No announcement yet.

First Point report 11-01-11-03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks like a great place and sounds like you had a real good time....thanks for the information...ill be looking further into this place in the future

Comment

It is definitely a great place

Comment

Originally posted by Killem all View Post
        www.firstpointbowhunting.com
        Tyak was Mike feeding the road on the back were the big pocket and the 2 big mesquite trees are. Is that were he was seeing the 160.
        Just got back today from hunting pasture #5. Mike is not feeding the back road by the 2 big mesquites. I had a tri pod in the west mesquite overlooking a big scrape and was feeding the old road there and never saw anything but does. Hunted 4 days and never saw anything bigger than a 4 point. Saw about 15 does each setting but no bucks. I only talked to 1 hunter out of 20 that saw a shooter buck but he did not shoot because he was not sure of the deers age. We were covered up with does but just could not get any bucks to come out. We had several good ground blinds also but nothing at them either. Mike and Nancy are great hosts just did not work out this time for us. Mike killed a 13 point the day before we got there that will score about 130.Good luck if you go but like Tyak said it in definately not a cake walk

Comment

I will be there Jan. 6 - Jan. 11. And trust me I know they are the most difficult deer to hunt which makes the kill that much more rewarding.
          What did Mike say he was seeing in that pasture. Was there any pigs or Javi's .

Comment

Lots of javi's but only saw 3 pigs but none close enough to shoot. He said he had been seeing a hugh 12 point by the creek between 8 & 5 by the Waukesha fence that he thinks is a B&C. Said he also was seeing some 140's close to the feeders. We set up 2 really good blinds on the north road by #6 where he said he was seeing a good 10 and a copule close to the feeders but only say the same ole does, fawns & small bucks. The scrape I hunted by the big mesquites was being hit but I guess it was at night cause I only saw one 4 point there. He quit feeding that road because Mr. Pearce has been lurking there in the evening and I guess Mike thinks he is trying to get the big deer. Did not look like anyone had been feeding by the trees in a while but if you get that pasture look there first and see if the scrape is active. It is actually just 20 yards east of the east mesquite tree. Good luck

Comment

I hope I get that pasture it is my favorite. But that means I probably will not. thats fine too I think they are all good. Mr. pearce did that crap last year. I do not remember how many times I sasw them on that fence hunting. It was a bunch. Where did Mike shoot his buck at? 2. Did they say which pasture they were not going to allow any hunting in. Last year I think it was 10
              Last edited by Killem all; 11-11-2008, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Nancy said they were hunting 1,4 & 10. She did not say where Mike shot his buck, but she missed two 8 points in 10 while we were there. There is a drilling rig running about 1/2 mile from the camp in 11 with a lot of truck activity there so I doubt they will hunt it. I can see why 5 is such a great pasture. It has lots of area for the bucks to hide in with no roads . If I go back it will either be very early in October before the deer are pressured or late in the year during the rut. You should be fine hunting in January, should be plenty of bucks chasing does then if you can get one of them to stop long enough for a shot. I think they need to start shooting some does, probably 50 or so, way too many in my opinion.

Comment

I always thought the same on the does but he says that they can control the population better with rifles across the fence. I can see where he is coming from but still wish we could take a doe. I shot my buck last year Dec. 28th and he was chasing a doe. Corn stopped them both just long enough. So is pasture 2 open to hunters. I thought that was were Mike and Nancy hunted. Maybe I was wrong and they keep 10 closed it has been closed the past two years.

Comment

I talked to some hunters that were hunting in 2 so I guess they rotated it in and took 4 out. The way Mike and everyone else is feeding and the rifle hunting pressure all around them, their does are not going to leave, more does are goiing to come into their sanctuary where it is safe. One thing I think would make sence is if they would sell a limited number of doe permits, say 50 for $100-first come first served, and when they are all sold, regardless of whether all of them were filled or not, the doe hunting stops. They could help control their buck doe ratio better and put 5k in the kitty at the same time. Annual game surveys could tell them the number of doe permits to issue each year. I would buy one if they were available.

Comment

Selling doe permits would be nice to decrease the head count and up the chances for a doe with a trophy buck following to come by. Did the guys in 2 talk much about that pasture? That is were Mike shot one of his deer last year. Did you hear anything about 12?

Comment

One of the guys talked about being set up in a low spot on the east side and he saw bucks every day but no shooters. He said Mike told him there was a 150" 10 point in that area. The guy I talked about earlier that passed on the 8 point was also hunting in 2 but he did not say where. The guys we shared the kitchen with were hunting in 12 and they only saw one 8 point but said it was a 2 1/2 year old deer. Nearly everyone else was only seeing does, spikes & 4points, like us. We had 2 guys in our party that were hunting 6 and only saw the same thing we saw. There were 3 of us hunting in 5.

Comment

Is there any reports on pasture 13?

Comment

Working...
                          X