Muzzleloader pronghorn load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muzzleloader pronghorn load

What is the best grain and brand bullet and load?

What kinda gun ?

Comment

Are sabots allowed where you're hunting? 200-300 grains should be fine. CVA Powerbelts would work too if you need a full bore bullet.

Comment

I've had to track too many deer too far to shoot power belts. Plenty here have had issues as well. I also only shoot 75 to 100 grains of pellets. But I'm not needing to shoot more than 100 yards and don't have a scope
        Last edited by Quackerbox; 05-24-2018, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Don’t over think it, use what shots best. It’s a pronghorn, not exactly the heartiest ungulate

Comment

Only load I got is 100 grains of paradox pellets behind 275 gr horneday jhp good to about 275 yards in a Knight rifle 3-9 scope

Comment

Look at persision rifle bullets, they offer several well made ones. Always liked hornady Great Plains my self also. And a lot depends on the rifle you have, twist rate of barrel. If it's a side lock replica it may have a twist for patched round balls. As does my brothers browning hawken, has no problem with antelope or deer with it.
              Last edited by critter69; 05-24-2018, 06:52 AM.

Comment

^ This. Twist rate is everything in a Muzzleloader. If it's an inline or true muzzleloader you will have different needs. I always shot side locks and my best loads were with Goex Black powder and buffalo bullets. If I am just hunting deer, then Patched Round ball is very effective.

Comment

The fact is as with any thing that flings/shoots a projectile there are numerous factors that effect accuracy and effectiveness. There isn't usually a simple answer, you'll need to define your setup a bit to get information that is usefull. Different combinations might or might not shoot well in your rifle, you will have do some trial and error to see what's fits your liking/needs.

Comment

Working...
                  X