Planting grass seed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting grass seed?

I went to tractor supply looking for grass seed lastnight and found they had 5 50lbs bags for $5 each clearanced.
    I GOT all 4 lol couldnt beat it normal was $40. Im on 1 acre when is best time to spread this stuff Innever have seeded before....

What kind of seed is it ? Spread it just before a rain . It's usually better to seed in the spring when the ground temp is above 70 but before it's hot and dry.. most seed has to be planted to work.. if its rye grass save it until this winter.

Comment

.... what kind of seed? I’m sure being discounted it’s a rye or fall grass.... so late September early October

If a pasture or yard grass. First of May

Comment

You may be a little late unless you have some way to keep it watered through and after germination. You have had a LOT of rain in DFW. As already mentioned, spread it just before another rain and hope a **** floater does not wash it away.

What kind of grass? I doubt they had Bermuda seed on a closeout.

Comment

Probably discounted due to age. Not necessarily, but most likely. The germ only has so long to live, after which the germ starts losing viability. Look at the date on the bag. 6 months after that date, and you are probably somewhere in the neighborhood of only 60% germination rate. A yr out of date, it might not sprout at all.
          I would oversee, as you will most likely have a poor germination rate.
          As Burnadell mentioned, keeping it wet will be your biggest factor, especially with the long hot sunny days.

Comment

Rye

Comment

so you want to mow all winter?

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
                so you want to mow all winter?
                my thoughts exactly

Comment

It won’t live in this heat, rye is a winter grass only

Comment

Originally posted by webstertroy View Post
                    I went to tractor supply looking for grass seed lastnight and found they had 5 50lbs bags for $5 each clearanced.

I GOT all 4 lol couldnt beat it normal was $40. Im on 1 acre when is best time to spread this stuff Innever have seeded before....

They had 5, and you got all 4 of them?

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                      It won’t live in this heat, rye is a winter grass only
                      This

Comment

Wait till fall and use it as a food plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                          They had 5, and you got all 4 of them?
                          I saw that too but nobody had said anything yet, so I thought maybe I didn't understand. lol

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            I saw that too but nobody had said anything yet, so I thought maybe I didn't understand. lol
                            It is easy to get confused by Troy's posts.

Comment

Originally posted by webstertroy View Post
                              Rye

Welcome to the world of winter grasses that die off when it gets hot. Mowing in the winter sucks!

and if its not an annual rye, it is will be a one season run.

Comment

Working...
                              X