Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is brushy hill any good

Comment

yeah a group hunt would be nice ....and somethin near san antonio would be great...im just not willint to spend 150 a day for a "nuisance" animal...

most people complain about them tearin up there fields but then they charge 200 plus for a couple of hogs...

Comment

Well not sure how good Brushy Hill is but its the best prices I have seen,
        100$ a day Turkey
        80$ a day Hogs(unlimited I believe & free varmints & exxotics)

1 of each sounds good to me

jaime

Comment

Hey there brandon, i'm from SA as well. I went hunting 2 diff places last year for hogs. like yourself, I did not want to spend all that much nor travel hours and hours if there could something closer. here are the links to the reviews i did on both day leases :
          the link to the Boazman Lease :

and another :

Information on this Day Lease :

Property Owner : Mike Castro. Number is 210 684 5951, or cell 210 884 3963

Land: Typical South Texas scrub with many oak trees and all sandy soil !

Accommodations: A+ for the very cushee side when it comes to hunting bunk houses. Full kitchen, dining area and large sleeping quarters with AC, Tiled floors, tv, radio, microwave, sink, bathroom…etc…

Setup : 44+ acres molded around catering to the youth hunter, beginner, swaying the “Female” gender into hunting, or the hunters wanting to hone their skills on the off season for tracking and shooting.

Misc:
          Here's what he stated : (Believe I have everything right)

$85 per day- 1 hog( if only one hunter across the weekend- 2 day minimum, or........ at lease 2 hunters then 1 day is fine )
          * Very nice cabin with ac, stove, microwave, sleeps 4
          * If it's just 2 hunters he will lock the weekend so the place is all yours
          * If you don't see any hogs 100% refund
          * 44 acre low fence just for hogs.
          * Does not keep massive 300+lb hogs there for the reason they rip the fence, but many in the 80-150 range, many with 2-3" cutters
          *He feeds twice a day in the morning and at 7pm. States the pigs move in fast and right at those times. Little hunting pressure allows for this.
          * You can choose from tripod stands, ladder stands, or movable aluminum stands along the 1 mile main feed rout
          * mech broadheads allowed
          * No issues with ticks, fleas or rattlesnakes
          * non hunters $25 a day, or anyone under 16 for free to hunt along
          * night time hunting allowed
          *archery only hog place created for beginners and those that want to come home with a kill and experience
          * no deposit in advance, just a call days ahead of time to reserve
          *Small operation that caters to 100% pig sightings, 90% shot rate and 85%recovery rate
          * has a MULE atv. he drives you to your stand

Met up with my bud from Austin here in SA, and then followed Mike down to his lease down in Devine.

Setup quick for the 7pm hunt and soon scored on the pig you see in the pics. Complete pass through with my 125 gr. SLICK TRICKS. Went about 60yard with double lung shot.

Had a great time out at the lease.

Here are some pics of the boar I shot. Nothing to write home about. But took my time for a killer shot on him from that stand.

Some little 3-4inch cutters.

Quick pic when I recovered him.

Pic from the morning of the 2nd stand I was on.

Small recap to my opinion on the place:
          First off, Mike Castros was a really nice, down to earth and knowledgeable guy. In talking and meeting up with him he really had a great demeanor and helpful attitude.

Accommodations were great with a full kitchen and comfortable sleeping quarters. The electrical had succumbed to the elements upon arrival and he immediately jumped on what needed to be taken care of to get it back on and comfortable for us to stay for the night.

The 40+ acres of low fence ( with electric shock line at the bottom to thwart escapees )
          Had several feeders and multiple stands and a blind.

I did score a decent hog about 85-90lbs within the first 20min.
          Saw plenty of other hogs, but all on the smallish side.

These hogs are not “pets” that will walk up to you and not spook, but they are not so wild that coming out on “cue” behind the feed mule going down the road would stop them.

Leaving the property I believe this would be:

1.) A great place for eager, new beginners to score on a small to mid size pig. A place that is not HUGE so that the chance of seeing animals increases and thus shot opportunities.

2.) A place that would really produce results and memories for young, budding hunters and their folks. Perfect place to bring a young son or daughter and show them the basics of hunting with plenty of shots on smaller hogs.

3.) A place that could sway the FEMALE significant other about hunting. Cabin had all the comforts of home. Staying here is a far cry from other bunk houses that are more rough around the corners.

4.) A place that would be good for some to keep them on their edge and hone hunting and tracking skills.

For me, it was everything Mike told me it was. He created and molded this around the ideas above.
          I did not expect big hogs. Did not expect a SUPER CHALLENGE with HUGE property and SUPER SMART/SAVY/HARD-2-HUNT pigs.

This place was a opportunity to continue to learn and whittle down my ideas on a hunting property one day I’ll find that has everything I expect in challenging and rewarding hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by fused78 View Post
            Well not sure how good Brushy Hill is but its the best prices I have seen,
            100$ a day Turkey
            80$ a day Hogs(unlimited I believe & free varmints & exxotics)

1 of each sounds good to me

jaime
            We went for two days in March, I saw pigs every thime on stand. Some big, some small, but it was a great time. Hunt hog heaven.

