Back from North Star Outfitters!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back from North Star Outfitters!!!

I am back from North Star Outfitters, nstaroutfitters.com. It is a bowhunting, hog hunting ranch in East Texas, 15 miles North of Tyler, TX. I had a blast and was able to harvest my first boar. If I hadn't messed up my shot Friday night I would have 2 hogs in the freezer instead of just 1. I am exstatic none the less. The guides Billy and Hal, great guys, told me to take a quartering away shot over a broadside side. However, if I did shoot a broadside shot to place my arrow lower and tighter to the shoulder because the pigs vitals are more tucked in behind their shoulders compared to whitetails. I got excited the first night and took a broadside shot, got a pass through but it was too far back because there was little blood on my arrow and it smelt like guts. We searched for 2 hours and never found blood. Man, I was sure degected. Therefore, on Saturday night this good size boar came in and I waited for a quartering away shot and smoked em' at 20 yards right under the feeder. He ran about 60 yards before expiring. Man, if I could only bottle that feeling up and sale it! North Star is loaded with hogs. It is 2 nighttime only hunt, their feeders go off at 7,8,9 and 10 PM. They have special green lights arranged to cast a moonlight like glow over the feeders and you have a red lensed spot light with a dimmer dial in the blind with you. As soon as you see the hogs come in you dial up the red spot light and pick you one out and shoot. However, I took my shot on Friday night at 7:25 PM and my Saturday night shot at 7:43 PM. I highly recommend this place for some exciting hog hunting. It is an all inclusive operation. They feed you 4 meals (awesome!), you get to star in their top notch lodge and they take care of everything for you only for $400! Check out their website for additional details. Billy is the main guy and who you talk to when you call and Hal is the guide that takes you out to the stands, tracks, skins and quarters your hog for you. These are 2 salt of the earth guys. I can't wait to go back! I have attached some pics, enjoy! However, they are from my phone and little blurry. I can't upload my other pics. By the way my boar weighed 225 Ibs. and they are having a big pig contest for 2008. When you hunt their ranch you are automatically entered and if you harvest a hog they weigh it and if you have the heavest pig in 2008 you get a $1000 gift certificate to their ranch. The largest until my weekend was 250 pounds but a guy shot a 273 pounder the night I harvested mine.
    Attached Files

Sounds like you had a blast. Congrats on the bacon

Comment

Sounds like you had fun. I am only about 30 minutes away from Tyler - might need to try that place.

Comment

wow!That sounds great.

Comment

Nice looking pig and good writeup. congrats !

Comment

Working...
          X