4-A Hunting in Rocksprings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4-A Hunting in Rocksprings

Anyone know anything about this outfit, looks pretty new.

Thx

I talked to the owner on the phone this morning and he sounded like he was really into the hunter having a good hunt. It sounded good. I think that I am going to try to go down there around April 2008. The website is
    www.4-ahuntingranch.com. His rates are very reasonable. Maybe someone else can reply also and give us both more insight.

Comment

I have hunted on the 4A in fact I am the guy on his site with the Axis doe. Let me start off by telling you about Albert the owner, he is genuine and more concerned about you enjoying your stay than anything else. He is exactly the same in person as he is on the phone if not better.

I arrived late on a Friday night as I could not get off of work early (thanks to the Army). None the less he called me numerous times for updates on my travel so he could meet me off the paved road. Finally I met up with him and followed him to the ranch. When I got to the ranch he showed me the ranch house which is a building with 6 single beds in two rooms, a central common area with stocked fridge water, soda, beer, milk, tea. Table with snacks, coffee pot for my use as well. The beds have clean sheets on them and you need to bring a blanket. There is electricity but no running water for showers but Albert has a system that works out perfect, so if you have to have hot running water it will not happen.

OK next Albert and I sat outside shooting the breeze and going over the ranch rules and regs. Very straight forward and he is honest when he tells you that you look over the area and if you do not want to hunt it is ok you pay nothing more. He would not take my money that first night, he insisted I hunt Sat morning and after the morning hunt if I wanted to stay then I would pay the balance due, if not no additional money is desired.

Ok the hunt, Albert has 4 feeders spread out with action on all of them! I was placed in the furthest one at roughly 5:30 in the morning after a nice wake up and coffee along with honey buns. I had taken a red light scope for my rifle in case any hogs came in, none did in the dark but I did watch some form of deer (large body) in the distance with the red light for a while. Day light came and soon 2 whitetail does were in the opening picking away in front of me. To my left I saw an Axis cut across an opening with no time for me to react. Keep in mind this is just at daybreak. Not 20 minutes later as I am watching a solo doe (whitetail) pick and feed a big bodied Axis walked through the opening to my left, needless to say I missed.

Fast Forward to the end of the morning hunt, as I said I missed so was unwilling to shoot again until I knew my scope was on the money. Back to the ranch house and I took a few shots finding out I just clean missed. Albert meanwhile was slaving over a slab of ribs in the smoker, good grief they were good when we gorged later. Took a short rest and relaxed around the camp as it was too hot to go back out. That evening, I had been in the blind maybe 40 minutes when 2 whitetail does walked out followed shortly by a 3rd. I was watching them when movement on the left caught my eye and low and behold a nice Axis doe emerged. No missing this time, Albert was quick on the radio and came down to help get her out and load her up. I chose to leave the blind as I was offered the chance to stay and hunt while he took care of the deer. That night, we hung up the doe, quartered here while snacks, Sausage and Ribs were served with a few beverages. Night time and Albert offered to let me go hunt if I wanted all night, I chose to relish the day and enjoy the company.

Sunday I woke up had a snack and coffee hit the blind with high winds, nothing was moving that morning. Finally I called it a morning, went back cut steaks, roast and stew packaged. Albert and I went looking for doves which he offered to loan me a shotgun as he was not aware I had one with me, that is the hospitality he offers. No luck on doves so he took me sightseeing and into town that morning/early afternoon to show this Illinois boy the beauty of the Texas Hill Country. We got back I took a short nap and decided to forego the evening hunt to make it back the the post and get ready for another Army week.

I will be back to hunt with Albert and if anyone has any questions feel free to email me at kkpuddleduck@aol.com He is a small operation with no guarantees, he has animals on his feeders, I heard elk bugle in the distance even. Hogs are there, exotics are there. He has owned the ranch a short time and his rates are more than reasonable for the service he provides.
      Do not fret if you do not care for his operation his feelings are not hurt and you are not out an arm and a leg. He has been a day hunter his entire life and gone places where they take your money show you a blind and walk away. Not like that at his place, enjoy the time there and I will be happy to talk to anyone on the phone about the great time I had. Guaranteed you will feel as I do after a weekend with him.

Enjoy your trip 2 1/2 days hunting for 450 or 350, military, fire and police discounts! Lodging and his cooking over the smoker! This guy is a diamond in the rough! One last thing he told me Kids are free! Beat that.
      Last edited by P'duck; 11-04-2007, 04:30 PM.

