Worried: went to HR about Supv Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worried: went to HR about Supv Friday

Have my boss 3 chances and he has cussed me for 3rd time so went to HR hope He doesn’t try some payback
    What say you?

I work with about 65 guys someones always getting cussed, and we all have words. Guess we just got thicker skin here as long as no ones threatening or touching is what it is.

Comment

Don’t know the situation but HR is definitely the last resort.

Comment

My boss MFed me once, said every name in the book...

I sat back , let him get it out...waited about 3 hours go by, called him into a conference room and lit into him. Told him he will get as much respect as he gives out, and that would be the last time he spoke to me like that, especially in font of other people. And if that wasnt acceptable to him we could take it higher, his choice.
        He apologized profusely about 4 times, said he was having a bad day ( which he has a lot of) ...
        Our relationship has not been better, we even went to The Masters together this year for 3 days....
        Last edited by MacDaddy67; 06-17-2019, 06:55 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Not much info to give an opinion, but definitely should have calm talk with him and express your concerns before getting HR involved. Always best to work out between yourselves. And maybe you did try that, don't know....

Comment

Retaliation for legitimate complaints is highly illegal.

Being verbally abused is a legitimate complaint.

There is a huge difference between cursing with your coworkers and cursing AT them, talking down to someone and verbally abusing them ain't cool and indicates a very weak leader.

Apparently before I started at my current job it was common for managers to yell at and cuss out employees, I made it abundantly clear to everyone here that that will NOT happen more than once to me as the first time it happens will be the day I walk out.

No job is worth that BS...

Comment

Did you talk to him about those first couple of times?
              If you didn't express your concerns with him one on one, then you may be in for a tough time, and others may not want to get involved once you go over his head.

Comment

BY LAW, he cannot retaliate against you. I am about to be in the same type of situation. I was not cussed out, but some things were said to one of my supervisor's, by someone that was just hired, that are completely false and out of line. I am going to talk to him about it, see what he has to say and give him a chance (which is going to be a waste of time), and then will be heading to HR or starting the grievance process. Good luck to you and keep all documentation, just in case your boss decides to retaliate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                  Retaliation for legitimate complaints is highly illegal.

Being verbally abused is a legitimate complaint.

There is a huge difference between cursing with your coworkers and cursing AT them, talking down to someone and verbally abusing them ain't cool and indicates a very weak leader.

Apparently before I started at my current job it was common for managers to yell at and cuss out employees, I made it abundantly clear to everyone here that that will NOT happen more than once to me as the first time it happens will be the day I walk out.

No job is worth that BS...

Spot on.

Comment

once you complain to HR you have less than a year left at said company.

Comment

Ya, even though retaliation is illegal, that doesnt mean you will not be a target for any little thing. You will be labeled a whistle blower.

Comment

I had a superintendent who did that often. I spoke with him several times, calmly telling him that behavior was highly inappropriate, especially at his level.
                        It helped for a long time. He finally went over the line cursing out the senior, and eldest supervisor, and all four of us were in the building hearing it.
                        I intervened and got lashed out at and told to go home pending disciplinary action. I told him I would just stop by HR on the way and I was sure I would not be the one facing disciplinary action.
                        One of the other supervisors sent a complaint to the city managers office and in the end the superintendent was demoted. He asked if it was me and I told him no. I said what I had to say to his face. That's my way.
                        However that was the event that made me decide to retire. No one should be disrespected like that. Life is too short.
                        He has since retired but I hear the environment there is still the same. Maybe the environment creates the offender or at least encourages the behavior. A good friend quit after 10 years there. Turn over rate is so high it's a wonder HR doesn't intervene. But that's someone else's worry now.

Gary
                        Last edited by DRT; 06-17-2019, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailfanatic View Post
                          What say you?
                          Did you speak to him first?
                          I run a crew of 5 and I have never cursed any of them, although they can get me a upset every now and then. I do have a good crew of guys. I take more flack from my GF than I do my guys. Sometimes, I have to straighten him out!!!

Comment

HR isn’t your friend if you are going to speak up against a company representative. That is in most cases imo.

Comment

Not defending his behavior, but you have the right to move on to a better work environment, and it certainly doesn't hurt to get your feelers out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X