Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead, TX
Default Calling the offshore guys

Wanting to do a run to rigs in the near future.

For those that fish offshore, where is a good place to put in on the Texas coast that is closest to near by rigs/platforms?

Looking for a good place and can get my bait and put in that will be the shortest route out.

Matagorda?
Freeport?
Sargent?
POC?

Thank you in advance
TXHUNT3R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
rcm719
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sabine County, Milam County

Oh.... wrong offshore, got my hopes up.
rcm719 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
SB09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor and Grayson Counties

We use Freeport
SB09 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB09 View Post
We use Freeport
Was just looking at freeport on google maps.

About how far to the nearest rig?
Old 10-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
SB09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor and Grayson Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHUNT3R View Post

Not too far at all. There is a small one and a bigger one maybe 2-5 miles offshore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
SB09 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB09 View Post
Not too far at all. There is a small one and a bigger one maybe 2-5 miles offshore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That is perfect.

Whats the name of the place you launch?
Old 10-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #7
-HIC-
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:

Most trailered boats put in at Bridge Bait and Tackle to head out of the Freeport Jetties. You can see the closest rigs right out of the gate. Just be aware that the place is packed on good days/weekends, and so are those close in rigs. If you have the boat I would plan on avoiding the frustration of the closer rigs as you head to the blue water. Also be aware; If you have a smaller boat and the wind is not ideal the end of the Freeport Jetties will have a fairly large swell to a dangerous swell/chop. Going out I have seen guys in small aluminum boats, I always wonder how long that luck will hold out!
-HIC- is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
Jmsck12
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

We fish south padre and on a flat day can be at the rigs in 5 minutes with our flats boat. 15 miles from the jetties to the rigs. I know corpus is a lot closer since the Kayak guys go to the rigs out there but Iíve never been there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmsck12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #9
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HIC- View Post
Most trailered boats put in at Bridge Bait and Tackle to head out of the Freeport Jetties. You can see the closest rigs right out of the gate. Just be aware that the place is packed on good days/weekends, and so are those close in rigs. If you have the boat I would plan on avoiding the frustration of the closer rigs as you head to the blue water. Also be aware; If you have a smaller boat and the wind is not ideal the end of the Freeport Jetties will have a fairly large swell to a dangerous swell/chop. Going out I have seen guys in small aluminum boats, I always wonder how long that luck will hold out!
Thank you very much for the info. Previous owner to my boat said 4-5ft seas are no problem so hoping I should be ok.

Yeah I might try to run out little further from the crowd. I will have 64gals of fuel with a 150HP motor so I should be able to run out a bit.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Where are you driving from. In my opinion it is hard to beat Port Mansfield. You can catch solid state snaps there if you want to fish deep water fish the shelf is close. Close rigs out of Freeport right now are just bulls reds and sharks.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #11
Chuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Falfurrias

I like to launch out of either TXCity or Freeport. Freeport gets to deeper water faster, but since the slowdown in O&G there have been a good number of rigs taken down. Still some good rigs to run to though. Take a look at TPWD artificial reef locations as well. Buoys also hold fish, so don't be afraid to try those out.

what boat? 4-6 seas can mean a whole lot different in a 18 boat vs a 23 ft boat. From the 150, I'm guessing toward the 18-20 ft range. You may need to be very picky on when you go. Even 2 ft can be disastrous if the wave period is short. 4 foot can be nice and easy in a long wave period. Remember, the weathermen are usually drunk, double whatever height they call for.

Last edited by Chuy; 10-12-2017 at 01:40 PM..
Chuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #12
glen
Pope & Young

I was going to tell you a boat with a single 150 is a small boat- 4s-5s is out. Even in larger center console boats 5s in Texas are brutal and I talking about 31 footers with twin 250s. Did we float and make it yes. It was a tournament or none of us would have even cleared the rocks. You need to go on a high pressure with 1s-2s and judge 3s. You probably don't have radar so I would not go on any questionable weather forecast.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #13
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

I would be very careful with a single 150. All it takes is loosing the motor in some 3-4s to cause problems quick.
CastAndBlast is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #14
ccbluewater
Six Point

Hunt In: Freer

Quote:
Thank you very much for the info. Previous owner to my boat said 4-5ft seas are no problem so hoping I should be ok.