Comment

very nice... thanks Duck, I am really looking forward to my trip in Janurary now.

Comment

how many acres is the ranch? Sounds like a very nice and reasonable priced ranch too, how did the blackbuch look on the ranch ? Thanks Tyler

Comment

I never saw a black buck, Albert has seen them in the past. I can tell you that the Sitka deer are abundant in the area as well. While coming in Sunday afternoon we met up with the owner of the ranch next door who had watched Sitka, Fallow and Whitetails that morning on thier feeders. I am going back to hunt Thanksgiving weekend and know that I will have a successful weekend simply because of the way Albert does things.

Weather plays a big factor on hunting and I am very new to Texas and exotics, yet in Southern Illinois when the weather changes the whitetails really move. When I was at the ranch it was comfortable in the morning and evening yet hot and I mean hot in the daytime. I saw a large number of animals and believe that when it cools down the animals in Texas will react the same as they do at home. With the weather cooling I would expect to see more movement and with all the trees, brush and general cover in the hill countrys' canyons no telling what will show up and/or materialze at any moment in time. Again, I had a great time and would believe anyone lookig for a nice relaxing weekend will also.

Comment

Sounds like a great place! I am going to the lincoln this year for whitetail but next year I believe I'll try 4A for exotics. Please keep us informed of your success.

Comment

Sounds good, I now know what im getting my dad for christmas

Comment

What about fishing? Anyfishing during the day?

Comment

You could fish maybe 15 minutes away at the crystal clear river that runs through the area, no place on the ranch. There are fish in it not sure what kind or how big though, call Albert he will fill you in.

I confirmed a return trip Thanksgiving weekend which I hope promises to turn into alot of fun and some more meat in the freezer.

Cheers to all.

Duck

Comment

Hey P'duck let us know how your Thanksgiving trip goes! I got your voicemail on my cell... been really busy lately. I will let you know how our trip in Jan. goes, will post pics. That doe you got looks like some fine eatin'

Comment

Has anybody been down to 4-A Hunting recently? If so how did you do? Also if anybody has pictures from down there will you post them?

Comment

the first two pics of the axis does on their website were shot last week of October and the second two pics were shot the first week of Nov.

Comment

Hey P'duck, how did your thanksgiving hunt go?

Comment

4-A Hunting Ranch – Rocksprings, TX

I hunted the 4-A Hunting Ranch the weekend after Thanksgiving and have to give Albert 2 thumbs up for an outstanding hunt and over all good time.

I contacted Albert with 4-A a week before the hunt to reserve a spot. Albert was very up front and honest about his set up. He informed me that it was a no fenced 60 acre ranch with three main hunting stands. He also told me that he had not been seeing a lot of animals but that he had seen something just about every time he went out. He then explained what I needed to bring and told me about the lodging. The lodge house has electricity but no running water and that he had plenty of water jugs for us to use. I told him that I was interested in giving it a try and gave him my $100 deposit and told him that I would see him Friday about noon.

I was looking forward to the hunt as I was also going to meet P’duck who had told me about the ranch and an Axis doe that he had gotten there, last time he hunted.

Well I started my trip west to the ranch and I got a call about 2 hours before I got there from Robert ”P’duck” telling me he had already gotten a 5 pointer that morning. Well time to hurry up and get there! Albert met me at the main road and took me to the ranch. When we got there Albert already had lunch on the grill and wanted to know if I wanted to eat or see the ranch. He said for me to look the place over before I decided if I wanted to stay and hunt, if I chose to stay we could settle up money wise and take care of the paperwork. I decided to see the ranch so he showed me the lodging and then I loaded up my rifle and took a walk with Albert. He showed me blind number one and the set up, we talked and decide not to drive to the other blinds as it was getting to be about time to go hunt.

Well we hunted hard Friday, Saturday and Sunday and Robert ended up getting an outstanding Axis buck that was in velvet and the 5 point Whitetail. I did not get anything but had a blast and Albert more than went out of his way to accommodate me, he even offered to let me stay Sunday night and hunt again Monday.

Albert is a class act and I will be hunting with him and 4-A Ranch again.

Thanks for a great hunt and good times!!!

You can see a list of the items that you need to bring and what is supplied as well as pics, prices and contact info on the ranch’s website.

Comment

Working...
                              X