Why are does so high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are does so high?

Monday I should close on a small high fence place. As soon as I finish the last 1600 foot of fence, I was going to buy a few deer . Nothing high breed just 8 or 10 does to have something to look at while I work getting the place in shape. I have found several places that will sell exotic does, Axis or Fallow for around $250.00 each but whitetails are WAY high. at least $1000.00 each.
    Not complaining but just curious as to why they are so high. It doesn't cost much to go shoot them but getting them alive is way up there. Are they hard to catch or is there alot of paper work?

My guess would be the paperwork involved. How about leaving a gate open with a feeder near by and then closing it when there is a good group of deer eating under the feeder......

Comment

I would think because they are native animals and have more restrictions on them??

Comment

Are they bred does? Could be part of the cost factor.

Comment

Are you talking about TTT deer or deer from a breeder? The trap and transport deer would be from the capture cost, ranch fee where caught and transportation as well as a lot of paperwork.
          The ones from breeders usually are based on the deer's genetics, age and gender. Think the does are expensive, ask about the bucks...lol If, from breeder would suggest getting ones that are already bred.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
            How about leaving a gate open with a feeder near by and then closing it when there is a good group of deer eating under the feeder......
            Technically, I believe that would be illegal. Maybe a GW will post a different interpretation, but I think closing in a baited, whitetail deer is considered trapping. And, without a permit, well...

Comment

Cost of does are going up as the knowledge that they carry more than 50% of the genes of what their sons racks will do. More so than the father of that buck fawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Gladesgator View Post
                Are you talking about TTT deer or deer from a breeder? The trap and transport deer would be from the capture cost, ranch fee where caught and transportation as well as a lot of paperwork.
                The ones from breeders usually are based on the deer's genetics, age and gender. Think the does are expensive, ask about the bucks...lol If, from breeder would suggest getting ones that are already bred.
                I had wondered what TTT deer stood for .... Thanks

Comment

If they are from a reputable breeder $1k is really cheap. If they are from a fly by night guy $1k is very expensive. Their is a permit cost factor with whitetails that exotics dont have.

Bottom line, deer are not cheap.

Comment

People "trap" deer in high fences all the time. I wouldn't see this being any different.

Just leave a section or gate open until u have some deer around

sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cwiatrek View Post
                      People "trap" deer in high fences all the time. I wouldn't see this being any different.
                      A permit is required to dart/trap wild deer even in a high fence. Typically it runs from September to Spring and they have to be released again after breeding.

Comment

I would imagine the does are so high because of genetics...as others have stated!

Comment

Like others have said, does are high because their genetics are the dominant ones more than 50% of the time... which makes them actually more important than the buck in more than half the cases...

Comment

The doe is what make a good bucks. You want does out of big bucks and the doe passes it on. Thats the best way to put it.

Comment

I would NOT buy a $1000 doe. You would be better off with native stuff.

Good doe are a lot more expensive than that and totally worth it.

I am not much for talking about all of this but, if you want to pm me your email and number i would be happy to discuss it with you. I am not a breeder but have done lots of work with released does!

Comment

Working...
                              X