Yeah I might try to run out little further from the crowd. I will have 64gals of fuel with a 150HP motor so I should be able to run out a bit.
I'd be careful with just taking the previous owners words on that you're totally good in 4-5ft seas. Ran a 33T Contender for years, and 4-5's makes for a not so fun trip most of the time, I don't care what boat you are in. Going off of a 150, and 64 gallons of fuel, Im guessing you are in 21-25ft range. i'd stick to the 2' or Less Forecast days until you feel very comfortable. Just my opinion however.

Freeport is a good option for launching, as you have nice Jetties to come back through, and most of the ramps are relatively close to the Jetties(rather than say Matagorda which you have to run down the river a bit). Rigs are becoming few and far between but both have options.
ccbluewater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #15
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbluewater View Post
I'd be careful with just taking the previous owners words on that you're totally good in 4-5ft seas. Ran a 33T Contender for years, and 4-5's makes for a not so fun trip most of the time, I don't care what boat you are in. Going off of a 150, and 64 gallons of fuel, Im guessing you are in 21-25ft range. i'd stick to the 2' or Less Forecast days until you feel very comfortable. Just my opinion however.

Freeport is a good option for launching, as you have nice Jetties to come back through, and most of the ramps are relatively close to the Jetties(rather than say Matagorda which you have to run down the river a bit). Rigs are becoming few and far between but both have options.
Oh for sure, I am not trusting 4-5 footers. He said it COULD but was not fun. Stick to calm seas or less than 2' no doubt.

I have a 22' Laguna
Old 10-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #16
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuy View Post
I like to launch out of either TXCity or Freeport. Freeport gets to deeper water faster, but since the slowdown in O&G there have been a good number of rigs taken down. Still some good rigs to run to though. Take a look at TPWD artificial reef locations as well. Buoys also hold fish, so don't be afraid to try those out.

what boat? 4-6 seas can mean a whole lot different in a 18 boat vs a 23 ft boat. From the 150, I'm guessing toward the 18-20 ft range. You may need to be very picky on when you go. Even 2 ft can be disastrous if the wave period is short. 4 foot can be nice and easy in a long wave period. Remember, the weathermen are usually drunk, double whatever height they call for.
lol drunk weathermen...

I have a 22' Semi V Laguna I will not be going out over 2' seas... No thank you!!
Old 10-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #17
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
I would be very careful with a single 150. All it takes is loosing the motor in some 3-4s to cause problems quick.
Yeah, single motor is scary for sure. Need to be very careful and pick my days cautiously
Old 10-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #18
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Where are you driving from. In my opinion it is hard to beat Port Mansfield. You can catch solid state snaps there if you want to fish deep water fish the shelf is close. Close rigs out of Freeport right now are just bulls reds and sharks.
Dang, maybe one day. That is pretty far south. I am in Hempstead NW of Houston
Old 10-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #19
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Kinney Counties

I'd launch out of Matagorda, little less crowded than further up the coast. Plenty of rigs close by but I rarely fish them. I've never seemed to do any good, lots of sharks and reds, and occasional king.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #20
Jmsck12
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County
Default Calling the offshore guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post

Last edited by Jmsck12; 10-12-2017 at 02:42 PM..
Jmsck12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #21
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
I'd launch out of Matagorda, little less crowded than further up the coast. Plenty of rigs close by but I rarely fish them. I've never seemed to do any good, lots of sharks and reds, and occasional king.
What marina do you use? The guy that owned my boat before me always used Matagorda and told me how to fish the rigs there so I would like to try it one day.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #22
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Kinney Counties

There are a couple different places you can launch. Matagorda Harbor or you can launch at River Bend. We usually launch out of the harbor but River Bend is closer to the jetties.

panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #23
-HIC-
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

You could also launch in Galveston and run out the boat cut. Just remember that things go wrong very quickly in the gulf. Make sure you at least have a PLB and good working radio. If your VHF has a distress function make sure it is connected to your GPS and showing your lat/long. If you need to use it most of the well equipped boats in range will get a popup on their GPS screen showing your position. Your cell phone will stop working just when you need it. Make sure someone on shore knows your intended route and stick with it.

