Mesquite Bowhunting Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mesquite Bowhunting Ranch

Well we just got back home this evening. We had a great time at the ranch.
    I know that some folks on here didn't like their own personal experiences at MBR, but ours was great. I was hunting the almight Axis...and yes, I saw him while I was on the stand...and he gave me a shot opportunity, but I had already shot a Fallow buck about 2 hours earlier. What a beautiful site he was too. I watched him for a few minutes and even got a pic of him with my cell phone.

I personally didn't see one animal that looked mal-nurished or poor. While in the stand I saw many Fallow bucks and does, several Whitetail bucks and does, 3 Axis bucks and does, lots of rams, pigs of every shape and size, the Watoosie, Blackbuck buck and does...and I had shot opportunities on most of them. I saw a total of 7 Axis...one big buck, a couple of smaller ones and then two nubbin bucks with does.

My group was made up of my family and some friends. Everyone saw good shooter animals. Some of them passed on them when they should of shot...but that's how it goes.

As for Gerald, he is a simple man just like me that simply did everything he could for us. He always tried to put us on the stands that were frequented by the type of animials each of us were hunting for. He listened to us...and if we wanted to hunt another stand, he was happy to oblige. Nobody knows those animals like he does...he feeds the roads twice daily whether he has hunters there or not. He knows where the Sika hang out and where the Axis hang out. He also listens to his hunters about their animal sightings.

When I shot the Fallow, he did everything he could possibly do to try to recover the animal. His tracking dog "Gator" is one of the best I have seen. That dog tracked a hog for ever half a mile when we weren't finding any blood.

I know that some hunters expect a little more when they pay for a hunt...but hey, an MBR hunt is a "working man's" hunt. No, there's not a nice luxury lodge with a full time chef, and no giant grande entrance way, no maids to make your bed...that's why it's so affordable. He's not making a tons of $$ doing what he does for a living...but it is a business and that's how he supports his family.

Not everyone that goes there comes home with a gold medal animal, but that's why they call it "hunting"...not killing.

My group had a blast. Gerald was nice, curtious and helpful. We will be booking with him again and I do recommend MBR to anyone who wants an honest opportunity to get away, have fun with friends, and possibly shoot and kill a very nice animal at a very reasonable price.

If you want pics...go Around the Campfire and search for "Semi-live hunt at MBR"

We made alot of memories on this hunt...and I tend to think "that's what it's all about"!!!

Hey KMO, glad to see you had a great time and hunt. My wife and I hunted there a month ago and it was a blast...Thanks for the update!!

Comment

I have always said Gerald is a goog guy and we have a blast hunting his place. We have been 3 times and enjoyed each hunt. The only reason we quit hunting there is because everytime I called to book he said he was booked up. I do not know if he was just saying that because everytime we went we killed lots of stuff or if he was really full. It does not really matter we enjoyed the time we got to hunt and plus we then started booking at Firstpoint and ohh how I LOVE Firstpoint. I am like a kid at Disneyland when I am there.

Comment

KMO glad to hear that the worries were put to rest and that some of the talk by others was unjustified and unproven. Gerald is a great guy and its exactly what you say, a working mans hunt.

Glad you had a good time.

Comment

Glad you had a great time, wish you would of found the fallow.

Comment

right on! where is this located?

Comment

Me and my wife are looking forward to our hunt in Feb.

Comment

Originally posted by Oneway View Post
                right on! where is this located?

They are located in Pearsall, about an hour south of San Antonio off of IH35. Mesquitebowhunting.com

Comment

thanks for the report

Comment

Comment

Knight,

Glad to hear you had a greta time. Gerald is great and the dealings I have had with him were outstanding.

Comment

Headed there in December for the 3rd time. Cant wait.

Comment

Apreciate the report and honest feedback - sounds like a nice place to hunt.

Comment

What are you hunting this time? And btw I probably wont make it down so no need to worry about you guys flashing my wife in your BVD's.

Originally posted by AggieBowHunter09 View Post
                            Headed there in December for the 3rd time. Cant wait.

Comment

aoudad sika or a buffalo. Haven't made up my mind yet. Could have worse. Couldve been mike and tommy in man thongs. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X