Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Being Your Own GC - New Home Build Questions...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If u can put considerable $kin in the game you can get the loan to build your house... go to another lender

Comment

I'm doing it right now. It's not that difficult, and I am saving a boat load of money. I went thru Help u Build, a local company in SA. And YES, I would never go thru a builder again. It's nice writing the checks, that way u know where every penny goes.

Comment

Check out my Live home build New Braunfels thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
          U definitely need to check with another bank. I did GC with my bank (Prosperity Bank, Woodlands, TX). I had a consultant firm to help with build and supplied their information, but MY name was listed as the GC on the bank documents.
          I suspect you put a pretty hefty % down? It can be done but you will definitely need more cash upfront. I looked into it and even owning the land it was going to be more then I could swing at the time. Now if you know a GC that will “assist”you will have more options.

Comment

Originally posted by brunner View Post
            Y’all are correct you can not GC your own home. Spoke to my banker. He shed a lot of light on his as well. Thank you all for your input and advice. I think it’s safe to say just hire a home builder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is another way to do it and while it will cost you a consulting fee, you’ll still save a nice amount of $$ AND you can be as I control of every aspect that you want to be.

Look into U Build It, Owner- Builder network and there’s another one I can’t think of right now.

We are doing this as we speak with U Build It.

I am a budget hound (full time job is construction PM) and while we’ve had a couple of bumps so far, I’ve identified some savings to offset those plus I carried a contingency in my budget.

Landrover can probably shed some light on his experience as well with his build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
              I suspect you put a pretty hefty % down? It can be done but you will definitely need more cash upfront. I looked into it and even owning the land it was going to be more then I could swing at the time. Now if you know a GC that will “assist”you will have more options.

I put 15% down on my construction loan but will have considerable more equity than that when I go to permanent financing.

Comment

I GCd our house. I just wrote my dad down as the GC for lending. I had issues with the first trade that was erecting the metal building. After that it was smooth sailing. Im ready to do my next one.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  I put 15% down on my construction loan but will have considerable more equity than that when I go to permanent financing.

Agree 100% but at the time that was not an option for me. As you mentioned it will be beneficial to use a GC contact or one of the contacts you mentioned to assist in the lending process. That was primarily my point.

^^ See above post.

Comment

Use a consulting firm as your GC. Not that expensive and will steer you right if need be.

Comment

the way around the lending head ache -find a bank that will finance your 'spec home'. They want to see a profit loss analysis, bank statements, and they will want you to have vendors with credit accounts
                      Then by it from your company when you finish.

Comment

I was the GC in my house. I would definitely do it again. I averaged 5 hours everyday on the house plus weekends.

One HUGE piece of advice...handle all of the material buying. I wouldn’t allow any subs to buy anything. I got very good deals and shopped around for materials. Bought some things out of CA for 50% less than I could buy local. I also did a ton of work to really save money. People say you can’t get subs but I never had a problem. My house never sat empty with no one working. We built it in less than 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by brunner View Post
                          Y’all are correct you can not GC your own home. Spoke to my banker. He shed a lot of light on his as well. Thank you all for your input and advice. I think it’s safe to say just hire a home builder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Yes you can. Check with a different bank our local bank had no problem with it.

Comment

We went through owner builder network and got alot more house for our money. It will cost you a decent fee, but you will come out way ahead in the end. It's not that hard!

Comment

I have hired a GC to build, GC’d two and built one entirely myself. For the least hassle hiring a GC is general the way to go. Most money saved but most stressful was building myself. Being the GC was a good medium for stress and money saving. Being a GC does have aggravation. Getting subs to show up when you need them is always a hassle. Keep multiple subs for each craft waiting in the wings. There is a good was to work with a GC and have no hassle plus save some money. For one house we hired a GC but he did not charge a fee on any work I had done as long as it didn’t hold up the job. For instance I did electrical had family do the AC and flooring. His percentage was not put on those things.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                                I built our lake home, it had its ups and downs for sure, had a couple of subs get to me pretty good as far as warranties go, I know one thing, you need to have a lot of free time on your hands, I really do not know if I saved money or not because I never got any bids, I did not have a budget either, I can see where it would be very easy to destroy a budget. I did get pretty much exactly what I wanted.
                                You build like my wife!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X