• Show
Clear All

So easy a Caveman can do it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	deer.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	24719535

Alright, since so many of us in the trad-forum started our bowhunting lives with compounds and made the switch later, we know that there are others on here who are curious about shooting/hunting with traditional tackle.

So, this being the off-season and time to make changes, let's start a thread to encourage and give advice to these bowhunters to help some of them make the switch.

My first tidbit is this...

I think that anyone who can hold together 3" groups at 25 yards with a compound, is capable of shooting the same type of groups at 15-20 yards with a tradbow and shooting 3-under. Then it just becomes a matter of being willing to give up that 5-10 yards...or as it was put to me, "hunting 5-10 yards smarter".

The three-under technique is easy to learn on your own. Nock an arrow, use three fingers under the arrow's nock, anchor with the middle finger in the cornerof your mouth. This will place the arrow right below your eye and allow you to 'sight' right down the arrow's shaft and use the tip like a sight pin. Simply place it where you want it to go and loose the arrow.

Like using any 1-pin sight, you may have to learn the 'gap' for closer shots and hold a touch high for longer shots.

Like shooting any sighted bow, I find that it's important to hold the bow vertically when shooting three-under.

I shot three-under for nearly the entire first year of shooting trad...some hunters (like Tradag) shoot three-under all the time. Most archers would shoot better using the three-under technique. It wasn't real difficult to focus on shooting split-finger the next off-season and now I can switch between the two shooting styles as needed. If I lay-off for a while (like with the elbow injury), I may shoot three-under for a couple of weeks to re-train my eye, muscles and rebuild my confidence.

There's my first bit of advice, try three-under at first.

So easy, a Caveman can do it!
    Last edited by tinman; 01-13-2007, 08:21 AM. Reason: spelling

My name is Marty and I have a confession....... I can not shoot 3 under.......... 8 or 10 years ago I was shooting really well winning most every shoot I went to around my part of Texas. I went off to a Big ASA shoot where people came from all over the country. when we were warming up it was funny to me to watch those fellows shooting there 35# target bows Olympic style with 3 under. They beat me like a chained up goat. I returned home with my tail between my legs and spent the next 2 or 3 weeks trying to learn to gap shoot. it should have been easy for me as my average with a compound was well over 300. I stunk . I tend , even with a compound to let my sub conscious mind release the arrow and for some reason 3 under locks me up. I have a sight picture with my split finger style that places the arrow in line left to right and my top knuckle up and down that I can use if my feeble mind locks up shooting targets but I only use it as a last resort and never on a real animal. BUT I do believe you are correct that any body can learn to shoot Traditional equipment if they are willing to practice. I shoot all humped up and leaned over but the form, loose grip, solid bow arm, smooth release is the same form I used shooting open A with a compound with all the bells and whistles attached. The best thing some one can do that wants to make the switch is to go to a 3_d shoot and watch the folks warming up. See who shoot well. walk up to him and tell him you want to learn. I have never meet anyone yet who would not be willing to work with you. Look at what Chunky has done for me.

Comment

I used to shoot and hunt with a longbow. When I joined the military i gave up shooting trad bows. I just didn't have the time to practice as much as I needed. Now after 8 years of shooting compounds its hard to go back, and give up my expensive training wheels! I have a recurve here at home now, but I am not very good with it. What kind of practice should i do? How many arrows per day? What range? Oh and 3-under does not work for me. I have tried it before.

Comment

I'm not a expert by any means but I will say that shooting a trad. bow has really opened up a really exciting challenge for me. I have gotten into the habit of shooting a least 10 arrows each afternoon and I have suprised myself how much better my groups are getting. I owe a big thank you to Chunky for getting me to just try shooting a recurve and giving me some tips and advice.

Comment

what kind of practice depends on where you are at skill level. beginners shot practice very close, under 5 yards, and work on good CONSISTANT form. if you have good form then you should start backing away from the target to learn the arch of your arrow and become consistant.
          how many arrows you shoot a day depends on you as well. the more arrows you shoot the faster, better you will become. but you should stop shooting when you begin to get tired because you will start to pick up nasty habbits trying to over stress yourself.

