Some wise old does can just sense your presense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive been arrowing deer for 20 years but every once in awhile you run across a doe you just can’t get into bow range no matter what you do. Three doe we call “the sisters” show up at this feeder real regular. For the third time this season I watched them from my krivo as they amble across the pasture FROM UPWIND and stop just before jumping in the pen. Icame in from the opposite direction so they didn’t cross my path. They stand there for ten minutes perfectly still. When one starts to jump in the old mature one snorts - they don’t run but just amble off the way they came. She senses that something is up. Probably giving her too much credit but I’ve wondered if the pile of corn I throw out between the blind and the feeder tips her off something is different. Some does are just hard to kill with a bow. I’ve seen her do this 3 times this season

Old does are just as smart as old bucks..

Comment

I

Stop the hand corn or take your rifle😉

Comment

Old Nanny can be a PIA!

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
          Old does are just as smart as old bucks..
          Some of them are smarter lol. But, I really hate the old does. When a mature buck senses something isn’t right, he doesn’t make a big stink about it. He will just quietly turn around and walk back the way he came. Those old does can’t just do that, they have to make this big spectacle of it and attempt to warn every deer in the county. On my place, “does that blow are the first to go.”

Comment

Shoot her in the face with a 300 RUM! Stops the snorting every time

Comment

Those old does are as smart as old bucks

Comment

Funny

Originally posted by Regular7 View Post
                Some of them are smarter lol. But, I really hate the old does. When a mature buck senses something isn’t right, he doesn’t make a big stink about it. He will just quietly turn around and walk back the way he came. Those old does can’t just do that, they have to make this big spectacle of it and attempt to warn every deer in the county. On my place, “does that blow are the first to go.”
                That's funny right there.

Comment

I call them "Paula's" or "hookers" I have a prejudice against old sentinel does. Rifle or hand corn for the old ones that blow for the hell of it.

I've got a spot I'm going to ambush some next season with hand corn and a pop up.

Comment

Try not hand Corning and if it works shoot her at first chance

If it don't work, roll out the artillery and punch her ticket from way off

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                      Shoot her in the face with a 300 WTHBY! Stops the snorting every time
                      FIFY. Been there and done that! I had to sneak in and sit on the floor of the blind to make it happen.

Comment

If she snorts she dies first chance I get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                          Shoot her in the face with a 300 RUM! Stops the snorting every time
                          This will work. All snorting blowing doe get a ride home in the back of my truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Love going after the old nanny’s! The first time I hunted West Texas, I was hunting an old blind that they always hunted. They said they could not kill mule deer with a bow. Lol, I found out why.
                            The first hunt an old nanny walks up to blind and sticks her head in my shot window! Lol. She snorted and that hunt was over!
                            I made a natural ground blind, 20 yards from old blind. That afternoon, she walks up to old blind, sticks her face in it, and I shoot her with my bow. I love out smarting them. [emoji2]

A wise man’s heart inclines to the right, but the heart of a fool to the left.
                            Ecclesiastes 10:2

Comment

It happens on our lease when a mature doe that is in and on corn and someone shoots another deer in the bunch. They see it and remember it. Had one that anytime she saw corn on the ground during daylight she would snort and back up stomping her feet. We put up what we call an ‘ambush stand’ nearby (tripod or pop up) and stick her before she gets to the corn. We’ve had spikes do the same thing. I never shoot into a covey (several deer on corn) if I can help it. I Try and wait for singles when I can. Only way to stop an old, experienced sentinal doe like that is with a boom stick. They can be a challenge with a bow. Some of my most memorable bow kills were old grey faced doe like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X