Brine, cure and smoke??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brine, cure and smoke??

Anyone ever done this to venison? I tried some today you can see in the pic and it was awesome! very tender and moist so I am trying to figure out how to make it. Guy that had it said it was brine, cured and smoked but another guy said cured and smoked so I am not sure. Anyone from the green screen have a recipe for this?
    Attached Files

I've done a few back straps wrapped in bacon, smoked at about 225. Usually only takes an hour or so. Turns out amazing.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
      I've done a few back straps wrapped in bacon, smoked at about 225. Usually only takes an hour or so. Turns out amazing.

yeah I have tried that myself and they do turn out really good that way! This was more like a big piece of jerky but very moist and tender and i think it was part of the ham?

Comment

Wet brine,we use 1 gallon water,1 cup kosher salt,1 cup sugar brown or white ,your preference. Then any seasoning you want to add for flavor.A deboned ham brine for 10-14 days at temp around 38.Remove from brine and cold water rinse to remove salt. Smoke and eat.

Comment

Not sure. Hudson's in Austin does smoked peppered backstraps and they are amazing. I have done them twice. They slice just like roast beef. I slice it thin and make sandwiches with it. My two little ones love it.

Comment

I'll give it a try with a ham off the deer I get this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Instinct View Post
              Wet brine,we use 1 gallon water,1 cup kosher salt,1 cup sugar brown or white ,your preference. Then any seasoning you want to add for flavor.A deboned ham brine for 10-14 days at temp around 38.Remove from brine and cold water rinse to remove salt. Smoke and eat.
              Instinct, what internal temp do you smoke the meat to?

Comment

If you add some cure to it,it can be cold smoked for as long as you like. Will have the pink ham taste and color.
                Otherwise low and slow,gradually take it up to 150-160.

Comment

If you add some cure to it,it can be cold smoked for as long as you like. Will have the pink ham taste and color.
                  Good deal. I love the pink ham taste and color so ill try that!

Comment

I have wet cured Deer Ham as well as Wild Pig. The cure I use is 2 teaspoons of Pink Cure Salt, 3/4 cup Kosher Salt, 1 cup brown sugar. (Per 10 lbs of meat). Mix in cold water and cover meat keep refrigerated for 2 weeks. Then I season and smoke the meat, it turns out great and I have converted family members to eat Wild Game.

Comment

Looks like and sounds similar to the process used to make pastrami.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie11 View Post
                        Anyone ever done this to venison? I tried some today you can see in the pic and it was awesome! very tender and moist so I am trying to figure out how to make it. Guy that had it said it was brine, cured and smoked but another guy said cured and smoked so I am not sure. Anyone from the green screen have a recipe for this?
                        I use this and I think it is fantastic!

Here is a basic brine recipe to try to make one -gallon of brine for venison tenderloins. This should be adequate to cover one whole back-strap.
                        1 Gallon of Water
                        ¾ Cup of Salt
                        ½ Cup of regular soy sauce
                        ¼ Cup Worcestershire sauce
                        ½ cup of brown sugar
                        1 tbs. rosemary
                        2 tbs. pepper

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post

sounds good

Comment

How long do you smoke at this temp?

Comment

Looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X