I ran a larger Cape Horn with twins, epirb, radar, etc. Those seemingly calm days can change very quickly. The bigger the boat the faster you can run from a storm, etc. I have heard and responded to way too many radio calls to not at least try to ensure you fully understand how bad things can go and try to plan for it. Remember the Coast Guard may not respond unless lives are at risk; for breakdowns, etc. they will monitor and call Sea Tow. You do not want to see the bill for them to pull you any distance!

I don't want to scare you. I have seen plenty of bay boats enjoy the Jetties and close rigs just make sure you are prepared for any situation you can think of.
-HIC- is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #24
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HIC- View Post
You could also launch in Galveston and run out the boat cut. Just remember that things go wrong very quickly in the gulf. Make sure you at least have a PLB and good working radio. If your VHF has a distress function make sure it is connected to your GPS and showing your lat/long. If you need to use it most of the well equipped boats in range will get a popup on their GPS screen showing your position. Your cell phone will stop working just when you need it. Make sure someone on shore knows your intended route and stick with it.

I ran a larger Cape Horn with twins, epirb, radar, etc. Those seemingly calm days can change very quickly. The bigger the boat the faster you can run from a storm, etc. I have heard and responded to way too many radio calls to not at least try to ensure you fully understand how bad things can go and try to plan for it. Remember the Coast Guard may not respond unless lives are at risk; for breakdowns, etc. they will monitor and call Sea Tow. You do not want to see the bill for them to pull you any distance!

I don't want to scare you. I have seen plenty of bay boats enjoy the Jetties and close rigs just make sure you are prepared for any situation you can think of.

Believe me, I take it very serious and will not just throw caution to the wind and wing something. The open water scares me.. watched too many commercial fishing documentaries and shows to know it can get ugly real fast and those are huge vessels. I have a good radio and large antenna. I still need to get a PLB before I go.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #25
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio

packery... further south you go the closer you are to deeper water in a shorter distance.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #26
texasair
Six Point

I would have a kicker motor or a membership in one of the towing services.

Be aware that they are removing rigs left and right, very few left compared to just a few years ago.

The ones that are left get picked over pretty good.
texasair is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #27
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasair View Post
I would have a kicker motor or a membership in one of the towing services.

Be aware that they are removing rigs left and right, very few left compared to just a few years ago.

The ones that are left get picked over pretty good.
There is a Sea Tow member stick on the center console... Think I could get away with just saying I'm a member?
Old 10-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #28
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...11%2Ck%3Aepirb

Which do I buy? Don't know crap about these things
Old 10-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #29
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Refugio

There should be a ton of jack ups stacked in or near shore right now. While often jack ups don't usually hold a lot of fish, they do if they have been sitting in one area for long. And with the slow trend the last couple years in offshore drilling they should be holding fish.

If you come across one that is working I wouldn't waste a lot of time on it. As most times there only on location a month or so before moving to another location. I'd move on and try for the more established platforms. Especially the bigger triple platforms. Port Aransas has some decent sized platforms with in a couple hours of the jetties.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #30
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

All good info above. I've fished from Galveston to poc on a limited basis off shore. I like Matty myself and would go to freeport as a second option. Poc has some great fishing but those jetties can turn on you in a heart beat. Be careful.

One other thing that you should always have with the single motor and deep water is a drift sock on a long lead rope. If you to loose your motor, tie the drift sock to the bow and it will keep you pointed into the wind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #31
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Buddy boat with someone else. Quicker than safe tow if something happens.

Id be careful launching from river bend in matagorda in a new (to you boat). When the tide is ripping down the river it can get western. IMO its not worth the risk of dinging the fiberglass to save 10 minutes of boat ride.

Ive done POC jetties many times but only to fish the surf, been a few years since Ive left matty
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #32
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post
All good info above. I've fished from Galveston to poc on a limited basis off shore. I like Matty myself and would go to freeport as a second option. Poc has some great fishing but those jetties can turn on you in a heart beat. Be careful.

One other thing that you should always have with the single motor and deep water is a drift sock on a long lead rope. If you to loose your motor, tie the drift sock to the bow and it will keep you pointed into the wind.

