X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow...some great information all.
    I really appreciate it !

Comment

Limbwalker, Then I guess Fred Bear and John Schultz were always over bowed since snap shooting is the only way they ever shot.

If you shoot differently when you hunt then you are an exception to the norm. I stand firm on my statement. You also just stated you use point of aim when shooting tournaments, which is my point exactly.

Three under is the simplest or first step to string walking. I don't have a problem if someone wants to shoot that way. I just prefer split finger shooting.
      Last edited by Straitshot; 12-29-2014, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Strait, I'm not going to argue with you. You clearly know more about archery than I do and I don't want to re-live the LW drama.

Good day.

Comment

Limbwalker, Sorry if you got offended. Certainly wasn't trying to start an argument, far from it. I was just attempting to answer Stykbow's question.

Comment

Sorry Straight.
            Limbwalker, Then I guess Fred Bear and John Schultz were always over bowed since snap shooting is the only way they ever shot.
            That just struck me as argumentative, that's all.

If you go back in Fred's history, he was a field and target archer. While I've never seen footage of him shooting field and target archery, I would lay money on him coming to a full anchor and aiming with a lighter bow.

I've been around this "trad" thing since before TBH magazine ever existed. I'm not saying I've seen and done it all, but I've been around the block a time or two, and nearly every single time a guy is snap-shooting, it's because that's all the weight they can handle. Numerous times I've handed snap-shooters much lighter bows, and asked them to shoot. Every single time, their draw/aim/release cycle changed significantly.

As for the "trad" thing, for the life of me I can't understand why in some people's minds, it's somehow "better" if you don't aim. That argument defies logic. Yes, we all enjoy seeing someone who has trained themselves to become proficient at "instinctive" shooting - there was a time when I myself could snap-shoot my way to a 240+ NFAA indoor score with a 63# longbow.

But that was before I really learned how to shoot properly.

But this is a split vs. 3-under thread so I'm sorry to get off-topic. The "snap shooting and 3-under" comment just struck a nerve with me.

The real irony is that I am more prone to "snap-shoot" when shooting 3-under, and when I shoot split, it's with a full Olympic rig anchoring under my jaw. LOL. Talk about bass-ackwards.

John

Comment

I shoot split

Comment

Originally posted by Stykbow View Post
                Sorry, 1 more question...if i change to 3 under is there a possibility I may need to lower my nock point ?
                I had to raise my nock point for three under shooting.

Comment

Limbwalker pretty much nailed it, and I shoot three under...

Comment

Originally posted by EnW View Post
                    I had to raise my nock point for three under shooting.
                    3-under will require a higher nocking point to tune properly. Most guys start at 1/2" and it's not uncommon to see 3/4" above square. My longbow is 5/8" and my hunting recurve and target barebow are both 3/4"

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to be playing with it more this offseason.

Comment

I shoot 3 under. Very interesting about the snap shooting. I was trying various bows at Bob's awhile back and the one I shot best with was one slightly overbowed for me. Still kicking myself on not getting that bow. Perhaps I should try more snap shooting. Thanks for posting and getting me thinking on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stykbow View Post
                          Sorry, 1 more question...if i change to 3 under is there a possibility I may need to lower my nock point ?
                          For sure. I've shot both ways. I like my sight picture better split finger but get cleaner releases three under. If you don't lower your nocking point you will shoot low when changing to tree under. I've started using a tab for three under cleaner release. for me 3 under restricts my distance as it puts the arrow nearer my eye. point being on long shots my hand covers the target. I may be built funny or need to change my anchor point.

Comment

split

Comment

A couple of modern-day trad icons, doin' it the 3-under way.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Which ever way works for YOU! Just like anchor points! Try different things and eventually you'll figure out what works best for you!

Comment

Working...
                                X