Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longbow and longboeard

Okay, Since swamprabbit wants the details. Here's "The rest of the story."
    Last weekend I went to my boss's place just north of Sonora to do a little work and some hunting. He's a great guy and lets me hunt his place some.
    When I arrived Saturday mid day it was pretty windy so I unpacked and shot a little to feel better about the current conditions.
    After SEVERAL blow stalks I was working my way toward the back of his propert, and came up to one of our water troughs. (this is important to how the bird was killed....) There was a large oak to the North of the trough so I sat down under it for a rest and to re-group, after sitting for a few moments I noticed something crawling at my feet. OH MAN- TICKS, and LOTS of them. I bailed from my shady spot only to realize i had an infestation of seed ticks.
    So the next 30 minutes was spent picking them off my clothes, me, and my gear. I remembered I was not far from a ground blind we had built on the edge of a dry creek bed and decided that would make a better spot to de-bug.
    I made my way to the blind, crawled in and well.. I stripped down to my undies and started picking more ticks off. I really have no idea how many were on me, but after I removed them from my skin I started working over my shirt and pants. (IF any of you have been covered in seed ticks then you will understand the thought), right at this moment I was thinking hard about walking back to the cabin with my clothes shoved into my pack. I was working over my pants and heard the distinct drumming.
    Looking through a small window I saw a series of hens making their way down the creekbed. UH-OH, I watched for only a moment and then spotted a gobbler, but they were closing the gap fast. As I started trying to figure out how to make this work the big tom steps into a shooting lane. So I quickly gap my face mask, knock an arrow and ease into a shooting position, but he was now moving away and in a hard angle from the window. I tried the shot but over estimated the distance and shot a cedar tree over his back.
    He jumped forward and behind a mesquite, then another tom steps in but closer, without much thought I grabbed a second arrow drew and fired almost before I could realize what all was happening.
    the arrow was a little higher then anticipated but hit good. The Tom flopped for only a second and was done.
    Only then did I realize I had still been in my underwear. I grabbed my clothes (still with ticks) put them on and grabbed my bird.
    In times like these you have to know God is watching and maybe, just maybe chuckles a little at us. I feel OVERLY blessed that the birds just walked at me since I had been doing a fair job of running them off most of the day.
    2 miles (literally)back to camp where I hung my bird and quickly got a shower.
    Had it not been for that turkey, I may have not hunted the rest of the weekend, I was sour over the tick situation, but suddenly that became part of the journey.
    So I am not some proud Turkey hunter who called them into a set and took a mature tom, but I am a blessed man who had turkeys walk to him. I'll take it.
    My bow was my Freeman longbow that is 51# @ 27" and 66" AMO
    Arrow was a POC tipped with a Zwickey two blade, and the Tom had a 9&1/2" beard, weighed 18lbs with his insides removed.
    NOT the story anyone could have guessed, but it's the truth and now you know.
    Attached Files

Good write-up.

Comment

That is a memory. Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice!! Congrats!!

Comment

Good job! Now go to the feed store and invest $12 in a pint of permethrin concentrate. Get an old windex bottle and fill it nearly full of water. Add a half ounce of the permethrin and shake well. Then spray you boots and legs prior to going into those tick infested areas. Lyme disease nearly killed my brother. He was on antibiotics for six months and now they are pulling all of his teeth that have fillings as the Lyme disease hides in places like that. Really ugly business.

Comment

Good ol bird and great re-cap, congrats

Comment

Underwear!!! You and Featherflinger need to get together for a hunt!!!

Congrats on your bird, and I'm glad you did not post pics of you in your undies holding that bird by the neck!!!

Bisch

Comment

Congrats, nice bird!

Comment

If it's not ticks, its chiggers but there is no better place to be in the spring. I still think spring turkey hunting is my favorite of them all. Congrats on a nice tom and a great story!

Comment

That's awesome, congrats.

Comment

Ha! When I was looking for details... man, I never would have expected that!

Ticks freak me the hell out! So there is that.

Congrats on the bird... I guess I need to find tick picking call

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice, good looking bow and bird!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the compliments. The last time I tried to use permethrin I got all dizzy and nauseated. Just doesn't do good for me. I do have a sulfur sock that I normally pat down with around my boots, ankles, and waste with, I just did not think I needed to yet.
                          RJH1, thanks for the compliment on my bow as well. Jeff makes a very nice longbow and to my knowledge none of them have been repeat looks. Here is a better pic of the riser, it has brown glass on the back, and birds eye maple with clear glass on the belly.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Congrats on the Longbeard!! Before I even finished reading this thread I could feel seed ticks crawling on me. Thanks

Comment

Congrats on the trad turkey!

Comment

Working...
                              X