Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Panhandle Hunting Thread (5th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't be hunting, but my neck is swellin'. Im loving the weather.

Comment

I got home from pig/varmint hunting down at Ozona about middle of Sunday afternoon. With the forecast we had I knew I had to get seed slung out on my food plot. It has been way to dry to plant up until now. Timed it just right though! It has got probably 4" of rain on it in the last 3 days. By this weekend it should be popping up and growing like crazy!

With this kind of opportunity I imagine I should go ahead and put some fertilizer on that Triticale this weekend, and probably throw some AWP out in it too.

Comment

Ready but not going. Wife is leaving town and I do not want to board the dogs this weekend. Not anything really to look at on cams so I will wait until next weekend. Good luck to everyone else!

Comment

Originally posted by coldgas View Post
          Who's hunting this weekend?? Wish I were ready but I'm not.

Top of Texas, on Monday I had a TPWD pickup pass me at the 83/33 junction and there was a floppy eared dog riding shotgun. Was that you??
          Nope, wasn't me. Probably guy from Gene Howe.

Comment

Wish I were ready but I'm not.
            Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
            I won't be hunting
            Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
            Ready but not going.
            Buncha slackers.

My hound has a terrible ear infection, she has to sit this one out.
            Guess I'm going solo.
            Probably wear out my welcome at Wellingtontx and Comet's camp.
            I'll have a report Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
              Buncha slackers.

My hound has a terrible ear infection, she has to sit this one out.
              Guess I'm going solo.
              Probably wear out my welcome at Wellingtontx and Comet's camp.
              I'll have a report Monday.
              HA!

So what's it gonna be Clark? The 9 pt or the 8 pt or hold out for surprise visitor?

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
                Buncha slackers.

Yes. My foodplot was destroyed a month early by deer. I'll hopefully get wheat planted early next week and be ready to hunt in a month. I haven't been to my Bronte lease to set up either. My daughter is getting married in a few weeks and we are short handed at work. I really need to get my priorities straight with this hunting stuff cuz it just ain't working out this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                  HA!

So what's it gonna be Clark? The 9 pt or the 8 pt or hold out for surprise visitor?
                  Y
                  Oh yeah.
                  With y'all missing the opener, somebody needs to knock something down to keep this thread going.
                  Maybe that boar that's been jumping in the feed pen shows.

Comment

Saturday can't get here soon enough! Hunting Lake Meredith archery...hike, spot and stalk. Got really close last year on a stalk, hope to make it happen this year. I have never seen many archery hunters out there. anyone else going?

Comment

I am leaving our bowhunting spot for my son. He will probably be in Sun/Mon to give it a shot. Not sure what I have going this weekend, but may have to give you a holler Clark. Or might see you over at Robert and Scotts.

Been cool and wet up here, doesn't feel like bow opener at all. More like rifle opener is what it feels like. Should have the deer moving good. Ought to be a great weekend.
                      Last edited by Jethro; 09-28-2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                        I am leaving our bowhunting spot for my son. He will probably be in Sun/Mon to give it a shot. Not sure what I have going this weekend, but may have to give you a holler Clark. Or might see you over at Robert and Scotts.

Been cool and wet up here, doesn't feel like bow opener at all. More like rifle opener is what it feels like. Should have the deer moving good. Ought to be a great weekend.
                        Be nice to see you.
                        Thanks for the weather report, that's good news.

Comment

Samnorwood/Quail/Marilla didn't get as much rain as we did here in town. Total those places is probably 4"-5". Here in town more like 7"-8" since Sunday morning. We got 5" in town on Monday alone. More rain forecasted possibly Friday, with a pretty decent chance Saturday morning. Bring rain gear for sure. And it has been pretty cool as well. Today was 55 for the low and only supposed to hit 65 this afternoon.

I picked up a brassica mix to top dress the food plot at the hidey-hole in the woods with in the morning. With all the moisture I am going to go ahead and sling some fertilizer as well.Will run the camera card while I am out there. Everything should be hard-horned now.

I will have to spend some time at home with the wife this weekend. She has been in KC since Monday morning on hospital business, won't be back until late Friday. I was gone to Ozona Fri/Sat/Sun last week pig hunting. We have only seen each other half a day in the last week. I bet I can slip out that way for a couple hours at some point though.

This is the pig I busted down in Ozona last weekend.

FullSizeR by , on Flickr
                          Last edited by Jethro; 09-28-2017, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
                            Saturday can't get here soon enough! Hunting Lake Meredith archery...hike, spot and stalk. Got really close last year on a stalk, hope to make it happen this year. I have never seen many archery hunters out there. anyone else going?
                            I have bow hunted Meredith a few times years past and it was extremely difficult without success. If you are able to close the deal out there with a bow I would be very impressed. After the last go around I was thinking a boat ride from Harbor bay to Martin's or Evan's canyon would yield some success.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Lonesome View Post
                              I have bow hunted Meredith a few times years past and it was extremely difficult without success. If you are able to close the deal out there with a bow I would be very impressed. After the last go around I was thinking a boat ride from Harbor bay to Martin's or Evan's canyon would yield some success.
                              Dies the lake go back that far. We used to do that when the lake was full.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Lonesome View Post
                                I have hiked in to Martins and Evans canyons...tough hike for sure!

I have always wanted to take a boat over to Evans canyon. I know that the water does go all the way to the east side of it. I thought that it would be a neat business to 'ferry' hunters from harbor bay to Evan's canyon on the weekend, $50 both ways or something. I would pay good money for someone to take me in by boat on a Friday evening and then pick me up on Saturday or Sunday...haul my gear and meat!
                                Last edited by chastings77; 09-29-2017, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X