Spray foam insulation/ Off Gassing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spray foam insulation/ Off Gassing?

We are building a new house and I've heard a lot about how efficient spray foam insulation is. Then I hear about "off gassing" causing problems and possible litigation resulting. What's the current thought on using this in a new home considering the pros and cons?

Interested also

Comment

Any body do this on the south side of Houston?

I have it in my house and it hasn't killed me yet. lol

I have a house framed Dickinson I will spray as well

Comment

Idk. My house is totally foamed and I haven’t seen any down side.

Comment

I run a spray foam rig foaming all kinds of things from new homes to shrimp boats. The foam will off gas for 24-48 hours, with the strongest being the first few hours. After that you will barely be able to tell it's still off gassing. We do existing attics all the time, never had any issues. The foam these days have a different chemical make up than many years ago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fulldraw_529 View Post
            I run a spray foam rig foaming all kinds of things from new homes to shrimp boats. The foam will off gas for 24-48 hours, with the strongest being the first few hours. After that you will barely be able to tell it's still off gassing. We do existing attics all the time, never had any issues. The foam these days have a different chemical make up than many years ago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
            The biggest problem isn't the foam itself....

It's mainly that almost all of the other building products in the home are off-gassing, and that a properly sealed foam home doesn't leak air like a traditionally insulated home.

The smell of new carpets, for example, just isn't allowed to dissipate as quickly.

Use it anyway.

Comment

I don’t have any experience with this but only negative I’ve heard a guy say about the foam on the underside of roof decking is that it’s difficult to notice roof leaks if you have them

Comment

Working...
              X