Ok guys school me on ridges in E Tx.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok guys school me on ridges in E Tx.

Our part of E Tx is bottom land and there's not many big ridges mostly just humps in the land .
    Howch of a rise makes a ridge, what make a good huntable ridge, how do you set up

Sent from my LM-X210CMR using Tapatalk

A single trail (faint) along any rise coming from a creek, preferably wooded.
    Or a good pinoak flat that opens up without any understory?
    Wind will generally be more predictable than down in the bottoms.

Comment

I’ve seen less than 2’ in elevation make a trail you would trip in.

As far as a huntable ridge: (without sounding like a smart @$$) one that deer use to get from point a to b. Not all ridges are used and not all ridges are huntable. Wind currents especially on big ones can be unusable or picky even.
      Last edited by Low Fence; 10-13-2018, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I’ve got similar terrain above a creek bottom. The bucks tend to run the hill up and down to catch scent on a few cross ridge trails the does travel. Someone will give some helpful facts I’m sure. I’ve always hunted the bottom and stayed off the ridges but might have missed some deer too. It’s just too thick in our area to get on

Comment

The theory is that bucks will travel parallel to the ridges down from the top a little way on the downwind side. I have seen these trails while working in the “big woods” in Shelby County. I know they were buck trails because they had old rubs on them. No ridges to speak of where I hunt though.

Comment

The best one is full of acorns and white oak acorns are the best imo

Comment

A hump in the ground is a ridge?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

When you hear people speak of hunting ridges, especially the midwest, they are talking about hunting beds. Deer, bucks especially, will bed on the leeward side of a hill or ridge. This lets them wind anything behind them while being able to watch in front of them. Beds are generally on the slope of the point of a ridge depending on the wind, and beds will change depending on the wind.

In your case, any "hump" or rise in the terrain will create movement/bedding. Doesn't have to be much. A faster rise and fall ridge would be better than a slow and gradual. It's kind of hard to explain without actually seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
                  Our part of E Tx is bottom land and there's not many big ridges mostly just humps in the land .
                  Howch of a rise makes a ridge, what make a good huntable ridge, how do you set up

Man you have asked a question that has a multi faceted answer. My number one thing I look for is a low spot on a ridge that some people call a saddle. Every animal walking through there, that wants to cross the ridge will cross right there.

The next thing I look for is where multiple ridge points come together in one general area dumping into a bottom. It is a great place for any animal wanting to traverse from one ridge to another.

Another thing I look for is side trails running parallel on the ridge. What deer will do is they will travel and bed on the down wind side of these ridge sides and as the wind rolls over the ridge it will dip all the way into the bottom and will climb back up(thermal) the low pressure side of the ridge thus keying the deer to whats in the bottom and whats on top of the ridge also. Trust me I know, been busted enough, but the payoff is great if you can get away with it.

One last thing, if you can find a ridge that has a bluff overlooking a bottom, it can be a awesome place to ambush a buck, especially if the ridge on one end or the other plays off into a bottom and has a thicket on top. Bucks will lay on top looking into the bottom and can smell the bottom using thermals. One of the best places I ever hunted was like this. Killed my first big buck hunting a place like this.

If you have any questions I will be glad to discuss it with you.

Comment

Can you post a topo screenshot of the place you are asking about?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
                      Can you post a topo screenshot of the place you are asking about?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                      I would love to see this, especially if anyone here can decipher it.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                        I would love to see this, especially if anyone here can decipher it.

Agree. Make sure to throw in the Lat Long and the latest pics of your shooter bucks.

[emoji12]

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                          Man you have asked a question that has a multi faceted answer. My number one thing I look for is a low spot on a ridge that some people call a saddle. Every animal walking through there, that wants to cross the ridge will cross right there.

The next thing I look for is where multiple ridge points come together in one general area dumping into a bottom. It is a great place for any animal wanting to traverse from one ridge to another.

Another thing I look for is side trails running parallel on the ridge. What deer will do is they will travel and bed on the down wind side of these ridge sides and as the wind rolls over the ridge it will dip all the way into the bottom and will climb back up(thermal) the low pressure side of the ridge thus keying the deer to whats in the bottom and whats on top of the ridge also. Trust me I know, been busted enough, but the payoff is great if you can get away with it.

One last thing, if you can find a ridge that has a bluff overlooking a bottom, it can be a awesome place to ambush a buck, especially if the ridge on one end or the other plays off into a bottom and has a thicket on top. Bucks will lay on top looking into the bottom and can smell the bottom using thermals. One of the best places I ever hunted was like this. Killed my first big buck hunting a place like this.

If you have any questions I will be glad to discuss it with you.
                          Area I'm hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                            Agree. Make sure to throw in the Lat Long and the latest pics of your shooter bucks.

[emoji12]
                            Lol Thats not what I was talking about. I honestly want to learn how to read one as it relates to hunting.

Comment

Area I'm hunting.

The left side of your map looks very interesting, showing multiple elevation changes and looks like the ridge is running N and S.

Top right side of map right under the word Zone, looks good where the ridge kinda squeezes together. On the S side of the EW running ridge will be good also. Especially on cold days.

Any Oaks?

Just W of the green and red circles, that EW ridge looks good at that skinny spot.

Im assuming this is the area you are leasing? Its always better if you can walk it. If you have a climber, that would be a good idea to walk it and when you find a concentration of sign hang and hunt it.
                              Last edited by lovemylegacy; 10-14-2018, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X