X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulling pig tusk

I shot a big boar.
    Couldn't do a Euro.
    I want the tusk but don't want to break them.
    It's currentky frozen..

Rot it in water or boil until they come out.

Comment

Cut the snout off and soak it in water with a little soap and bleach in it. May take several weeks but they'll come loose.

Or simply boil the snout for a few hours and pull them.

Comment

Sawzall the end of the snout and boil till they fall out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

They’ll come out after boiling the head.

Comment

After you get them out clean the.cavities.and fill with elmers glue or they will crack

Comment

Don't cut snout off too close to the nose--might cut the ends of the lowers as they curl back inside the jaw a good ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                After you get them out clean the.cavities.and fill with elmers glue or they will crack
                Came here to say this, except that I use a hot glue gun instead of Elmers.

Comment

Make sure they're dead before you try it. Sorry that's all I got....

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    Yep, except I use JB weld to fill the insides and put a bead of super glue on the outside edge of each bottom cutter. I have 10-12 big sets I've done this way and they haven't cracked, split or chipped.

Comment

1.) Boil them until they come out and then take a small pick and clean out the meat from inside the hollow tusk.

2.) Let them dry overnight.

3.) stick them into a piece of styro-foam so the hollow end of the tusk is facing up.

4.) Mix some clear 2-part epoxy and pour into the tusk making sure none spills down the side. (Use blue painters tape to help insure this)

5.) If desired, when the epoxy is wet, set a swivel or loop inside the epoxy if you want to hang the tusks.

6.) Once epoxy is cured, remove tape and wipe withe either boiled linseed oil or WD-40.

They will last forever like this and wont split and/or crack. I have some 15 years old done like this and they are still in MINT condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                        6.) Once epoxy is cured, remove tape and wipe withe either boiled linseed oil or WD-40.
                        I will have to try this.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                          1.) Boil them until they come out and then take a small pick and clean out the meat from inside the hollow tusk.

2.) Let them dry overnight.

3.) stick them into a piece of styro-foam so the hollow end of the tusk is facing up.

4.) Mix some clear 2-part epoxy and pour into the tusk making sure none spills down the side. (Use blue painters tape to help insure this)

5.) If desired, when the epoxy is wet, set a swivel or loop inside the epoxy if you want to hang the tusks.

They will last forever like this and wont split and/or crack. I have some 15 years old done like this and they are still in MINT condition.

this is the best way right here

Comment

But don't cheat and pull them way out like some do to make them look bigger.

Not that I have ever done that.

Comment

If you can boil the whole head it would be better, there's WAY more of the tusk stickin' in the lower jaw that is sticking on the outside. Once boiled good, they'll come loose fairly easy and you sort of "rotate" them out of their jaw cavity. Any of the good epoxy resins will work well to fill them. DO NOT use Gorilla glue... It swells a bit when it dries and could force a crack.

Comment

Working...
                              X