Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Traditional Hunting (When Rifle not bow)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have only dabbled in blackpowder, but many here enjoy it and I understand the draw.

Comment

Mine is not that nice, but I have a Pedersoli Sharps in .45/70. I also enjoy using my Lyman Great Plains rifle in .54, I use patched round balls and real blackpowder in it.

Comment

Very cool.

Comment

Sweet Rifle!

Comment

Have a few also and have hunted hogs and deer. The heaver guns are not much fun to carry around in the woods so the bottom one, a No.1 Sporting rifle, I just use for bench and prone shooting. It weighs in a little over 12 lbs. as it has a 30" heavy barrel. The top one is a Saddle rifle in 40-70 Gov. BN, a little over 9 lbs. I no longer have the second one down and the third one down is a Montana Roughrider in 45-70 Gov. with a half round standard barrel and is really about the same weight as my Saddle rifle. I haven't had a chance to hunt with it yet but hope to someday. I have shot it at the range and it is extremely accurate. It may be my favorite of them all. I only shoot and reload with black powder because that is what they were originally designed to shoot. You can shoot and reload with modern smokeless but I just don't choose to do so. They shoot better and are more accurate with BP.

Like Shiloh old west firearms and especially single shot rifles might be my second favorite pastime next to traditional archery.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Straitshot; 11-17-2015, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Dang nice rifles! Any pics of the cartridges and the cast bullets?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	24416222

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	24416223

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	24416224 Here's mine 45-110. With a MVA sight.

Comment

I have been trying to get it done with a 50cal Hawken. For a few years now.
                  I take it to NM to the lease. Missed a big mule deer last year.

Your rifle is sweet. I may need some advice on casting my own bullets.
                  I came across about 30 lbs of lead i just neet a mold now

Comment

I have an old 45-70 my grandfather bought in the 1890s that I grew up shooting. I started loading black powder in the 80s and also hunted with a Thompson Hawken Cougar in 50 cal. and a Renegade in 54 cal.
                    I last hunted with them in 1986 when I went completely archery. I really enjoyed it at the time and I still have them. Like archery it can be challenging especially hunting in the rain with a cap/flint lock.
                    Your right about the sound of the rifle and the impact.

Beautiful rifle.

JC

Comment

Nice rifles everyone! I've had a couple of Encore barrels in 45-70 that I used to load hot-rod ammo for. NOT FUN to shoot lol. I also have a TC Hawken 50 cal that I have used on one deer and one hog, as well as a Traditions 50 cal pistol.

It sure is fun to take a break from the fast-paced guns I use in USPSA and go completely old school every once in awhile.

Comment

Working...
                      X