Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No matter what it’ll look better than the current situation

Comment

Be ready for the ‘cave effect’ with the LED’s vs. what you have there.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
        Be ready for the ‘cave effect’ with the LED’s vs. what you have there.

I can’t stand these fixtures and think they’re hideous. I’ll have to google the cave effect to know what you’re talking about, but hoping the LEDs will be a big improvement over the globes.

Comment

I swapped out all of globe lights with recessed lighting. I believe I bought the kit at Home Depot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by zbest_hunter View Post
            I swapped out all of globe lights with recessed lighting. I believe I bought the kit at Home Depot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

True recessed lights? Did you have access above the ceiling or how did you do it?

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
              True recessed lights? Did you have access above the ceiling or how did you do it?

The remodel cans or “pop-in” cans as we call them, come with a stencil. Look at your current box in the ceiling and see which side the stud is on. You would lay the stencil on the ceiling making sure to cover the current box but clear the joist. Cut the hole. Now that opening in ceiling is larger you can pry the current light box off. Connect wires to remodel can and install. Install trim and bulb. The issues you could run into is plumbing pipes, ac ducts, and wires that end up being in the way. Also a full size 6” can will need a minimum of 2x8 floor joist. If it’s a 2x6 you will need to use shallow cans and be forced to use a r-30 size bulb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                The remodel cans or “pop-in” cans as we call them, come with a stencil. Look at your current box in the ceiling and see which side the stud is on. You would lay the stencil on the ceiling making sure to cover the current box but clear the joist. Cut the hole. Now that opening in ceiling is larger you can pry the current light box off. Connect wires to remodel can and install. Install trim and bulb. The issues you could run into is plumbing pipes, ac ducts, and wires that end up being in the way. Also a full size 6” can will need a minimum of 2x8 floor joist. If it’s a 2x6 you will need to use shallow cans and be forced to use a r-30 size bulb.

You don't want to attempt this. You have 15 chances that something will be in the way after you cut a hole and a can won't fit. Then you have a hole to fix. I would bet good money that you would have more than a couple that wouldn't fit because something is in the way.

Comment

It's easy. Prepare to repair some s/r.

That's not an issue and the more you repair, the better you'll get at it.

Use cfl or led lights and you won't have to worry with overheating units AND the lumens will be much better.

Comment

I'd do the LED's that pop into a standard outlet box like they said above.

If you really want cans... just buy remodel cans. Cut the hole, pull the wire down. Wire in the can, then you slip the whole can into the ceiling. Its very easy.

Electrician Charles Vargas upgrades some ceiling lights. (See below for a shopping list and tools.)SUBSCRIBE to This Old House: http://bit.ly/SubscribeThisOl...

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                      I'd do the LED's that pop into a standard outlet box like they said above.

If you really want cans... just buy remodel cans. Cut the hole, pull the wire down. Wire in the can, then you slip the whole can into the ceiling. Its very easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37pzurgTMj8

I ordered the ones above from amazon. Should be in today, I’ll try to pop a couple on after work and see how they look. Will update here.

Thanks for the tips everyone

Comment

Comment

Well, looks pretty good and does not have a cave appearance at all.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

That’s what I’m talking about. Best $90 ever spent

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                              That’s what I’m talking about. Best $90 ever spent

Thanks! A couple have a small gap I’m not fond of where the junction boxes weren’t installed flush with the ceiling, but its unnoticeable with the lights on.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                                Thanks! A couple have a small gap I’m not fond of where the junction boxes weren’t installed flush with the ceiling, but its unnoticeable with the lights on.

You can take a dremel and cut the excess off. Then reinstall the lights

Comment

Working...
                                X