deer lease questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deer lease questions

What questions should be asked before wasting time going to look at a potential deer lease? I am hunting for my first lease and would like to minimize wasted time.

Price
    Water/Electricity
    Year round or Seasonal
    Guest Policy
    Owner involvement during the hunting Season
    What all does a spot give tag wise

Comment

Acres
      Bow/ gun
      Feed program
      How many hunters total
      What animals does it have

Comment

Make sure your group will have exclusive hunting rights. We just went through this. Again.

Comment

How much time do you want to put into a lease if it isn't a long-term venture by the owner. ? Owners can be hard to work with. Beware.

Comment

If you are joining an existing lease I would get a copy of the rules if they are available.

Comment

Willing to provide any references from previous groups. This will give you a good idea on not what the owner is like but what type of deer, qualiaty, quanity , # of animals seen per average hunt.

Is protein a requirement and if so what months.

Comment

Im really hoping to get a long term lease. Keep them coming guys. I want to be as prepared as possible

Comment

-% of wooded to open area?
                  - any water on the property?
                  - livestock?
                  - how big are the neighboring properties?
                  - quota?
                  - year around access?

Comment

PM me I have a couple of spots open. I will answer any questions for you. We are very family oriented.

Comment

Make sure to ask if every spot/person pays the same price. Sometimes you get 1-2 guys who subsidize their hunting with new guys by making them pay more than their fair share.

Comment

Ask how much hunting pressure there is from the neighbors.

Comment

Ask why the ranch is available or why there are openings.
                          Ask for references.
                          Ask for pics of recent bucks taken.
                          How many acres?
                          How many hunters?
                          What kind of management program is in place? What are the goals?

Comment

Originally posted by lnester View Post
                            Make sure to ask if every spot/person pays the same price. Sometimes you get 1-2 guys who subsidize their hunting with new guys by making them pay more than their fair share.
                            I've been on leases where the lease manager pays nothing. What difference does that make? If you like the lease and like the price you're paying who cares?

Comment

^^^ I was thinking the same thing. Also if you are the one responsible for fronting the money, recruiting hunters, and generally organizing the lease I don't think a "free spot" is all that unreasonable.

Comment

Working...
                              X