Units 122 & 125 in Newton Cty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Units 122 & 125 in Newton Cty

I've been looking over my Public Hunting Lands Map Booklet to identify bowhuning opportunities and I noticed these two units in Newton County. Unit 122 is over 20,000 acres and Unit 125 is over 7,000 acres. Most importantly, both allow deer hunting and hog hunting with archery equipment only...NO Firearms.

Do any of you know anything about these areas? I haven't been out there yet, but it looks like it's timber company land managed by TPWD. I'm wondering what the deer herd is like and how tough the hunting would be. It seems like alot of land for bowhunting only, so maybe it's not so heavily pressured.

From what I hear the poaching is really bad out that way, its practically in LA.

Comment

Havent gone and looked at it yet.......

Its right down the road from my lease, so I need to go check it out.

Drove by and didnt see any one parked on the roads yesterday.

Comment

The reason those two areas are bowhunting only is because of the poaching with dogs. It was the only way they could stop the dogs. It still gets poached, but it has been cut down. There are some really good deer that come out of there that are not advertised for ob reasons. I had a lease just 2 miles from there for 18 yrs.

Comment

The reason those two areas are bowhunting only is because of the poaching with dogs. It was the only way they could stop the dogs. It still gets poached, but it has been cut down. There are some really good deer that come out of there that are not advertised for ob reasons. I had a lease just 2 miles from there for 18 yrs.
          So what do they do now use dogs with bows,? LOL. East texas trips me out, texas outlawed chasing deer with dogs way back in 1990.

Comment

I know a person who hunted the 20,000 acres this year, he said it was hard hunting but worth the 48 dollars for the permit. He said he hunted several times and saw deer just about every sit. He also told me that everytime they went hunting he never saw anyone else hunting at the same time. So give it a try you never can tell.

Comment

Last post on this thread was in 2008. Has there been anyone hunt this unit since then? I been thinking about giving it a try this season.

Comment

Ya'll stay out of my huntin area! There are no deer in East Texas!...lol J/K Actually unit 122is the heart of some of my prime time hunting area.

There definitely are some nice bucks around, but they are mostly pine farm bucks that tend to have fairly wide travel patterns. The unit is split by hwy 87. The east side has some nice "canyon" country, but besides that it is mostly pine farms and clearcuts. Locating a funnels through these pine farms is what it most of the hunting revolves around.

It would be good to look at the topo maps and satellite photos of the areas before you head out to scout. mapper.acme.com
                is great.

Also, the maps in the Public Hunting books are inaccurate and the Parks and Wildlife people couldn't care less. They are off about 200 yards. When you study the maps, look where the power lines and pipelines cross the roads, and such. You will see that these will give you fales bearings and increase chances of getting on private land. Watch for blue/purple paint lines.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks! That is some good info. Appreciate you passing it along. The east side of hwy 87 was the first area I plan to check out but do you know anything about the land west of hwy 87? Especially around the north area of the airport?

Comment

I had a lease out that way years ago. Lots of great deer during archery season, but when gun season starts its over with.

Comment

Originally posted by buckmastertexas View Post
                      Also, the maps in the Public Hunting books are inaccurate and the Parks and Wildlife people couldn't care less.
                      And how did you come up with that statement? TPWD takes great stride in their efforts to make sure those lands are signed correctly and/or if they are inaccurate by any means (those properties have been reduced by the timber company over the years, it should be sent to the District Leader office for that area.

Gary Calkins
                      District Leader
                      289 CR 98
                      Jasper, TX 75951

Comment

Well I can't say that the maps are inaccurate since I haven't stepped foot on any of the properties yet, but judging from the maps in last years book I would like to see TP&W put a little better and more detailed map in the APH book. That would probably drive up costs though. An alternative would be to have more detailed available for each unit that would be available for purchase. That way someone could buy the maps of only the areas their interested in.

Comment

Check out the canyons on FM 1414

Comment

Thanks. Will do. Is it pretty steep and rugged?

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
                              Thanks. Will do. Is it pretty steep and rugged?
                              291-2224
                              Give me a call, we can get together and I'll show you some of that area

Comment

Working...
                              X