Covert solar panel + enloops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    Is it showing any better battery performance set on the minutes mark?

I had no idea you were setting it on “seconds”. I have found that anytime we set it on seconds it screws with the cameras data processing at lower signal. It takes a few minutes to get a picture though the system depending on the signal and basically it just continues to overlay and never gets a break. Sometimes it skips pics because it’s still waiting on processing the first one. Our cameras here local on our pig place will wig out at 20-40% signal using seconds. Very inconsistent. But set them back to 3-4 minutes and they run smoothly. Now neither of the three have given us a battery issue when using seconds but then again we set them back to minutes when we saw what it was doing. Maybe the seconds is for folks with much better signal... like 80-100% which I can get here in my backyard but never tried it. Just a thought.

Completely dead now FML

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post
      Any thoughts on this? Seems like a waste to drop $75 on a panel and rechargeable if he is getting that life on regular AAs.
      Ya I have a thought. Spend the $75. These cameras run flawlessly with the right batteries(as described by Smart) and their panel. Why even worry about pic count, dead batteries, delay etc?? Just set it and forget it.

Comment

Do the covert solar panels plug directly into the bottom of the camera or do the auxiliary cable need to be added to it?

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyneutrontx View Post
          Do the covert solar panels plug directly into the bottom of the camera or do the auxiliary cable need to be added to it?

Straight in. It’s their panel for their cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
            Straight in. It’s their panel for their cameras.

I’ve got a different panel just trying to figure out if it’s comparable or better than coverts

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
              Ya I have a thought. Spend the $75. These cameras run flawlessly with the right batteries(as described by Smart) and their panel. Why even worry about pic count, dead batteries, delay etc?? Just set it and forget it.

I put the amazon basics in on February 23 and it’s dead as of yesterday so not every camera is equal. If I run a direct sun test and find out nothing is wrong with my set up, my panel and batteries will be UFS. I’ll be going 12v

Comment

Any thoughts on this? Seems like a waste to drop $75 on a panel and rechargeable if he is getting that life on regular AAs.
                See FND comment above......plus...10 minute intervals suck. That might get me 5-6 pics on a morning feed by the time they come in and mow it down. And I've seen deer come in and leave quicker than 10 minute intervals. I live too far away to deal with dead batteries..... Set it and forget. $110 buys me maintenance free and about 1.75 years of batteries.....and the panel I only have to buy once.

But....you do you....that's just why I do what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxhunterr View Post
                  I put the amazon basics in on February 23 and it’s dead as of yesterday so not every camera is equal. If I run a direct sun test and find out nothing is wrong with my set up, my panel and batteries will be UFS. I’ll be going 12v

Well technically...if your camera is OK...your spot is the problem. Every camera is more equal than spots are equal. You've already told us you don't have the panel facing the sun and have tall pine canopies.

Comment

Covert solar panel + enloops

Well technically...if your camera is OK...your spot is the problem. Every camera is more equal than spots are equal. You've already told us you don't have the panel facing the sun and have tall pine canopies.

I’m not sure how much sun it gets facing southeast but I would imagine it gets 3hrs at least and we have had some really clear days in the past week. Not to mention I remember reading somewhere (maybe on the package) that the panel is supposed work well even in shady areas. I really hope I find something wrong because I like the simplicity of the setup

And you are right, I should have said setup. I would imagine I can get better results out of a 12v setup in this situation even without a panel. I’m not an EE so I may be wrong

Last edited by Easttxhunterr; 03-16-2018, 05:57 AM.

Comment

See FND comment above......plus...10 minute intervals suck. That might get me 5-6 pics on a morning feed by the time they come in and mow it down. And I've seen deer come in and leave quicker than 10 minute intervals. I live too far away to deal with dead batteries..... Set it and forget. $110 buys me maintenance free and about 1.75 years of batteries.....and the panel I only have to buy once.

But....you do you....that's just why I do what I do.
                      I've already done it! I'm like you guys, I like 1-3 minute intervals depending on time of year and what I am seeing. I have one that is causing me some problems so last time out I switched the two cameras and panels and now have narrowed it down to the panel. I did notice there may be some coon damage to the wire between the panel and the camera so that may be my issue. I moved it to the best possible light (it wasn't bad before) and it works but just doesn't keep it as charged as the other panels I have. It won't get back above 60% when the others get to 80% every afternoon. Right now I'm not taking a lot of pics but during high traffic time it will drop down to 40% and after that it usually dies quickly.

I guess time for a new panel.

Comment

I've already done it! I'm like you guys, I like 1-3 minute intervals depending on time of year and what I am seeing. I have one that is causing me some problems so last time out I switched the two cameras and panels and now have narrowed it down to the panel. I did notice there may be some coon damage to the wire between the panel and the camera so that may be my issue. I moved it to the best possible light (it wasn't bad before) and it works but just doesn't keep it as charged as the other panels I have. It won't get back above 60% when the others get to 80% every afternoon. Right now I'm not taking a lot of pics but during high traffic time it will drop down to 40% and after that it usually dies quickly.

I guess time for a new panel.

Good deal[emoji1303]

I had a squirrel chew through one of my wires. Soldered it back and its good as new. Easy fix. Luckily, it was done right before I was headed down anyway.

Comment

I've had some issues with my newest camera that sends pictures to the app. Once I set the delay at 24 hours it has run on 6-7 for months. That's taking 100 pictures a day. I'm running the Amazon basics and enelope pros with regular 6 volt solar panel. Might try adding another 6 volt panel to give me more charging capability. I had a deer feeder 6 volt and the enelopes in for a while, but the one panel could not keep them charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Still running 4 coverts flawlessly on my 10w panels, ammo box with cheap 12v and cheap AA rechargeables and 6-12v cord. 100% battery at all time and on 30 second delay and real time

Can make changes or send for pics all day everyday

To me its worth the maybe $90 for the entire setup to not have to worry about it and for it to stay fully charged all day

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              Still running 4 coverts flawlessly on my 10w panels, ammo box with cheap 12v and cheap AA rechargeables and 6-12v cord. 100% battery at all time and on 30 second delay and real time

Can make changes or send for pics all day everyday

To me its worth the maybe $90 for the entire setup to not have to worry about it and for it to stay fully charged all day

So you think this would work in a heavy canopy of pines? You are running 12 AA rechargeable along with the 12v?

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxhunterr View Post
                                So you think this would work in a heavy canopy of pines? You are running 12 AA rechargeable along with the 12v?

Did you ever check your camera back at home or in an open spot?

Comment

Working...
                                X