Hunters First Deer/Buck Kill Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunters First Deer/Buck Kill Ever

So I'm on my way home from Oklahoma back to Kansas on Monday when one of the landowners in my church that has let me hunt his farms for the past 13 years calls me. He asks if I can take his grandson Mike and his wife Alyssa hunting on his farms. He says that Mike has never bow hunted and his wife Alyssa has never hunted at all.

I said I would count it a privilege. So I get home later on Monday evening and Tuesday they come over to the house so I can show them some aerial photos of the layout of the farms. We are supposed to go to lunch but I tell them we don't have time. We need to put out a stand on a great creek crossing I have hunted in the past. I used to keep a lock-on on a tree there but it broke and I just hadn't put anything else up yet.

So they head to Walmart and buy a new ladderstand and I help them put it together and then they help me set the stand. We have the stand put up by 3:30pm and Alyssa hunts the stand that evening.

Her husband Mike the grandson calls me later than night to let me know Alyssa missed a fork horn. I tell him to put her back in the stand for Wednesday morning and to stay put until at least noon. I tell Mike this is the best creek crossing I've ever hunted and she will get lots of action because it's the rut.

So Dan the landowner calls me at 10:15am this morning to tell me Alyssa shoots a great 13 point buck and could I help them get it out. I grabbed my muck boots and headed out the door. I arrive in the field and walk up on Dan, Mike and Alyssa admiring the buck.

In the pic is Mike and Alyssa and Mike's grandfather Dan the landowner.

The gross score was 171 inches on the nose and it's 152 1/4 with deductions. I couldn't be happier for Alyssa.

It get's better. Something I didn't mention is that 25 year old Alyssa has Cystic Fibrosis and she wanted to hunt to prove that Cystic Fibrosis doesn't stop you from doing anything you put your mind to. Last January Mike and Alyssa's New Years resolution was to buy bows and start hunting together.

Three years ago I officiated at Mike and Alyssa's wedding and I never thought I'd see her out hunting. It's been a special day for me.

I've never killed a 171 inch buck but I feel as though I have today.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by the preacherman; 11-15-2017, 10:51 PM.

Wow. She is ruined forever on that one Lol. Awesome buck! Congrats to her!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s just awesome. Congrats to them

Comment

CONGRATS to Alyssa!!Fabulous buck!

Comment

Congrats. Great story with a happy ending.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
            Wow. She is ruined forever on that one Lol. Awesome buck! Congrats to her!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
            Yes she's going to have a tough time topping this one. But there are some great bucks on this farm. She saw six bucks go under the stand 70 yards to her south before this one crossed the creek and came straight to her.

Comment

That is a great story and a big congrats to Alyssa as well as everyone else.

Comment

Awesome buck, and even better story!

Comment

Mike and Alyssa are wonderful role models for all of us and not just people with an illness. What a great story with a great family and a dear friend. Congrats on a great whitetail. Mike has some of catching up to do. Thanks for sharing this adventure.

Comment

Amen. Well done.

Comment

I had to post this pic. I'm the old guy in the Mathews hat. LOLOL!!!
                      Attached Files

Comment

That's awesome!! Congratulations to the young lady, she's killed a beauty of a buck and shown that a disease is only a handicap if you let it be one

Comment

Super deer for a great family. Glad you were part of a wonderful event.

His service will be rewarded.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                            Super deer for a great family. Glad you were part of a wonderful event.

His service will be rewarded.
                            I see you are from Henderson. I was pastor at Martin's Chapel from 1998-2002 over close to you at Concord. I used to drive to Henderson 5 days a week with my son so we could work out together.

Comment

Pure greatness

Comment

Working...
                              X