured this one was coming. I'm one of the most anti-welfare people on Earth. I wish they'd eliminate all welfare...every bit of it.

But that's not the world we live in. And my sister has serious issues. Not the kind from doing drugs, being lazy ect. She's in the less than 1% that actually should be getting help. She's had two chances to get on permanent disability and get free money the rest of her life but she chose not to. So I have no doubt she'll go back to work once this is over.

Why should she sit back and use all her savings when this whole BS situation is zero her fault?

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
                  As an employer my understanding is she wouldn't qualify for traditional unemployment but under the CARES ACT she should qualify for the $600 a week benefit. I have tried to get an answer for a few of my employees in a similar situation and had no luck so I just had them file for full unemployment and quit scheduling them so they could qualify.
                  Thanks. I was going to tell her to file and see what happens. Was hoping someone like you actually had luck figuring it out.

Comment

Don't know if she qualifies for unemployment but she may qualify for short term disability insurance if offered at her work. We have a few at my work with underlying conditions out with doctors notes and are collecting our A&S disability. It pays 66 2/3% of normal gross pay.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      ok.

Figured this one was coming. I'm one of the most anti-welfare people on Earth. I wish they'd eliminate all welfare...every bit of it.

But that's not the world we live in. And my sister has serious issues. Not the kind from doing drugs, being lazy ect. She's in the less than 1% that actually should be getting help. She's had two chances to get on permanent disability and get free money the rest of her life but she chose not to. So I have no doubt she'll go back to work once this is over.

Why should she sit back and use all her savings when this whole BS situation is zero her fault?
                      She should not sit back and use up her savings. I hope she can get the CARES Act figured out.

Comment

Unemployment benefits is not welfare.
                        She would probably most likely qualify for benefits.

Comment

Tim,
                          have her call TWC. I think she would qualify due to the COVID risk and her being at high risk. We are still slammed with calls but she should be able to get through.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                            Unemployment benefits is not welfare.
                            She would probably most likely qualify for benefits.
                            Just echoing what I heard the OP state in another UI thread. Sorry you missed it.

Comment

Just echoing what I heard the OP state in another UI thread. Sorry you missed it.
                              I can't keep up with them!!!
                              Tim, unemployment benefits is not welfare. In one way or another, the employee/employer pay into it. It's like insurance, when you need it, it's there. Way back when, that's what it used to be called, "Unemployment Insurance"!!

Comment

Working...
                              X