Comment

Shooting traditional bows is a lot of fun. I love to "stump" shoot at anything and at any distance...hay bales, catus pads, etc. Love to shoot gal. milk jugs in a dry creek bed (can even do this on a moonlit night).
            But when practicng for a hunt, I try to mimick the exact shots I expect to have, ie, sitting and in a blind, or in a short tripod, at 12-15 yds. Even try to practice a quite draw, release and follow through, just like I'll need when hunting.
            One thing I didn't have was a good teacher, so I developed some bad habits. Get someone to show you proper form, release, etc. It'll save you a lot of frustration.

Comment

Originally posted by bm22 View Post
              what kind of practice depends on where you are at skill level. beginners shot practice very close, under 5 yards, and work on good CONSISTANT form. if you have good form then you should start backing away from the target to learn the arch of your arrow and become consistant.
              how many arrows you shoot a day depends on you as well. the more arrows you shoot the faster, better you will become. but you should stop shooting when you begin to get tired because you will start to pick up nasty habbits trying to over stress yourself.
              Very good advice for the begginer,and good advice to go back too when your shooting starts slipping

Comment

I started out shooting trad many years ago..I went to compounds in the late 70's. I shoot both now. Compounds mostly. I have thought about going 100% trad again. It's much more fun.

I have never been able to shoot three under. I tought myself how to shoot.No one helped me at all . I shoot one over and two under. I know shooters that just shoot two fingers.I don't do that either. I do not sight down the arrow, because I put my top finger in the corner of my mouth, the arrow is not anywhere around my eye.I look at what I want to hit, and pull anchor and let-er fly. If while you are in the process of shooting, you let your mind wonder,,if you let your eyes wounder , you will not hit where you want to. This is how I shoot. It may not be the right way. It may not even be a good way, but it is how I tought myself and I have allways shot this style.

I shot by myself for many years. When I finally move to an area where there were other young people shooting it became a lot more fun and I also got more competative, and that made me a better shooter.

Anyone that wants to get into Trad archery needs to know one thing. You will not jump out there and shoot lights out like you do with your compound. It takes ,the want to. If you want to learn and are willing to put in the time you will. . But if you are not willing to put in some time shooting and finding out what works for you. Well you know....

I wish anyone that has the desire to learn, Good luck. and find someone to shot with. Its a lot of fun....

Comment

I shoot split finger and never sight down the arrow. :dunno:

Comment

I started shooting trad back in 91.I shot three unde but never sighted down the shaft,instintive only.I got pretty dang good with it too,but I wanted to shoot in the Texas State Longbow Championship and found out they did not allow three under,so I went to split finger and haven't changed since.
                    I don't think it matters one above,three below,just start with shooting close and concentrate on form and the rest will come with a LOT of practice.

Comment

Timan,, I think you may have just inspired me...can you build me a bow and how much??

Comment

We can try and try but it is hard to convience someone who already thinks that they are hunting with the most effecient way. We should also suggest that if they start shooting trad. to start light in poundage. I really struggled at first. I was starting out on #65, way to much for me. Now I could shoot it a dozen times and reach my anchor, then I couldn't.
                        Chris Kiefner

Comment

start light and start close!
                          Chris Kiefner

Comment

Originally posted by stikshooter View Post
                            <snip>...but I wanted to shoot in the Texas State Longbow Championship and found out they did not allow three under...<snip>
                            Curious as to why it would matter to them??

Comment

Death Whisper,that shoot has some of the toughest rules of any shoot I have ever shot at.All bows must be inspected before the shoot,and they have more classes for trad equipment than any other shoot I have been to.
                              I was told that shooting three fingers under lent itself to gap shooting,and was considered an advantage,and this is why it was not allowed in the shoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X