Comment

You might try the Double L Ranch in Victoria. About 90 miles south of San Antonio www.doublelranch.net

Comment

Originally posted by takoma View Post
                Hey there brandon, i'm from SA as well. I went hunting 2 diff places last year for hogs. like yourself, I did not want to spend all that much nor travel hours and hours if there could something closer. here are the links to the reviews i did on both day leases :
                the link to the Boazman Lease :

and another :

Information on this Day Lease :

Property Owner : Mike Castro. Number is 210 684 5951, or cell 210 884 3963

Land: Typical South Texas scrub with many oak trees and all sandy soil !

Accommodations: A+ for the very cushee side when it comes to hunting bunk houses. Full kitchen, dining area and large sleeping quarters with AC, Tiled floors, tv, radio, microwave, sink, bathroom…etc…

Setup : 44+ acres molded around catering to the youth hunter, beginner, swaying the “Female” gender into hunting, or the hunters wanting to hone their skills on the off season for tracking and shooting.

Misc:
                Here's what he stated : (Believe I have everything right)

$85 per day- 1 hog( if only one hunter across the weekend- 2 day minimum, or........ at lease 2 hunters then 1 day is fine )
                * Very nice cabin with ac, stove, microwave, sleeps 4
                * If it's just 2 hunters he will lock the weekend so the place is all yours
                * If you don't see any hogs 100% refund
                * 44 acre low fence just for hogs.
                * Does not keep massive 300+lb hogs there for the reason they rip the fence, but many in the 80-150 range, many with 2-3" cutters
                *He feeds twice a day in the morning and at 7pm. States the pigs move in fast and right at those times. Little hunting pressure allows for this.
                * You can choose from tripod stands, ladder stands, or movable aluminum stands along the 1 mile main feed rout
                * mech broadheads allowed
                * No issues with ticks, fleas or rattlesnakes
                * non hunters $25 a day, or anyone under 16 for free to hunt along
                * night time hunting allowed
                *archery only hog place created for beginners and those that want to come home with a kill and experience
                * no deposit in advance, just a call days ahead of time to reserve
                *Small operation that caters to 100% pig sightings, 90% shot rate and 85%recovery rate
                * has a MULE atv. he drives you to your stand

Met up with my bud from Austin here in SA, and then followed Mike down to his lease down in Devine.

Setup quick for the 7pm hunt and soon scored on the pig you see in the pics. Complete pass through with my 125 gr. SLICK TRICKS. Went about 60yard with double lung shot.

Had a great time out at the lease.

Here are some pics of the boar I shot. Nothing to write home about. But took my time for a killer shot on him from that stand.

Some little 3-4inch cutters.

Quick pic when I recovered him.

Pic from the morning of the 2nd stand I was on.

Small recap to my opinion on the place:
                First off, Mike Castros was a really nice, down to earth and knowledgeable guy. In talking and meeting up with him he really had a great demeanor and helpful attitude.

Accommodations were great with a full kitchen and comfortable sleeping quarters. The electrical had succumbed to the elements upon arrival and he immediately jumped on what needed to be taken care of to get it back on and comfortable for us to stay for the night.

The 40+ acres of low fence ( with electric shock line at the bottom to thwart escapees )
                Had several feeders and multiple stands and a blind.

I did score a decent hog about 85-90lbs within the first 20min.
                Saw plenty of other hogs, but all on the smallish side.

These hogs are not “pets” that will walk up to you and not spook, but they are not so wild that coming out on “cue” behind the feed mule going down the road would stop them.

Leaving the property I believe this would be:

1.) A great place for eager, new beginners to score on a small to mid size pig. A place that is not HUGE so that the chance of seeing animals increases and thus shot opportunities.

2.) A place that would really produce results and memories for young, budding hunters and their folks. Perfect place to bring a young son or daughter and show them the basics of hunting with plenty of shots on smaller hogs.

3.) A place that could sway the FEMALE significant other about hunting. Cabin had all the comforts of home. Staying here is a far cry from other bunk houses that are more rough around the corners.

4.) A place that would be good for some to keep them on their edge and hone hunting and tracking skills.

For me, it was everything Mike told me it was. He created and molded this around the ideas above.
                I did not expect big hogs. Did not expect a SUPER CHALLENGE with HUGE property and SUPER SMART/SAVY/HARD-2-HUNT pigs.

This place was a opportunity to continue to learn and whittle down my ideas on a hunting property one day I’ll find that has everything I expect in challenging and rewarding hunting.

thanks for taking the time to write this info....sorry so long to write back though i totally forgot about this thread...

im sure to call him before this summer most likely it will just be me and my dad/or grandpa ...with only me hunting...well thanks for the info and it seems like the best place for me to go to...

Comment

Working...
                X