From Boat to Yak and Vice Versa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Boat to Yak and Vice Versa

Who has gone from a yak to boat? Any regrets?
    Who has gone from a boat to a yak? Any regrets?

Sorry if there’s a post already like this. I’m rocking my little girl to sleep and am struggling trying to search a bunch of threads. Haha

Reason for my interest: I can either invest in a yak now, or a boat in the near future. Can’t have both and the struggle is real. Never had either, and would love to hear opinions.
    Last edited by Ginja Ninja; 05-23-2018, 08:15 PM.

Boat is a no brainer! ><>

Comment

I have a boat and three kayaks. They're each a different way to get em. A boat gives you more distance. A kayak goes where a boat can't. It depends on where you want to fish on which way you go. It's a tough choice. Good luck.

Comment

I went from a 20ft CC boat to a kayak. My fishing buddy got the gall bladder cancer and I aint found anyone that really liked to fish and pay their fair share, so I sold my big boat last year and never wetted a line till a month ago. Bought a kayak from Academy when they were on sale, its a Pescador Pro 120 and I paid 685.00 .

They was a feller that had a Hobie Pro Angler on TBH for sale, and I chatted with him about it, but I just was afraid to spend 2500.00 on a kayak and then figure out that I did not like it and lose my azz trying to sell it. Them Hobies is real good ones though.

I been fishing out of my kayak four times now and its a challenge. I really enjoy it so far and its a learning process. It aint no boat and you got lots of limitations but man you can get up in the thick stuff fishing freshwater. Heck, just get you cheap kayak and use it till you got enough money for a boat.

Comment

The way I look at it is like this... if you love being on the water you will find a way. Yaks can go places most boats can't. If that's your way so be it. My thoughts are.. if I'm going to be in a boat it is going to move me...im not moving it.

Comment

I went from yak to boat to yak... boats are great if you can consistently use them but there are times I go 4-5 months without fishing and my yak cost me zero up keep. Plus I usually do as well as a lot of guys on boat.

Comment

Finally something I know something about. I sold my boat three years ago and bought kayaks. If you are hunting stripers or hybrids, keep the boat. My son and I have had our kayaks on rivers, small lakes, large lakes, bays and even offshore. We've also duck hunted with them.

Advantages, your forced to put thought into launch selection and work water more thoroughly. You have access to spots boats cant go. This is big in the bays.

Disadvantages: if you guess wrong you have to pick up and launch somewhere else. For duck hunting you can get back into areas even airboats can't go. But the big disadvantage is if you are hunting an accessible spot you need to be on the water by midnight and plan on sleeping in your blind.

I enjoy being closer to the water. When I had my boat I was always thinking about where I would move to next. With the kayaks I slow down and work the water I'm at.

Comment

I went from a yak to a small bay boat. The only regret is I cannot go near as skinny, quiet, or easy (polling) as in the yak. Other than that, I don't look back.

Comment

Went from yak to boat when my son was born. Its a side console 1654 aluminum boat with 40hp Yamaha. I made a lot of memories in the yak, but now my little man can go with me.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJake View Post
                    Went from yak to boat when my son was born. Its a side console 1654 aluminum boat with 40hp Yamaha. I made a lot of memories in the yak, but now my little man can go with me.
                    This is my dilemma with my decision, with a 7 and 4 year old a boat would be a better idea. But paying for the 8 month old makes a yak more feasible... I told the wife I want to own a boat within the next five years, for the kids but if my old man winds up getting the pontoon he's always wanted then I'll just mooch Only thing better than owning a boat is knowing someone that does!

Comment

It's great to have friends. It's great to have a boat. It's better to have a friend with a boat.

Comment

I went from a 18' ranger to a 12' yak.

The ranger is for sale

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
                          This is my dilemma with my decision, with a 7 and 4 year old a boat would be a better idea. But paying for the 8 month old makes a yak more feasible... I told the wife I want to own a boat within the next five years, for the kids but if my old man winds up getting the pontoon he's always wanted then I'll just mooch Only thing better than owning a boat is knowing someone that does!
                          I grew up on boats and want my kids to have that experience too. We actually have a ski boat and a fishing boat. Crazy, I know. When we go out, the joy on my son's face makes it worth the upkeep.

My main advice is buy used, pay cash if you can, and maintain it yourself.

You could also get a yak now, and sell it later for very little cost of ownership compared to a boat.

Comment

Hate to say it but you need both lol. I still just my kayaks even though I have a boat. Sometimes the convenience is nice to just drop in the water if you know your fishing close to shore. If I had to pick one though it would be boat. We even put our kayaks in the boats and anchor up/take off into the marsh since mine isn't run in nothing kinda skinny boat. Let's you get to places you'd never be able to paddle to and still fish flats without dropping big money or being in o e of the newer nicer boats that run so shallow and smooth or a cheaper old dargel type that beats you up if you want to take the family out to cruise

I say buy a used yak now for under $500. $500 isn't going to make a big difference on a used boat purchase if you shop around and keep the yak once you get your boat. Main thing is getting on the water.
                            Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 05-24-2018, 01:19 AM.

Comment

I went from a 17' bass boat to a kayak. I'm a big guy so I had to spend some extra for a good one but so far I enjoy it. I don't have to pay for launching fuel insurance registration or anything. It's a workout and I know most of us may not think we need it but we do. It really makes you a better fishermen as like people said you can't just find fish that will bite your favorite lure you need to really study and focus on what you have. Storage was also a thing for me as well. Real easy to store a kayak anywhere. You start to add up those costs and when hunting season comes your not really fishing so you have it taking up room and if you didn't treat it right before putting it up for winter you might have a bill come spring fixing the motor.

I say they have pluses and minuses each. A boat you can bring people and cover water but is fun with a few buddies with Kayaks fishing different areas with you as well.

I will say eventually I'll have a boat again but not for a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X