No announcement yet.

D-I-Y blow in insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did it the other day. 2 person job for sure. it wasnt hard but you need to start early now that the days are heating up. the machine i used i could control the start and stop up in the attic. I used the white kind for $30 a bag. I was told that I needed 24 bags for 1000 sq. ft. to achieve an R45. If they say you need 30 bags to get the machine for free but your only going to need 20 just go ahead and buy them and then return them when you take the machine back. have fun

Comment

may be doing this myself soon.

Comment

I would get the attic cat Owens Corning stuff from Home Depot. Never settles and is really light. As said above, one guy blowing and one guy feeding the machine. Get a suit, respirator, and a head light is worth it's weight in gold so you free both hands.

AND DON'T STEP THROUGH!!!!

Comment

I would price having it done also. I think you might find it inexpensive enough by a company that it's not worth doing it yourself. I've done it once. That ain't happening again.

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
          Do not use the cellulose.....
          This ^^^ You'll be doing it again in a few years with this stuff. Don't ask how I know.
          Originally posted by CityLimitSlayr View Post
          Going to be doing this soon, which type is the cellulose? All I see is the cardboard kind is $10/bag and the white kind is $32/bag
          If Dustin can do it for you I would let him. If not and you want to price having it done let me know and I'll get you the contact.
          Originally posted by BigFoot View Post
          Also keep it away from your can lights (recessed lights) it will cause them to overheat. Spraying in isn't to bad especially if you have room to move around. It is a two person job though.
          This is why I use fluorescents in my recess cans, they won't overheat.

Comment

Originally posted by Hafernick View Post
            How soon do you want to do it? I have my own machine but I just do it on the side. I don't have a helper so I just charge the price of the material and my labor and I usually have the owner help me...I am assuming you want it done ASAP which I won't be able to help you if thats the case.
            Appreciate the offer, but I'm going to have my Fiance' or buddy from work load the hopper for me. I just didn't know what "cellulose" insulation was/which kind it is.

Comment

Originally posted by CityLimitSlayr View Post
              Appreciate the offer, but I'm going to have my Fiance' or buddy from work load the hopper for me. I just didn't know what "cellulose" insulation was/which kind it is.
              Cellulose is basically recycled paper. Please do not waste your time or money on it. Having it in your attic is a fire hazard that I do not recommend to anyone. It should be illegal to put the stuff in your house.

I can also tell you that you aren't getting a machine rent free. They are just over charging you for the material. If you are going to pay more than 1.00 a square foot then I would pay someone else to do it for you. There are installers that will do it for 1.00 or less, myself being one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hafernick View Post
                Cellulose is basically recycled paper. Please do not waste your time or money on it. Having it in your attic is a fire hazard that I do not recommend to anyone. It should be illegal to put the stuff in your house.

I can also tell you that you aren't getting a machine rent free. They are just over charging you for the material. If you are going to pay more than 1.00 a square foot then I would pay someone else to do it for you. There are installers that will do it for 1.00 or less, myself being one of them.
                Yep, once I started building and found what it cost I couldn't believe I ever tried it myself.

Comment

It's quick and easy with a buddy to help feed the machine, I could tell a good bit of difference...as everyone said, respirator and early in morning now.

Comment

Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Working...
                    X