Barter question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barter question..

I have a lawn guy/handyman that is very interested in my Jeep Grand Cherokee that I used as a lease ride.. don't have the lease any more so have just been using it as a weekend toy.

I threw an amount out and he thought it was reasonable.. but the kicker is he wants to barter some services for it.

Only reason I was thinking of selling it was to put money in the bank, which isn't exactly the case.

So to those that may have done this... did your price change when it wasn't all cash? I am assuming I would need to write up a contract spelling all this out.

I want to still get 60% cash outta the deal.

Thanks for your input.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

In my opinion it would be nuts to trade anything for future service. No way to force a person to provide service if they "got busy" else where.

Comment

Yep. Good way to have another thread complaining how you got burned.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Need to bump my post count some how! Ha ha

Comment

Barter is fine if you get done what you need done and prior to releasing the tangible asset to them.......base what work that gets bartered is at what cost you would have to pay to have it done not how much time it takes him......

Comment

What services will he provide?

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
              Barter is fine if you get done what you need done and prior to releasing the tangible asset to them.......base what work that gets bartered is at what cost you would have to pay to have it done not how much time it takes him......
              Yeah.. I was thinking of replacing a couple doors and maybe painting the house.

I hated the idea of asking him to give up the pricing without a 3rd party price.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                What services will he provide?
                Right now... replacing some doors, maybe paint the house. Maybe a deck.

The deal was he does labor. I buy the materials.

Comment

Go ahead a barter with him, but under these terms:

He pays you 100% cash now;
                  Then, you make installment payments to him each time he cuts your lawn until you pay him 40%.

Comment

Originally posted by r_u_sharp_2 View Post
                    Right now... replacing some doors, maybe paint the house. Maybe a deck.

The deal was he does labor. I buy the materials.

Is the value of labor in line with the value of the vehicle?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      Is the value of labor in line with the value of the vehicle?
                      Not in my opinion.

So let's say my Jeep is worth 5k.. I am getting maybe 2k in labor. So I want 3k in cash.

Comment

I much prefer a used vehicle deal to be complete as soon as the new owner drives off. He'll be telling you how it's a POS and he shouldn't owe you anything before you get your end of the work done. Unless he's willing to do all the work before taking delivery.

Comment

Just a recipe for too many things to go wrong. Who cares if you keep the title; a wrecked or broken down vehicle is just that.

At the end of the day, you have basically have no upside on the deal; so unless you just want to do the guy a favor, there's not much in it for you. Perhaps the value of his services could exceed the debt, but I'm not sure why he would agree to do that nor feel obligated.

The only way I would even consider doing it -
                          1. You trust and know this guy pretty well
                          2. He makes the 60% cash down payment up-front
                          3. You keep vehicle in your possession until all work is completed and approved to fulfill the remaining debt.

Comment

Originally posted by r_u_sharp_2 View Post
                            Not in my opinion.

So let's say my Jeep is worth 5k.. I am getting maybe 2k in labor. So I want 3k in cash.

He gives you $3K to take off market. He has 30 days to perform work to your satisfaction. Once work is complete he gets to take possession of vehicle.

Under no circumstances does he get possession of vehicle until work is completed and you have $3K cash.

Comment

Hold the title till payed off

Comment

Working...
                              X