No announcement yet.

How many ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody remember the American Sportsman's Club?

Had 14 ranches across Texas you could hunt with a membership.
    I think I was the solitary "bow only" member, it was half the price.
    They had a ranch in Terell/Val Verde County that was 14,000 acres split by Hwy 90. The south part of the ranch was bow only.
    Had it all to myself, loved that place.

Met some rifle guys from that club and we leased 4 different places over the next 15 years.

Now its family land in the panhandle.

4 leases, 1 club that I hunted 4 different ranches and now family land.
    Hunted Central Texas, South Texas, North Texas, West Texas and panhandle deer over the last 20 years.

I'm just missing the legendary East Texas mystical deer that don't come to feeders experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
      Anybody remember the American Sportsman's Club?

Had 14 ranches across Texas you could hunt with a membership.
      I think I was the solitary "bow only" member, it was half the price.
      They had a ranch in Terell/Val Verde County that was 14,000 acres split by Hwy 90. The south part of the ranch was bow only.
      Had it all to myself, loved that place.

Met some rifle guys from that club and we leased 4 different places over the next 15 years.

Now its family land in the panhandle.

4 leases, 1 club that I hunted 4 different ranches and now family land.
      Hunted Central Texas, South Texas, North Texas, West Texas and panhandle deer over the last 20 years.

I'm just missing the legendary East Texas mystical deer that don't come to feeders experience.
      I remember back in the late 70`s there was one in NW Erath county. Never knew anyone that hunted there though. I hunt about 10 miles from there now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        We've been on ours for 23 years I believe. I have no idea what we'll do if we lose it because looking for another decent one sounds like misery.
        There are few things that are more frustrating and futile, unless you have a LOT of cash to throw at it....even then it's a crap shoot.

Comment

Been on 3
          1) small lease in Montgomery county

2) Circle H in Hardin/Polk county

3) small lease in DeWitt county

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been on Circle H in Hardin County my whole life. I've joined two more in the last few years. I've never left one

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
              There are few things that are more frustrating and futile, unless you have a LOT of cash to throw at it....even then it's a crap shoot.
              This man speaks the truth

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                I agree. Expectations are always so high when you get on a new place. So much of Texas looks like great deer habitat, but that does not necessarily mean that deer actually live there. You spend many hours and many dollars working on your hunting set-ups until they are just perfect. Then, after a season or two you come to the realization that you are hiding from deer that don't exist.

Comment

Looking for a new "Good" lease is painful and hate the thought of it. Sadly it is kinda of like a football coach, they are great when you hire them but assume they will get fired in a few years.

1. Kendall County - 'mid 90's - '04 - Whitetail, Axis
                  2. Webb County - '04-'16 - Whitetail
                  3. Tom Green County - '05-'10 - Whitetail
                  4. Kendall County - '11 - Axis
                  5. Edwards County - '12-'13 - Whitetail, Exotics
                  6. Mason County - '18 - Whitetail, Axis

Comment

I've been on 2 leases after I got 18-20 years of waterfowling out of my system and realized I could draw a bow again with 60lb technology.

2007....Hood County near Lipan, Texas. Big place, close to home, low member count, low deer numbers, very nice deer size on camera at night.....no deer seen on 42 hunts. LO's 22yo grandson was the ranch manager and had his Tarleton buddies out spotlighting at night for pigs every weekend...prob deer too. We would lock the gate to our hunting area a certain way each night and find it re-locked a different way every morning trip. Found the drunk ranch hands passed out in their truck sitting in the middle of the road in our hunting area one morning...with rifles between them. Said they weren't hunting when we woke them up. Said they were checking property fences and had them for coyotes if they needed them. Yeah right. Buddy wanted to stay for the next year based on night time TC pics and I said no thanks!

2008 to present.....starting year 11 this year....and don't see myself going anywhere for awhile if all continues as it is.

Comment

2 leases in last 20 yrs:
                      * First one lasted 2 years - lotsa animals; few mature deer; but 4 hr drive was rough
                      * Been on current lease for 10 yrs - great grp of guys; lotsa animals; 1.5 hr drive

Comment

Working...
                      X