No announcement yet.

Help, smoking Pork shoulder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I let mine go to 205 then wrap in towel and place in a ice chest for at least an HR before
    I pull it. Always wrap mine at 165 and coat them with a butter brown sugar mixture on top.

Comment

Pulled it at 195. Gonna let it rest for an hour, should hit 200 that way. I took a picture of it but have no clue how to post pictures here lol. It definitely hit a stall at 170-172 stayed there for forever.

Comment

I wrap in butcher paper at 165....pull it between 200 and 205. Wrap in towel and put in a cooler for at least an hour....MONEY!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Williams4298 View Post
          Pulled it at 195. Gonna let it rest for an hour, should hit 200 that way. I took a picture of it but have no clue how to post pictures here lol. It definitely hit a stall at 170-172 stayed there for forever.

Pulled it at 195 to get to 200?

No patience with this one

Comment

Patience grasshopper.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Pulled it at 195 to get to 200?

No patience with this one
              Especially after i just wrote not to do that specific thing haha

Comment

So close

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t think I would listen to Smart....

Everything he spouts, he is quoting from boobtube... he just started last week. [emoji23][emoji23]

Hi Jason.

Comment

Help, smoking Pork shoulder question

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                    I don’t think I would listen to Smart....

Everything he spouts, he is quoting from boobtube... he just started last week. [emoji23][emoji23]

Hi Jason.

Hey hey! Two Fridays ago!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                      Especially after i just wrote not to do that specific thing haha
                      I didn’t see your post till after. I had a place to be and was running outta time so I pulled at 195 that way I could at least let it rest for a bit. Regardless it turned out really good and I was happy with the results. The bone pulled out perfectly.

Comment

I didn’t see your post till after. I had a place to be and was running outta time so I pulled at 195 that way I could at least let it rest for a bit. Regardless it turned out really good and I was happy with the results. The bone pulled out perfectly.

Pork butt/shoulders are very forgiving so I'm glad it worked out for you. Ive never heard anybody say, I'm gonna pull BBQ at this because I know it will rise to my target pull off the smoker temp. Steaks maybe but BBQ no.. That's a first for me. But again glad it worked out.

When and if you start doing briskets, that 5-7 degrees can mean the difference between tough and deliciously tender. Briskets are a fickle bunch that have humbled all of us backyard "professional hacks".. There is a reason BBQ folks say "it is done......when its done.."

Comment

Haha its all good. Good eats anyway, just means you'll have to smoke more butts

Comment

Pork butt/shoulders are very forgiving so I'm glad it worked out for you. Ive never heard anybody say, I'm gonna pull BBQ at this because I know it will rise to my target pull off the smoker temp. Steaks maybe but BBQ no.. That's a first for me. But again glad it worked out.

When and if you start doing briskets, that 5-7 degrees can mean the difference between tough and deliciously tender. Briskets are a fickle bunch that have humbled all of us backyard "professional hacks".. There is a reason BBQ folks say "it is done......when its done.."
                            Well the reason I said that is I watched several videos and one even with the owner of franklin bbq in Austin. They all said when you pull it and rest it they will continue to cook so that’s where I got that from. It was a smaller pork butt so I was afraid it would dry out. Probably a rookie mistake ����*♂️. I’m learning though! This is also why I started with a butt and not a brisket, I wanna get butts down pat before I advance lol no need in screwing up good meat.
                            Last edited by Williams4298; 01-14-2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Well the reason I said that is I watched several videos and one even with the owner of franklin bbq in Austin. They all said when you pull it and rest it they will continue to cook so that’s where I got that from.
                              Got ya. What I meant was when folks pull from the smoker, folks pull at a desired temp on the grate knowing its going to get a little higher It's just easier to go with than hoping to hit a post pull temp... and you don't want to short yourself. That being said...folks have their preferences....some like 195 and it worked out for you....

And its dang near impossible to dry out a PB. It's a smokers dream.. keep on keeping on.

Comment

Got ya. What I meant was when folks pull from the smoker, folks pull at a desired temp on the grate knowing its going to get a little higher It's just easier to go with than hoping to hit a post pull temp... and you don't want to short yourself. That being said...folks have their preferences....some like 195 and it worked out for you....

And its dang near impossible to dry out a PB. It's a smokers dream.. keep on keeping on.
                                Oh I gotcha, thanks for your help! I do agree though I think if I had a little bit more time to Allow it to get to 200 it would have been that much better.

Comment

Working...
                                X