Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keith Johns Outdoors

Hello,
    Thought I would give my report for my hunt at Keith's place. My cousin and I left Michigan and drove 22 hours to go hunting March 31st-April 3rd. Keith is awesome, and now I realize why I haven't read any negatives about his ranch...he's a great guy and has a great ranch.

The first time I got to hunt, I was able to smoke a small (35lb.) hog, but never had any big critters come in close. I saw a big group of rams that night, but didn't take a shot.
    The next morning I missed a dominant blackbuck... It was my own fault, my arrow of shame now hangs in the porch on the ranch. On a positive note, I did get the chance to shoot two more hogs that night! That's good fun!

The next morning is when I finally got what I was after, a blackbuck. Same situation as the morning before, but I was determined not to screw anything up this time. This blackbuck came in "pushing" his does to the feeder. I was able to watch him for about five minutes, then was able to take my shot. I did just what Keith said, aimed low on the shoulder, and let my broadhead fly. My shuttle T went through the shoulder and the heart...perfect, he ran maybe 15 yards, then did the "walk-back of death" and dropped. This is my first deer with my bow
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0421.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	24729474

My cousin was able to connect with a ram with Keith's help. I think he plans on sharing his own story later, so I won't spoil his fun, but here's a picture of his ram:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0404.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	24729475

Unfortunately, my uncle (who met us there from New Mexico) was unable to connect with anything. He did pass on a blackbuck (his only chance at a hard horned critter), but he was after an axis buck. None of us saw any axis moving during the hunts. There was so much "new green" that a lot of the animals weren't travellilng for food. That was a little disappointing because there are some really good axis/blackbucks on the property, they just weren't moving to the feeders.

Keith said he was going to remodel the bunk house this summer, it's not a necessity, but I think it will make his ranch even better!
    I would highly recommend this ranch to anyone looking for a great hunt. I will be going back whenever I have the chance.

Congrats and thanks for sharing - I have about 2 weeks till I leave for my hunt - I cant wait!

Comment

thats just aweosme congrats. got any pics of your hogs???

Comment

That does it I am going to start me a coffe can called

Exotic & Wild Hog $500 This is a 2-day hunt that allows you to harvest One Exotic (Audad, Axis, Fallow, Sika, Blackbuck)and Two Hogs

If I fall short on cash I will be fine with a ram! summer hunt 2009

if you go there looking for a AXIS but strike out and take a ram,,,, do you still get charged for the exotic hunt??????

Comment

thanks for the report. Sounds like you guys had a great time. I am really looking forward to my hunt there the 16-18 of May, should be an awesome b-day present for me. Hopefully the rams will be up and about. Also like to get an axis doe.

Comment

Got to know, What stand were you on for the BB?

Comment

I sat in the ground blind in the corner of the field. My personal favorite, that's where I put my blackbuck down, and where I saw some good rams.
              I don't know what he has left for rams, but there was one bigger than the one my cousin shot roaming around, and some close to the same size.

Man, a couple of you guys get to go there soon. I'm jealous. Please post reports, so I can live vicariously through you.

At least living in Michigan gives me the opportunity to save money for my next Texas hunt...since there are barely any ranches here. I can't wait to go back. Good luck to all.

Comment

How are thr accomodations? I don't see any photos on the web site.

Comment

I've seen better...and a lot worse. There's a back room which has a TV, pool table, and air. There are 2 bathrooms, one shower, and 8 bunkbeds with air. There is also a kitchen, stove, microwave and fridge. I'll be honest, these things are all older and could stand to be updated.
                  Would I stay there again? Yes. Without a doubt.
                  Would I be happy to see it renovated? Yes. Keith said that he plans on doing that this summer. I think that would be great to see that happen...except for the fact that when it did, it would make it even harder to leave.

