How do you like your Ecoboost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love mine. I get 15-16 mpg. highway.
    I get 9 mpg. pulling camper or larger trailer. 104k going strong.

Comment

I spent about 5 minutes behind the wheel of one. Power was incredible. Sales guy did it right and had me drive it first. V8 take off was pitiful after the ecoboost. I just couldn't pull the trigger. Went in all directions for about a year. Spent 10 grand more on a 3/4 ton powerstroke. I want a travel trailer and don't want regrets. If buying a half ton it would probably be the ecoboost but after having a 3/4 ton I don't care to ever go back. Your mileage may vary, no pun intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine is also the 2013 FX model. Best Ford model they've had in a while imo

Comment

Love my 2013 I get on average around 17mpg. I can get as good as 20mpg back and forth to work if I go the speed limit(ish). pulling my single axle trailer with ranger I get about 12-14 depending on head winds. For what I do its perfect, now if I was pulling a larger camper, I would consider the F250 but that depends on the size of camper, how far and how often I towed it.

Comment

2016 3.5 Eco here. I love it so far after about 5k miles.

If you're getting a '17 I'd suggest waiting until this summer as they just redesigned the engine and put in the 10 speed tranny. You wanna make sure the bugs are worked out 1st.

Comment

I have the 2013 3.5 Eco and love it! Best truck I've ever owned!

Comment

I've heard the 2.7 ecoboost has decent power but not good mileage because it's almost always in boost. A magazine did a test between the 2.7 ecoboost and the 5.0 v8. After an extensive test the ecoboost averaged 0.5 mpg better than the v8!

Comment

I have a 2011 Latiat and a 2015 Platinum. The 2015 has a lot nicer ride and more gadgets. Power is great on both. I pull a 22' boat, trailer a 4Runner and a tractor.

I put slotted rotors and ceramic breaks on the 2011 a few years ago and they help with slowing a heavy load. It has plenty of power, stopping isn't like a 3/4 ton with stock breaks. Last week I put new Accel coil packs on the 2011. $300 for the parts and took me just a need an hour. Fuel economy had been on the decrease for the last 10k miles. The new coil packs resolved that and I'm back to 17 in town and 19.5 on the road (I'd do better if I drive 70). I'm driving it to work this week and it is doing great.

Comment

'12 Ecoboost FX4 here. Just rolled 80k and have done the following:

one set of brakes
                    two sets of tires
                    Normal oil, fluid changes at recommended.

Last Saturday it was missing bad when I jumped on the gas. I was pulling our feed trailer back fro mthe feed store with two tons of feed. Called the ranch and they brought the F350 to pull it the rest of the way. Diagnosis was an engine coil. That, new plugs and a tuneup cost me $594 which is the first money I have put in it otherwise. I USE the truck almost every weekend and frankly abuse it towing sometimes.

I will buy a new truck in a year. I will buy another one unless I cant solve my need to pull a 24' gooseneck cattle trailer relatively often...then I would go 3/4 ton.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                      Truck shopping, seeing lots of Ecoboosts on the market. Hesitant because I don't know much about it. Don't tow often, but occasionally I drag a 16' utility trailer 1/2 full of firewood.
                      Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                      The motor itself its pretty solid. Test drive one before you buy. I test drove one before I bought my previous half ton (GMC), and the front end felt light and not sure footed like a normal heavy V8. I imagine the new ones are better. The new 3.5 ecoboost is going in the 2017 Raptors, and makes something like 600 HP, so it can be a pretty stout engine.

The block is all aluminum, so its lighter, twin turbo. One issue early on was in humid climates (Like Florida) the intercoolers did too good of job cooling the air, and would produce condensation inside, which caused misfire issues, but nothing major. This was on the previous generation of trucks, I don't think it is on the new ones. And on the latest body style, Ford makes a speakers make V8 sounds so it sounds like a V8. Kind of cheesy, but whatever. Personally I like the sound of a turbo.

