Boat Purchase Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Purchase Question

If I purchase a boat in Oklahoma or another state, do I still have to pay tax on that boat when I bring it back to Texas? It seems like I have seen a thread or two on here about getting a better deal on a boat by purchasing out of state and bringing back to Texas. Does anyone know if that is true or if I am dreaming something up?

If so and if you have done it, can you elaborate on the process and if you would recommend or not? We are going to be buying a boat and I wanted to see if it was easier to do it that way or just buy the boat in Texas. Thanks.

Your mileage may vary, but if you do all paperwork in the other state, and have it titled in that state, then you should be able to go to TPWD and just switch to a TX title. Not sure if Liens, financing, etc. comes into play.

My boat is an LA boat and all I was told to do is switch title and purchase registration stickers.

We have some boat dealers here that can help.

Comment

I paid cash for a boat in La. years ago and all I had to do was pay a $15.00 title fee and the registration.

Comment

I bought my Skeeter in Oklahoma, when we did the paper work, they asked where I was going to title it and handled it from there. They did all the paper work for TX and worked with my bank, all my taxes and registration was taken care of by them for the state of TX. Pretty easy process to be honest, I thought it was going to be much harder and was a little skeptical at first. But I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBoy View Post
          I bought my Skeeter in Oklahoma, when we did the paper work, they asked where I was going to title it and handled it from there. They did all the paper work for TX and worked with my bank, all my taxes and registration was taken care of by them for the state of TX. Pretty easy process to be honest, I thought it was going to be much harder and was a little skeptical at first. But I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
          So, I guess you paid Oklahoma sales tax, correct? Their sales tax rate is 4.5%, so you paid 1.75% less in taxes by purchasing in Oklahoma. Is that how it works?

Comment

Have the dealership make it clear on the bill of sale that you paid the taxes for that state and bring that with you when you register it. Also, have a separate bill of sale for the trailer, I had an issue with both being on the same bill of sale even though the taxes were paid on both.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
              So, I guess you paid Oklahoma sales tax, correct? Their sales tax rate is 4.5%, so you paid 1.75% less in taxes by purchasing in Oklahoma. Is that how it works?
              More than likely, they charged and collected sales tax for Texas and paid the State of Texas.

Don't think for one second the State isn't going to collect taxes owed to them

Comment

I bought a used boat out of Alabama, after I left the tpwd office I was around $650 lighter but it was in my name

Comment

I bought one out of NC last year, pretty sure I only paid taxes in Texas when I registered it.

Comment

I was thinking about the same thing on a slide in truck camper. They don't have title or registration in Texas so I am thinking no taxes? I bought a used truck from a dealer in Lafayette La. they did not charge me taxes but Texas did when I register it.

Comment

We bought our Champion a couple years ago from a guy in Oklahoma. Paid cash. Still had to pay taxes on it here to register. It was actually a real PIA to deal with everything here. Ended up having to take the boat down to the TPWD office so they could look at it for registering. My county (Williamson) made me get a certified empty weight of the trailer. Luckily we have a 35 acre lake in my neighborhood where I could leave the boat while I went to satisfy this absurd request. It took about an hour to get the weight, and when loading the boat back on the trailer I noticed some jack-wagon helped himself to my rods/reels, and some other things. Whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. But we love having the boat!

Comment

Never done this with a boat, but I had bought a car in virginia and then when I re-titled it in Tx, I had to pay the difference between Va tax and Tx tax.

Comment

Working...
                        X