Home Wifi Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Wifi Issues

At home I have internet through the cable company and have their 100 MB service. Hooked direct to the modem I get 100+, on my work laptop via wifi I get 100+.

The problem I have is with my iPhone, iPad, and DIRECTV streaming. The speeds seems to fluctuate at about half the speed and tend to go up and down while I am running a test. Everyone once in awhile I will get 100+ on these devices but it is always short lived.

I have a $100 ASUS wifi router that is probably two years old.

Any ideas on what could be causing these issues? I am thinking it is something to do with my wifi router.

Could it be a setting or issue with the equipment? Maybe I need a good extender or a new router all together?

My house is a little over 3,600 sqft. The router and modem are upstairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the wifi access point rated for speed wise? Most are 300mb, but it's worth looking at that.

Generally themore devices you have connected to wifi the slower the connections will be. Network traffic will affect speeds

Comment

It may be interference with another device (especially if you're using the 2.4 GHz band). Try manually setting the channel to 1,6, or 11. https://www.extremetech.com/computin...-right-channel

Comment

Originally posted by atx_hunter View Post
        It may be interference with another device (especially if you're using the 2.4 GHz band). Try manually setting the channel to 1,6, or 11. https://www.extremetech.com/computin...-right-channel

or your neighbor. Most all Wifi router default to the same channel, so your neighbor might be on the same channel causing interference. another reason to test other channels.

Comment

First step is reboot "all" devices including router.

Comment

For a house that big you'll likely need a far better router. Which Asus do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by txjustin View Post
              For a house that big you'll likely need a far better router. Which Asus do you have?

Rt-n66r.

Any suggestions?

I noticed google has a multi unit router

Comment

Agree with most things here. Do you have a crowded house? I did a heat map on empty (except for beds/desks)college dorms measuring how well signal traveled from access points, and you'd be surprised how much just closets/beds cause interference. If you have issues after trying different channels, you could look at putting a 5.0 ghz router in the opposite areas of the house, depending on layout. 5 ghz is a "denser" signal, but wont travel well through interference, so you can concentrate areas of connectivity without causing your own interference and dealig with neighbors interference.

Comment

Check your wifi settings. Make sure it isnt throttling those devices down.

Comment

Originally posted by RJK70 View Post
                    Rt-n66r.

Any suggestions?

Ubiquiti! They offer more commercial grade wifi products. If your house is already prewired you can setup access points or just run some cables for access points.

I would get the Edge Max router and and their AC LR access point and start with that. All in one wifi routers work OK if you are close to the unit and only have a few items in use.

Not sure about the google wifi mesh ... The whole mesh setup is still somewhat new. The review of other mesh system have been OK, they generally work alright if you don't stream a lot.

Comment

Rt-n66r.

Any suggestions?

Update the firmware on your router

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by altez View Post
                        Ubiquiti! They offer more commercial grade wifi products. If your house is already prewired you can setup access points or just run some cables for access points.

I would get the Edge Max router and and their AC LR access point and start with that. All in one wifi routers work OK if you are close to the unit and only have a few items in use.

Not sure about the google wifi mesh ... The whole mesh setup is still somewhat new. The review of other mesh system have been OK, they generally work alright if you don't stream a lot.

https://store.ubnt.com/

Interesting. My house is not prewired throughout. Would one of these good units cover my entire home?

Comment

Interesting. My house is not prewired throughout. Would one of these good units cover my entire home?

Not sure. It covers most of my house but my house isn't too big. Some of the user reviews say one unit covered their two story house and some.

Comment

Possibly look into installing a repeater to extend your signal throughout your house

Comment

If all your devices are streaming on the wifi at the same time then you will lose bandwidth. The 100 Mbps will drop to maintain the bandwidth each device wants, movies, gaming, streaming music etc. it's not a problem with the router it's the demand on the bandwidth- speed. Each device is greedy and wants the 100 Mbps to its self. That's why when only one device is on the wifi router then it has all 100 Mbps to itself with no issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X