More Culling Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Culling Info

So, what will culling eliminate? The truth is that culling for anything other than to keep herd numbers in check, which is otherwise known as hunting, will only adversely affect herd balance and structure. Even by eradicating a mature buck that according to several years’ worth of evidence has never had great antler quality, you’re also removing something imperative to a healthy deer population: structure and balance.

Good read, thanks!

Comment

great read.

Comment

You cannot affect genetics as a hunter, and you cannot influence genetics through selective culling in wild deer populations.” ..... only sentence in the article that needs to be read. I've been saying this for years, unless you're high fenced you will not alter your herds genetic plain. And if you are high fenced it still takes years to manipulate your genetics....

Comment

I enjoyed that read, but again its easy to enjoy an article you agree with.......

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
            You cannot affect genetics as a hunter, and you cannot influence genetics through selective culling in wild deer populations.” ..... only sentence in the article that needs to be read. I've been saying this for years, unless you're high fenced you will not alter your herds genetic plain. And if you are high fenced it still takes years to manipulate your genetics....
            Totally agree. It sure is hard when talking to other hunters that believe genetics is as simple as big bucks make big bucks and little bucks make little bucks.

Comment

Low Fence, yeah it would take a long long time. Bucks just travel too far this way and that way.

High Fence and introduced Texas pen raised genetics, totally different Animal.

Comment

Great read! Especially the part where he says if a buck steps into your shooting lane that you want, then take the shot. Sure wish the State of Texas would allow me to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                  Low Fence, yeah it would take a long long time. Bucks just travel too far this way and that way.

High Fence and introduced Texas pen raised genetics, totally different Animal.

Wait, you jumped animals. Once genetics are introduced, you’re dealing with a different animal. Fencing in native deer and managing is completely different than introducing genetics when discussing culling.

Comment

Marked to read later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hoorah! The public tide is turning.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                        Wait, you jumped animals. Once genetics are introduced, you’re dealing with a different animal. Fencing in native deer and managing is completely different than introducing genetics when discussing culling.
                        Yes, a far superior Whitetail. And it All has to do with genetics. You high fence boys have the edge on low fence because you are restricting movement and keeping the deer from being killed by neighbors. Culling(killing) on your places will make a difference. I have the edge on you high fence boys because I am controlling the breeding, only the best to the best, year in and year out.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                          Yes, a far superior Whitetail. And it All has to do with genetics. You high fence boys have the edge on low fence because you are restricting movement and keeping the deer from being killed by neighbors. Culling(killing) on your places will make a difference. I have the edge on you high fence boys because I am controlling the breeding, only the best to the best, year in and year out.
                          Edge? You don’t have an edge. You are raising hybrids and trying to call them superior to natives.

They aren’t superior, they are different. In fact most breeder deer are inferior when correctly compared to other breeder deer, because they all fall on a curve as well.

Apples and Oranges need to get compared to other apples and other oranges. If you have a rotten orange, don’t try to convince everyone else that it’s really a ripe apple.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                            Edge? You don’t have an edge. You are raising hybrids and trying to call them superior to natives.

They aren’t superior, they are different. In fact most breeder deer are inferior when correctly compared to other breeder deer, because they all fall on a curve as well.

Apples and Oranges need to get compared to other apples and other oranges. If you have a rotten orange, don’t try to convince everyone else that it’s really a ripe apple.
                            Lol, how is breeding a Whitetail to a Whitetail a hybrid?
                            If you are such a "purist" then take down that top 4 feet of fence and those pellet feeders and let nature take it's course.

Comment

I have over 4 miles of high fence to keep one neighbor’s frankendeer off my property. If one were to break into my ranch, he’d be shot on sight.

Comment

Working...
                              X