Lineman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lineman?

Are there any fellow green screeners that are lineman? Always a industry I have been interested in. How is the work? Also what are some good companies to work for if you wanted to get into that line of work. See what I did there? "line of work" [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been a long time since i worked that industry and my knees will never be the same.
    It was rewarding work but its either extremely hot or cold. Body takes a toll

Comment

My son does it. He likes it and the pays ok but he's got his degree so hopes of moving up into management one day. He works in new Braunfels and has only been doing it a little over a year

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        Been a long time since i worked that industry and my knees will never be the same.
        It was rewarding work but its either extremely hot or cold. Body takes a toll

Worse than working the floors? I've been strictly Oil Field for the past 6 years. I am only 25

Comment

Originally posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
          Worse than working the floors? I've been strictly Oil Field for the past 6 years. I am only 25

Probably but I cant say for sure. I loved it and started at about your age.
          I enjoyed the hard work and the results at the end of the day.
          At your age it sure would not hurt to give it a try for a few years to see if it is something you want to do........then go to fire school

Comment

My uncle retired from it.

Comment

Probably but I cant say for sure. I loved it and started at about your age.

I enjoyed the hard work and the results at the end of the day.

At your age it sure would not hurt to give it a try for a few years to see if it is something you want to do........then go to fire school

I have been looking into jobs to apply for but most say you must have a clean driving record. I got a DWI when I was 19 in college station so that May effect me getting hired on.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
                I have been looking into jobs to apply for but most say you must have a clean driving record. I got a DWI when I was 19 in college station so that May effect me getting hired on.

Probably but I don't think all departments hold it against you if your good for 10 years. Most places are civil service so you have until your 36 to get on.

Try the lineman thing...your young and have some time to decide what your career will be.

Comment

Probably but I don't think all departments hold it against you if your good for 10 years. Most places are civil service so you have until your 36 to get on.

Try the lineman thing...your young and have some time to decide what your career will be.

I need to find a company in Houston that would possibly be ok with a DUI on my driving record then I think I will look into it.

Comment

My neighbor at Cisco does it for AEP. Getting close to 50 now. Says he's too old to be hooking poles now and is waiting for his turn to drive the bucket truck.

Comment

I was a lineman for a long time. As stated above your knees will never be the same. Pay is great after storms. Your young go for it. Local 66 in Pasadena is where you will probably want to start. You will need to go through climbing school and the likes.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                        My neighbor at Cisco does it for AEP. Getting close to 50 now. Says he's too old to be hooking poles now and is waiting for his turn to drive the bucket truck.

Maybe talk to him for me if you get a chance and see what the qualifications are and if you are able to get on with a DUI on your record. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Craig G View Post
                          I was a lineman for a long time. As stated above your knees will never be the same. Pay is great after storms. Your young go for it. Local 66 in Pasadena is where you will probably want to start. You will need to go through climbing school and the likes.

I will look into that. I appreciate the feed back!

Comment

LCRA would be a great place to work.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                              LCRA would be a great place to work.
                              I worked for them for 4 years, not as a linemen. PM me if you'd like to ask any questions- simply posting 'LCRA' gives some folks over there a google alert in their inbox.

Hello

Comment

Working...
                              X