Great idea!! Added one to my cart with my epirb
Old 10-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #33
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Buddy boat with someone else. Quicker than safe tow if something happens.

Id be careful launching from river bend in matagorda in a new (to you boat). When the tide is ripping down the river it can get western. IMO its not worth the risk of dinging the fiberglass to save 10 minutes of boat ride.

Ive done POC jetties many times but only to fish the surf, been a few years since Ive left matty
Thanks, yeah already had an butt pucker moment. I got too close to the flood gate at Moses lake with the tide ripping out. About slammed into the concrete wall
Old 10-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #34
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:
Great idea!! Added one to my cart with my epirb
Plus it's handy why fishing the bay on a windy day. It will slow your drift considerable.

Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #35
jflint
Four Point

Hunt In: Montgomery Co

This
Attached Images

jflint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #36
Chuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Falfurrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflint View Post
This
have a buddy that has to run his boat like that. I swear his 22ft Sea Pro has wings! After a day on the water, it feels like I went 5 rounds with Tyson.
Chuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #37
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Well I went out of Freeport on Saturday.... Holy CRAP, I made it 2 miles out and had to find a safe spot in between big swells to turn around.... Those waves at the jettys were 5-6ft tall, I hit those first few way too fast and went completely air born... talking about, hear the motor out of water.... I instantly went to craw mode of around 10mph and made it about 2 miles. They still were huge and decided this was not going to work. OR just chickened out..

At what point do the waves start to calm down to what is being forecasted? I was forecasted 0-2 waves and if those were 2ft, I was on serious drugs.... lol

So we ended up coming back in and fishing the bay, tore up a ton of Sand Trout so it wasn't a complete waste.

Sea - 1
Jared - 0

lol
Old 11-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #38
Chase This!
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the big deer roam

Quote:
Well I went out of Freeport on Saturday.... Holy CRAP, I made it 2 miles out and had to find a safe spot in between big swells to turn around.... Those waves at the jettys were 5-6ft tall, I hit those first few way too fast and went completely air born... talking about, hear the motor out of water.... I instantly went to craw mode of around 10mph and made it about 2 miles. They still were huge and decided this was not going to work. OR just chickened out..

At what point do the waves start to calm down to what is being forecasted? I was forecasted 0-2 waves and if those were 2ft, I was on serious drugs.... lol

So we ended up coming back in and fishing the bay, tore up a ton of Sand Trout so it wasn't a complete waste.

Sea - 1
Jared - 0

lol
It was 1-2 feet Saturday, just for some perspective in the future. Those waves that look like 4-5ft are really 1-2 feet.
Chase This! is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #39
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase This! View Post
It was 1-2 feet Saturday, just for some perspective in the future. Those waves that look like 4-5ft are really 1-2 feet.
Even the ones that stack up near shore? Seemed alot bigger.

I know you have alot of experience.

Did you hit the GOM this weekend?
Old 11-27-2017, 05:52 PM   #40
Chase This!
Pope & Young

Quote:
Even the ones that stack up near shore? Seemed alot bigger.

I know you have alot of experience.

Did you hit the GOM this weekend?
Likely. A 2ft wave is a decent sized wave. It is always worse right at the jetties. Usually if you push out a few miles it will calm down.

Just a quick boat ride Friday. No fishing. Too much going on. Your day was Friday. It was glass. You could have run as far as you wanted. It was .3-.6ft.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #41
Chase This!
Pope & Young

This was Friday.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:58 PM   #42
glen
Pope & Young

Saturday looked ok but it was fast and probably a washing machine. If I don't like what I'm
Seeing about 3/4 way down the jetties I make other plans quick. Find someone that has ran offshore more than a few times and take them with you. Find someone to buddy boat with
Old 11-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #43
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase This! View Post
Likely. A 2ft wave is a decent sized wave. It is always worse right at the jetties. Usually if you push out a few miles it will calm down.

Just a quick boat ride Friday. No fishing. Too much going on. Your day was Friday. It was glass. You could have run as far as you wanted. It was .3-.6ft.
yeah the jetties are always worse. You have intermingled currents and it always chops the water up some. Plus you can have the current flowing in/out of the jetties crashing with the south bound beach currents.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top