Alligator Hunting Questions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alligator Hunting Questions....

So, let's say you get picked for a TPWD hunt...

First off, how do you hunt them with a bow? Do you just look for them on shore and use a bowfishing rig? Do you shoot them free swimming?

If you use a "hook and line" method, do you setup a bunch of lines or just one? As soon as you get one do you just go cut the other lines if they have gators on them?

If you use a "hook and line" method, is it just random how big of a gator you get? I mean like, do you scout a big gator first then hang lines in his general area or do you just hope it's a large gator and not a little guy? I know size of bait/hook and placement plays a part but is there anything else to it?

Can't help you with the archery question I'm afraid. As to the hook and line, the staff of the wma is gonna give you a setup to use, you get that one set to use. You're not going to get to set up multiple sets. As to the size of the alligator with hook and line, you pretty much get what you get. The higher the bait can help keep little guys off, but with the short duration of these hunts I'd not worry to much about scouting for a big guy. Just set your hook in a good looking spot and hope for the best.

Comment

On hunting them with a bow your are correct on your answer. You hunt them free swimming using a bow fishing setup with a large float attached to the end of the line. i know at Murphree WMA they do not allow broad heads. So you have to use a shotgun to finish them off.
      SamSowell had your second question answered correctly. One line per hunter. At Murphree you have to supply your own line and hook. They will supply you with a cane pole and stake.

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
        So, let's say you get picked for a TPWD hunt...

First off, how do you hunt them with a bow? Do you just look for them on shore and use a bowfishing rig? Do you shoot them free swimming?

If you use a "hook and line" method, do you setup a bunch of lines or just one? As soon as you get one do you just go cut the other lines if they have gators on them?

If you use a "hook and line" method, is it just random how big of a gator you get? I mean like, do you scout a big gator first then hang lines in his general area or do you just hope it's a large gator and not a little guy? I know size of bait/hook and placement plays a part but is there anything else to it?
        Shoot em from the boat

Comment

I've been on 7-8 hunts at Murphree, and, when possible I try to get them with a bow. That being said, I've killed exactly one there with a bow. I generally hunt with a bow at first, then set my line if I don't get one. The next morning, I check the line as early as they'll let me, then, if I don't get one, I try with the bow again. I have killed two with a bow on the management hunt at Dam B, but that's a tough hunt. By far your best chance for success is with a hook and line. In other states, where night hunting is allowed, bows are much more effective.

Comment

Muzzy makes an alligator setup that comes with float, 500lbs test line and fiberglass arrow with detaching tip. It can mount on a regular compound. Hard to find but look online

Comment

We have gone on a bunch of state alligator hunts, but not in a few years so it may have changed some.

We always supplied our own setup. They would give us a bamboo pole. They use to allow one type of hunting at a time. So if you had a fishing line out, you could not bowhunt. The guys at the WMA are a ton of knowledge. Listen to them.

We would look for pinch points from a creek or pool of water going into the main channel. We would always put the fishing line on the inside of a turn at a pinch point. The gators would cut closest to the shore on the inside of the turn. We hang the bait 18" from the water. Watch to make sure the water level won't fluctuate during your hunt. Too high and you get nothing. Too low and you get babies. We always used a half of a beef heart that was left in a vacuum sealed bag in the bed of the truck for about 3-5 days. It smelled great. Other guys used all kinds of things. I saw people catch them on skinless boneless chicken breasts.

Our first one was our biggest. It was 425" and 11'7" long. The others were 9-11 feet. We did have a 1000 pound rope broken once.

It is a ton of fun, but it is a ton of work skinning them.

Comment

I drew out for J.D.Murphree with a couple of friends this year.. I’m beyond excited and cant wait!!!

Comment

2 buddies and I drew J.D.Murphree 9/13-9/14 this year and will be our 2nd time to hunt there.

Comment

We limited out at Dam B with gig poles by 2am (6 tags). Could have done it by 11 but we started getting picky and trying to push close to that 5' mark with our last tag.

Comment

Originally posted by Txpepper View Post
                      I drew out for J.D.Murphree with a couple of friends this year.. I’m beyond excited and cant wait!!!
                      When are you going? We drew and are headed out tomorrow to hunt mon/tues.

Comment

Originally posted by WrecklessRanch View Post
                        When are you going? We drew and are headed out tomorrow to hunt mon/tues.
                        We will be out there hunting Wed/Thurs. Good luck and let us know how it goes for y'all!

Comment

Working...
                        X