No announcement yet.

Hogs lake lavon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume this is to cut down on deer poaching on Corps land. Too easy to use hog hunting as an excuse for trying to deer hunt. I spend a lot of time on Corps land and have found several stands with rattling horns, deer scents, etc. obviously deer hunting - not hog hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBeaster View Post
      I assume this is to cut down on deer poaching on Corps land. Too easy to use hog hunting as an excuse for trying to deer hunt. I spend a lot of time on Corps land and have found several stands with rattling horns, deer scents, etc. obviously deer hunting - not hog hunting.
      I'm assuming it's the surrounding land owners protecting their honey holes. Theres some really nice deer on the Corp land. I'm willing to bet this is just the beginning of shutting down hunting at Lavon.

Comment

Maybe they should implement On Site Registration for hog hunting during the deer season instead

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
          I'm assuming it's the surrounding land owners protecting their honey holes. Theres some really nice deer on the Corp land. I'm willing to bet this is just the beginning of shutting down hunting at Lavon.
          IMO the land owners aren't instigating this change, though I'm sure they're in favor of it. I would bet this is a cooperative effort between USACE and TP&W to try and cut down on the deer poaching. Like i said earlier, there's significant evidence of deer hunting on Corps lands. There's been several caught in recent years. i have a buddy who hunts on land adjoining Corps land. On several occasions, he has confronted people rattling and grunting - obviously hunting deer. Once contact was made, they all claimed to be hog hunting. GW was contacted each time.

If the poaching continues, the chances of us law abiding hunters being able to deer hunt these lands is slim. I'm fully aware of the bucks living on Corps lands and REALLY want to hunt them one day.

Comment

That is a real kick in the goooo-naaaads. Was really looking forward to just slipping into the woods with my bow on a cool morning. Oh well. Onward.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBeaster View Post
              IMO the land owners aren't instigating this change, though I'm sure they're in favor of it. I would bet this is a cooperative effort between USACE and TP&W to try and cut down on the deer poaching. Like i said earlier, there's significant evidence of deer hunting on Corps lands. There's been several caught in recent years. i have a buddy who hunts on land adjoining Corps land. On several occasions, he has confronted people rattling and grunting - obviously hunting deer. Once contact was made, they all claimed to be hog hunting. GW was contacted each time.

If the poaching continues, the chances of us law abiding hunters being able to deer hunt these lands is slim. I'm fully aware of the bucks living on Corps lands and REALLY want to hunt them one day.
              Taking hunters out of the woods isn't going to help. Less eyes in the field to report the poachers.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimwhitman View Post
                Man, I was in the wrong spot. Were you in a surface drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Nope/ little short shaft Johnson 15hp. It got pretty shallow the last weekend, but other than that we were fine. Boat and motor both from 1985. Bought them off a TBHer for an absolute steal (Thanks Casey). Best money I have ever spent.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ776 View Post
                  Nope/ little short shaft Johnson 15hp. It got pretty shallow the last weekend, but other than that we were fine. Boat and motor both from 1985. Bought them off a TBHer for an absolute steal (Thanks Casey). Best money I have ever spent.

Let me know if you ever want to run around out there. I've been out there in a long tail running around. Havnt made it to the area where I'm guessing you were yet.

Comment

So is it just areas 6-13 that is cut of from hog hunting during deer season?

Comment

Petition?

Stopped by the Main Lake Lavon Office today. They said late change on no hog hunting due to unsure if it was going to make it into rule book in time for deer season. Absolutely no hog hunting until January 19th!! This is due to poaching! I agree with above I think it’s crap that the illegal hunters are affecting us law abiding hunters! I came across hogs today could have some sausage in my freezer for fall! Thinking about starting a petition! Not enough deer on corps land to hunt but enough deer there to have a large enough poaching?!?? How come me everytime I go by lake office they are there hanging out instead of patrolling?

Comment

We'll see how much of this is about poaching. I'll be getting out early lookin for squirrels. The ol .410 will be barking!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                          We'll see how much of this is about poaching. I'll be getting out early lookin for squirrels. The ol .410 will be barking!
                          Nice....I just ordered a 22LR suppressor today. Should be a fun squirrel gun. I haven't been on since the last time I commented.

As for duck huntin lavon, do the guys in boats seem to be able to get further away and back than the guys who walk in or is there still a feeling of being crowded when you have a boat?

Comment

Day 4 in a row for am dove hunt/scouting . Got a couple of dove working on figuring them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbennett5 View Post
                              Day 4 in a row for am dove hunt/scouting . Got a couple of dove working on figuring them out.
                              Good job...I also just got a new shotgun that I need to break in. Finals will be done after Sunday and I actually have a free 7 days where I might just be tempted to make a run out to and around Lavon.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimwhitman View Post
                                Let me know if you ever want to run around out there. I've been out there in a long tail running around. Havnt made it to the area where I'm guessing you were yet.

Sure thing. We'll hook up for big duck season. I'll be out there almost every weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X