No announcement yet.

Cattle spooking deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer will be used to cattle and ranch activity by the time the season roles around. That normal activity is not as bad as new traffic from hunters rolling out before daylight.

Comment

Originally posted by ldsalmon View Post
      Well its either that or I'll just compensate my loss with a freezer full of beef
      Once again, good luck with all that.

Comment

Wrist Rocket with marbles for close range, steel ball bearings for more distance. Get one cow to jump and run and they'll all leave.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
          Good luck with all that.
          If you attempt to invoice the rancher ,you had better have another ranch to go to...he won't see any humor in it....

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            The rancher riding around every morning/evening to check the cattle (if he does that) will spook a lot more deer than the cattle themselves do.
            x2. An old white chevy full of feed, driving around honking his horn has ruined many a hunt for me.

Comment

Most of the time the cattle will not bother your hunting. They can provide noise and scent control. I own cattle, and I would not appreciate my lessee shooting them with a marble or ball bearing. I know you pay money for your lease, but I would not advise you to shoot someone's cattle (even if it might not hurt them). I just don't believe that is the right thing to do. Most of the time they will just mosey along.

Also, the leases that have been drafted for my dad's hunters have a provision in them for his livestock. My dad is a farmer/rancher, he is more worried about crops (hates deer for eating them) and his livestock than he is about his hunters (hunting is side money). That being said, that provision would get you evicted without any reimbursement.
              Last edited by dataxman; 08-20-2013, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Winman View Post
                If you attempt to invoice the rancher ,you had better have another ranch to go to...he won't see any humor in it....
                Well considering he leases the grazing rights from our family, it might be the other way around. He is a long-time friend of my grandfathers, who gave him the permission to put them there in the first place. He is more concerned with $$$ than our hunting success.

Comment

Cows can be a pain in the .....backside! Or at least that has been "my" experience hunting with them in the area.

I have run them off and chased them throwing rocks. One turned around to look at me and I didn't realize my aim was so good until I hit her smack in the forehead. I felt bad about it.....until I climbed back in the blind and here she comes again. GRRRRRRR!

I have video of me running in front of a blind chasing a white ornery bull (LOL). I was so mad at the time, I didn't care it was a bull. A few weeks later, when I was out with Adam and Cody bowfishing, and that same dang bull snorted , scraped his feet and made like he was going to run us over....I thought maybe that chase might not have been such a good idea! LOL

I don't like hunting with cows. They have ALWAYS run the deer off when I have been hunting and they made an appearance. And if in the area...they always seen to make that dang appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                    Cows can be a pain in the .....backside! Or at least that has been "my" experience hunting with them in the area.

I have run them off and chased them throwing rocks. One turned around to look at me and I didn't realize my aim was so good until I hit her smack in the forehead. I felt bad about it.....until I climbed back in the blind and here she comes again. GRRRRRRR!

I have video of me running in front of a blind chasing a white ornery bull (LOL). I was so mad at the time, I didn't care it was a bull. A few weeks later, when I was out with Adam and Cody bowfishing, and that same dang bull snorted , scraped his feet and made like he was going to run us over....I thought maybe that chase might not have been such a good idea! LOL

I don't like hunting with cows. They have ALWAYS run the deer off when I have been hunting and they made an appearance. And if in the area...they always seen to make that dang appearance.

This is what I am worried about... why does beef have to taste so good!

Comment

Originally posted by ldsalmon View Post
                      Well considering he leases the grazing rights from our family, it might be the other way around. He is a long-time friend of my grandfathers, who gave him the permission to put them there in the first place. He is more concerned with $$$ than our hunting success.
                      Well, if in essence you are the rancher, that does change things considerably. That woulda been a handy little detail to know.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                        Well, if in essence you are the rancher, that does change things considerably. That woulda been a handy little detail to know.
                        Not exactly... lol

We don't own the cattle or have a say in where they are, and when I say we I mean the "hunting side" of the family. If we had it our way the whole place would be cattle free and strictly dedicated to wildlife management. However, we don't get to make those kind of calls and until us shooting whitetails puts money in in my grandfathers pocket, we are SOL.

Comment

Originally posted by dataxman View Post
                          Most of the time the cattle will not bother your hunting. They can provide noise and scent control. I own cattle, and I would not appreciate my lessee shooting them with a marble or ball bearing. I know you pay money for your lease, but I would not advise you to shoot someone's cattle (even if it might not hurt them). I just don't believe that is the right thing to do. Most of the time they will just mosey along.

Also, the leases that have been drafted for my dad's hunters have a provision in them for his livestock. My dad is a farmer/rancher, he is more worried about crops (hates deer for eating them) and his livestock than he is about his hunters (hunting is side money). That being said, that provision would get you evicted without any reimbursement.
                          and should they also refrain from honking at them if they happen to be in the road. i am certainly glad my rancher hasn't gone to naming his cows, or taken up hinduism.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonsdaddy View Post
                            and should they also refrain from honking at them if they happen to be in the road. i am certainly glad my rancher hasn't gone to naming his cows, or taken up hinduism.

1. I don't think you would have an easy time finding a Hindu farmer/rancher to let you hunt.
                            2. It would be hard to name a few hundred head of cattle
                            3. A lot if cattle are trained to come to the sound of the horn.
                            4. Just pointing out some of the liability. A shot (even though unlikely) to the wrong place could cause damage.

Comment

Had 3 longhorns on a small, 80-ac place I hunt. I used my slingshot liberally, shooting 5/16" nuts out of bulk hardware from TSC. Shoot 'em in the flank just ahead of the hind leg, shoot the bulls in the bag, or shoot either in the horns. After getting them trained, all I had to do was draw and release, no projectile, and the sound had 'em hauling--

Comment

cows kill the hunting on my lease. its 190 acres and our sightings/pics go up dramatically when the cows are in a different pasture. i hate cows.

Comment

Working...
                                X