Amazon - Good or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon - Good or Bad?

In the last few months we went from buying a lot from Amazon to almost everything from Amazon (including groceries/produce). While I love Amazon, I’m undecided on whether or not Amazon is ultimately good for the economy.

It seems like they are toeing the line on Antitrust violations. What do you think? Could a case be made that they are a monopoly, a monopsony, and/or an oligopoly? What do you think the future holds for Amazon?

How are they a monopoly?

The economy seems to be driving to Amazon on their own because of the execution of their business model

Comment

Absolutely great. My wife, nor myself stepped foot into a brick and mortar this year for Christmas. Hallelujah

Comment

It is the devil!! All I heard all Christmas Holidays was "have nothing for you, because you already bought it on amazon!" See I don't carry cash or a credit card. BUT with amazon and one click ordering OH MAN! LOL

Comment

I don’t think they are at this point, as they are still driving prices down. That said, their growth model shows some striking similarities to other companies who were forcibly broken up for being monopolies (ATT,Standard Oil, etc).

Again, I share your opinion but I think they will face some pushback from the DOJ on future acquisitions.

Comment

I learned something earlier about Amazon and Academy Sports. Academy will price match Amazon's best price plus beat it 5%. I was told they won't do that for other websites or ebay items.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
              In the last few months we went from buying a lot from Amazon to almost everything from Amazon (including groceries/produce). While I love Amazon, I’m undecided on whether or not Amazon is ultimately good for the economy.

It seems like they are toeing the line on Antitrust violations. What do you think? Could a case be made that they are a monopoly, a monopsony, and/or an oligopoly? What do you think the future holds for Amazon?

I like Amazon but have found several things on there cheaper elsewhere and in stores, except for the fact many things Amazon carries I cannot find in stores, especially car parts, mower parts, etc. And get it shipped in 2 days free.
              Its a toss up for me ...

Comment

Soon, companies will have to compete with amazon or go under. Amazon is good for the consumer.

Comment

Amazon is good for delivery companies. Business and stocks up for those guys.

Comment

Alibaba is larger I think. One way or another they are a huge competitor..

Comment

They will be the death of a lot of retailers. They are really hurting the pocket books of a lot of retailers causing layoffs all across the country and ultimately will be the demise of a lot of companies. That being said.... I use them a lot myself. There is something to be said not having to wait for something more than 2 days and usually at a savings.

Comment

Amazon is efficient and efficiency is always good for the economy.

Comment

Check out smile.amazon so that a portion of your purchases go to a charity of your choosing. I never knew this until we rescued a dog from habitat 4 paws and they asked us to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                            I learned something earlier about Amazon and Academy Sports. Academy will price match Amazon's best price plus beat it 5%. I was told they won't do that for other websites or ebay items.
                            This is correct. We will only match it as long as you have a screenshot of the item without the ad saying Prime in it because it’s a “paid membership” and we won’t match that price.

Comment

Love Amazon....

Comment

Working...
                              X