No announcement yet.

If you had one weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read on Mike Hanbacks old blog that more bucks are rutting Nov 5-16th nation wide than ever. I have had great encounters rattling bucks then. (not south texas, that was late December)

Comment

Last weekend oct, first weekend of November for bucks
      I wouldn't worry about meat (does) and concentrate on prerut bucks.
      Cooler weather then too.
      Congrats on the baby. Best days of my life started with my kids.

Remember setting a precedent now on hunting )or not hunting ) may haunt you
      I love my kids, but men need man time like women need to nurture and talk to women.

Comment

How far is your lease from where you live? I hunted a lot after my son was born, but I was only 45 mins away. We both went a few times that year as well and just got a baby sitter (my mom) for the morning or evening. This year should be great. Just signed on a lease where I can be to my stand in less than 10 mins!

Also, if there is some close, look into hunting public land. I have a lease, but I hunt public land more than I hunt my lease!
        Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Hah!

The wife and I agreed, that's a funny one!

Comment

Good luck.. my son was born 12/18 so I had my hunting wrapped up by then

It's easy when they're that little as their attached to mom, literally

Wait til they understand daddy is leaving for the weekend

Comment

Originally posted by fishingsetx View Post
              How far is your lease from where you live? I hunted a lot after my son was born, but I was only 45 mins away. We both went a few times that year as well and just got a baby sitter (my mom) for the morning or evening. This year should be great. Just signed on a lease where I can be to my stand in less than 10 mins!

Also, if there is some close, look into hunting public land. I have a lease, but I hunt public land more than I hunt my lease!
              Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
              I live in Richardson and hunt in Palestine. With a stop at Walmart for weekend supplies, it's 3 hours. So round trip 6 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
                I find myself already planning for next hunting season. I have a new problem I have never faced before.

The wife and I are having a baby girl in late Sept. Due 9/26. The wife and I have agreed that I should only take one weekend to hunt deer this fall.

So with likely only going to the lease in early Sept to prep, then back to hunt. So no chance to escape to hand corn, or ensure feeders are full, or check on the food plot growth. I do plan on planting in Sept, and pray for rain.

Which weekend should I hunt, I am thinking 10/29, so I can shoot a doe in Archery season and ensure some success for the year. Or do I go 11/5 (my b-day) and gun hunt for a buck only. (buck only in gun). Or do I try and hit the peak rut of 11/14.

Which weekend would you go?
                What county are you hunting in? I ready where quite a few counties are getting their doe days extended 16 days into November. Might check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by BtechDestroyer View Post
                  What county are you hunting in? I ready where quite a few counties are getting their doe days extended 16 days into November. Might check it out.
                  Edit: see your in Anderson County. I'm trying to find the article.

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
                    I find myself already planning for next hunting season. I have a new problem I have never faced before.

The wife and I are having a baby girl in late Sept. Due 9/26. The wife and I have agreed that I should only take one weekend to hunt deer this fall.

So with likely only going to the lease in early Sept to prep, then back to hunt. So no chance to escape to hand corn, or ensure feeders are full, or check on the food plot growth. I do plan on planting in Sept, and pray for rain.

Which weekend should I hunt, I am thinking 10/29, so I can shoot a doe in Archery season and ensure some success for the year. Or do I go 11/5 (my b-day) and gun hunt for a buck only. (buck only in gun). Or do I try and hit the peak rut of 11/14.

Which weekend would you go?
                    Between the 5th and 14th of Nov...if there is only one choice. 2nd choice, end of October. There is gonna be a Dark moon on the 29th and it will be up all day. So my 2nd choice maybe my 1st choice. Don't think you can go wrong from the last week of Oct to the 14th of Nov. Hunt all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                      Last weekend oct, first weekend of November for bucks
                      I wouldn't worry about meat (does) and concentrate on prerut bucks.
                      Cooler weather then too.
                      Congrats on the baby. Best days of my life started with my kids.

Remember setting a precedent now on hunting )or not hunting ) may haunt you
                      I love my kids, but men need man time like women need to nurture and talk to women.
                      Great advice.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                        Between the 5th and 14th of Nov...if there is only one choice. 2nd choice, end of October. There is gonna be a Dark moon on the 29th and it will be up all day. So my 2nd choice maybe my 1st choice. Don't think you can go wrong from the last week of Oct to the 14th of Nov. Hunt all day.
                        Thanks. I was also kicking the idea around of a late season hunt to get into some cold weather, but I like the idea of starting early in hopes of a getting approved for a second weekend.

It seems everyone is saying Early Nov.

Who knows I may want to be with the baby than the treestand. I am looking forward to the experience.

Comment

Why are you asking us? Sounds like your wife will let you know when it is OK to go.

Comment

I would hunt deer all season and a new wife at the end of it! JK...good luck.

Comment

One weekend is as good as the next. I've killed deer when I didn't expect to see a thing and not seen a thing when I had the moon, wind and feeding patterns all figured out. No substitute for being in a tree when he walks by.

Your first kid is a special experience, enjoy it. Maybe next year your wife will let you hunt more.

Comment

Working...
                              X