Drawn for Laguna Atascosa Archery Exotic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azzy View Post
    I got drawn the same date. Kinda sucks they would do a culling before they opened it for hunters that would've taken care of the problem. Also got drawn for LRGV in January, not sure what to do
    Hunters don't kill near enough to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
      Hunters don't kill near enough to help.
      Yup. Laguna has been hunted for the past who knows how many years. That's why they brought in helicopters.

Comment

Helicopter culling before a hunt...and sounds like they drew a ton of people....good luck if yall decide to go....you will need it!

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
          Helicopter culling before a hunt...and sounds like they drew a ton of people....good luck if yall decide to go....you will need it!
          Don't be a hater Chief ��

We go to granger despite the heli hunts

Comment

I was also drawn for this hunt and will be alone. Never been there but I may have a local contact, trying to locate him 817.368.3337

Brian

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

my dad and I will be there.

Comment

We got drawn, anyone know how the population is after the cull? Probably gonna call and talk to a park ranger this afternoon, 9 hr drive ahead of us if we make it down there.

Comment

Originally posted by DG1989 View Post
                  We got drawn, anyone know how the population is after the cull? Probably gonna call and talk to a park ranger this afternoon, 9 hr drive ahead of us if we make it down there.
                  What did they say ?

Comment

Originally posted by Swamphunterfw View Post

What did they say ?
                    Never got around to calling them. Remind me Monday Jo.

Comment

Just found out I got drawn for the 11/18-22nd. All I know about Nilgai is that they're tough!

Comment

My brother (nannyslammer) and I have been hunting the refuge for the past 5 years and killed 8 nilgai during that time with rifle and bow. The nilgai population has since decreased drastically. The first year we hunted for 4 days and saw anywhere from 20-30 nilgai a day. Last year which was our last due to the eradication of nilgai by helicopters. We had 4 guys in our group and only saw 1 calf nilgai in 4 days of hunting. It's a very tough and challenging hunt but can be very rewarding if in the right spot. Good luck to all who are going and watch out for rattlesnakes. There is no shortage of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DPerez905 View Post
                          My brother (nannyslammer) and I have been hunting the refuge for the past 5 years and killed 8 nilgai during that time with rifle and bow. The nilgai population has since decreased drastically. The first year we hunted for 4 days and saw anywhere from 20-30 nilgai a day. Last year which was our last due to the eradication of nilgai by helicopters. We had 4 guys in our group and only saw 1 calf nilgai in 4 days of hunting. It's a very tough and challenging hunt but can be very rewarding if in the right spot. Good luck to all who are going and watch out for rattlesnakes. There is no shortage of them.

Agreed. I've been hunting there for at least 10 years. Been seeing more deer and a lot less nilgai the last two. This tick eradication quarantine is all bogus. Good friend of mine has cattle within the quarantine zone and has his cattle checked often. None of those squirly ticks found in over a year.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                            Agreed. I've been hunting there for at least 10 years. Been seeing more deer and a lot less nilgai the last two. This tick eradication quarantine is all bogus. Good friend of mine has cattle within the quarantine zone and has his cattle checked often. None of those squirly ticks found in over a year.

Yeah in all honesty it has been within the last two years that the nilgai population has been very minimal out there. And I agree I haven't seen more deer until last year and seen some really really nice bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by DPerez905 View Post

wish you and the crew well with whatever is next. same story here 2 yr's ago saw one on stand, last yr none. feels like it has been done, like we rode a good horse into the ground. never looked forward so much to a place that handed out regular whoppings

when one door closes another opens, finally reached a point (retired) where i can do a two week trip spring turkey and another in fall for deer doing DIY public in Nebraska.

thinking there is going to be a large turnover of people in future, good luck to all the old faces and the new also.

final tally 2nilgai bow, 2 with gun, & whitetail buck the last day i hunted gonna miss the old girl.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                                The point of the quarantine is to keep it that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X