Here's my hands on experience with the Ecoboost:

I currently drive a 2012 F150 super crew FX4, 3.5L Ecoboost, towing package w/3.73 gears, luxury package interior and all the other bells and whistles. I bought it brand new and love the truck. It hauls serious ace. I don't pull heavy stuff often but once I towed an 8'x12' portable building that was insulated and finished out inside to be living quarters on a 20' car hauler trailer from East TX to Abilene (deer camp) and averaged north of 65mph on the highway with zero issues. She was a little slow to brake that day, but still did fine

I had the same issue mentioned above about the intercoolers, twice. The first time I took it to the ford house they replaced the intercooler under warranty (late 2012). Then it started messing up 2 years later (2014) and I took it in and had them replace the plugs and wires and they put an air dam across the bottom 1/3 of the intercooler and I've not had an issue since.

With 33x12.50-20 Toyo MT's I get about 15mpg in the city and 17ish on the highway depending on the wind and my load. With the stock tires I averaged 19mpg. With BFG A/T's I only AVERAGED 14mpg, which was way worse.

She also has kept her value pretty well, too. My truck has every option you can get from ford except the power side steps and had them put in a spray in bedliner in before I picked it up, and I paid 38k and some change out the door (during Ford truck month in March). Now, 96k miles and almost 5 years later, shes still worth $24k according to kelley blue book if I sell to a private party.

Yes, I would recommend this truck to a friend

Comment

Love my Wife's Ecoboost. We pull a 6600 lb TT with it all the time.
                        I have the 5.0. Love it also, but the Eco blows it doors off when goosing it

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_Man View Post
                          I considered getting one until I drove the ram 1500 ecodiesel 3.0. that's what I own now. I'm averaging 24.4 mpg as we speak. on the highway i'll get up to 27 sometimes... in town its around 21. lots of torque, and pulls my mule pro fxt WAY better than my Nissan titan did. only complaint is the rear end is soft... I'm going to have to put bags on the back... the 5 link suspension handles very nice but squats when you tow anything over 4000 lbs.
                          DO NOT LET THE DEALER DO THE CURRENT FLASH! I immediately lost about 2-3 MPG when they reflashed it during an oil change last month. Highly ticked off about it and there is nothing you can do about it.

Comment

'13 Platinum 4X4. Got just over 120K miles... At 100K, new throttle body from carbon build up... Will now use addative to help with that. Had a '12 company truck... It blew the engine at 88K.. That scared me so I went back to dealer and got the extended warranty on my '13, but it will expire within the next 1000 miles... proved not to be needed... When I was having the throttle body issues, I was sick of that dang little motor, but I've sort of come around again. Mileage continues to improve. If I use cruise control on highway, I get over 20mpg... drivin' round town I get 15-17 or so.

When I moved all my stuff off our lease last summer, I towed a 20 food tandem axle trailer with my Chebby Z71 Crew on it and got 11 mpg and it towed it just fine at 75 mph+... I regularly tow trailers and the mileage takes a hit, but if you mash that right hand peddal in the floor that little motor will flat get it. Only thing I caution is that IF you are towing something heavy, make sure your trailer has brakes. truck is light so something behind you like my 60 horse John deere tractor or that pick up I towed back from the lease would flat push you right on into something without a little help from the trailer brakes.

Bottom line is, even with the "issues" I had with mine, I'm inclined to get another one... unless I go 3/4 next time (bout this time next year)...
                            Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 01-05-2017, 09:24 AM. Reason: tnik figners

Comment

I have a 2015 with 25,000 miles and I absolutely love it! I tow a 32' 7200# travel trailer with it. It tows it almost as well as my old Power Stroke did. The mileage while towing is pitiful 6-7mpg. When not towing I average 16.2 mpg mixed with mostly city driving.

Comment

I have a 2011 Ecoboost with 122,658 miles and it still, tows my 28' RV and has plenty of power.

Comment

Working...
                                X