Comment

hunter1979 glad you made it back safe!

hey man, its Bill im the fellow that shared camp with you and your group, well i took your advise that afternoon i set the cattle feeder blind, after my encounter with a near 6 foot diamond back getting inot the blind, i set there for about an hour and i had a a mature bb in front of me at 18 yards quartering away, and guess what , flat missed him by a hair!!man i was sick!!!i had a monster corsican, biggest i had ever seen, come in last morning, but i was hoping the bb would show back up, but murphys law he did not, i almost missed my flight coming home, it was a nightmare....flying is no fun anymore! i have you guys email, let me know when you all are going back, maybe we can we up!!

take care,
                    Bill

Comment

Hey Bill! Man, I'm sorry to hear about that. I wish you could have connected with something. I missed a big BB from that same stand, and I know how sick you feel afterwards.
                      Well, on a positive note, I'll definitely be back there...I just don't know when. I'd like to get down there this summer, I'll definitely let you know if we head back down. That hunt was such a great time!

Comment

Hey all, as my blood brother (cuz) stated we had a blast!!!! We started with the intention of a 2 day exotic hunt. This was my first exotic hunt and quite honestly I was not overly excited to go as this was not a hunt for whitetail deer. I had a goal of arrowing a Corsican Ram, while my compadres wanted either a Blackbuck or Axis Buck. Long story short, I got my ram, My cousin missed a 20+ inch Blackbuck, but then scored on a 18” (my guess) Blackbuck. My uncle did not harvest an animal, however he had passed on what he described as a 22” Blackbuck. We all saw many nice animals including many (yes many) Blackbucks well over 20” (not in range to shoot), several very nice (HUGE) axis deer—unfortunately these stayed in the heavy undergrowth until dark. Greenup was occurring at the time (april 1-april 3). There were many very nice rams of most varieties. We also were allowed to harvest hogs at no charge and 4 were arrowed. I was in shooting range of at least 10 rams (Corsican, Texas Dall, Mouflon), 3 blackbucks—none too impressive--- several Fallow, red stag and whitetails (all of these either out of season or just dropped headgear). Also seen during this hunt were Aoudad. Anyway, I HAD A BLAST!!!! Keith told us his main concern was for us to have a great time and we did. We all had opportunities and 2 of us got what we set out for. Keith went out of his way to get us in the right spot. He also was a terrific host, the kind of guy anyone would be happy to sit down with and talk the outdoors. I am already checking dates for a return trip and now I AM JUST AS EXCITED ABOUT THIS AS WHITETAILS!!!!! My cuz and friend has already posted the pic of my ram, of which I can say I am proud to be my first of what will be many exotics I will take at Keith's. Keith is one of a kind and a brother of the arrow and if you want a good time as well as a chance at some nice animals get to his ranch!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by txcookie View Post
                          That does it I am going to start me a coffe can called

Exotic & Wild Hog $500 This is a 2-day hunt that allows you to harvest One Exotic (Audad, Axis, Fallow, Sika, Blackbuck)and Two Hogs

If I fall short on cash I will be fine with a ram! summer hunt 2009

if you go there looking for a AXIS but strike out and take a ram,,,, do you still get charged for the exotic hunt??????

GET THAT CAN STARTED!!!! THE RAMS are worth the exotic price compared to any other ranch I reviewed on line, the other critters are worth the price at this ranch. If you go on the exotic and take the ram its up to keith, but talk to him. He may cut you a deal. Keith is a fair and honest guy and only wants to help you get what you want. I am hoping to get back this summer and I will be there again in January.

Comment

Hey 7 Point, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I wish we could have hung with you. The truth is I can not stop thinking about that ranch and getting back there. You have my email but I do not have yours. I'd like to send you all the pix from our hunt. It would be awesome to have you with us on a hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Danw View Post
                              How are thr accomodations? I don't see any photos on the web site.
                              her you go
                              sorrythey didnt upload. Pix of camp will be posted soon
                              Last edited by BowBuck2; 04-26-2008, 09:45 PM. Reason: Pix did not upload

Comment

Working...
                              X