Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Homemade Catfish Bait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purina Sig Chow?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
      Cheap hotdogs cut up in small chunks, mixed with can of garlic powder and two packs of strawberry cool-aide.

Heard about it last year, tried it, ended up with about 200lbs of channel cat fillets in two days of fishing 12 noodle setups.

This^^^^^^

Comment

slice hot dogs with garlic powder, minced garlic freeze it, before fishing add big red soda to help thaw out, works great at my locale park

Comment

A coworker of mine runs jugs and slays them on little smokys.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429886817.330087.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	24376181
              Not homemade but my personal favorite

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
                Cast net, shad cut into chunks...homemade well, lakemade...lol...no stink...I will outfish all on fresh cut shad..

Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                  Cheap hotdogs cut up in small chunks, mixed with can of garlic powder and two packs of strawberry cool-aide.

Heard about it last year, tried it, ended up with about 200lbs of channel cat fillets in two days of fishing 12 noodle setups.

This works very well

Comment

An old timer, "Mr. Buzz" (for those of you that have fished out of Shirley Creek on Rayburn and know who I'm talking about), that made the cleanest, cheapest and easy to use cheese bait I've ever seen. We called it buzz bait and he'd sell half gallons for $10 but only to certain folks. Trying to get it was like a drug deal or something. I'd have to give someone else the money and they'd get me all he would let go of. Then I would hoard it and repeat the process. I would have paid $50 just to be able to get some without the hassle because it was really that good. It didn't stink at all and washed easily with lake water.

Unfortunately, he took his secret to the grave a few years ago. He didn't give the recipe but did tell a select few the ingredients (thanks "TP3"). I make several batches a year and every now and then I get it close but it's never perfect like his. It works though.

SO, if you ever see cheese "BUZZ" bait on the shelves at academy you'll know I figured it out!

Comment

Originally posted by hgiles View Post
                      bonemeal, brains, and limberger cheese. Put that in a bucket with some condensed milk and let it sit in the sun covered for a week or more. use carpet pad on a treble hook and dip it in the bait.
                      This except add crumbled up cattails and make it into punch bait. #6 and #4 bare treble hooks.
                      Bait you a hole with soured wheat/cottonseed meal.
                      Buy 5 gallons of peanut oil etc etc

Comment

Cotton seed cake broke up into a fish basket to bait up a hole. Then fish it with your fave bait. Tie a cord with a jug on the end for a marker so you know where you dropped it in the lake. And can retrieve it. Cotton seed cake is hard to find. But the cubes are easy to find. But cubes are not as effective for some reason. I used to use the cake on our dock all the time at the lake house.

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
                          Cast net, shad cut into chunks...homemade well, lakemade...lol...no stink...I will outfish all on fresh cut shad..
                          x2

Comment

Originally posted by nimrodajh View Post
                            An old timer, "Mr. Buzz" (for those of you that have fished out of Shirley Creek on Rayburn and know who I'm talking about), that made the cleanest, cheapest and easy to use cheese bait I've ever seen. We called it buzz bait and he'd sell half gallons for $10 but only to certain folks. Trying to get it was like a drug deal or something. I'd have to give someone else the money and they'd get me all he would let go of. Then I would hoard it and repeat the process. I would have paid $50 just to be able to get some without the hassle because it was really that good. It didn't stink at all and washed easily with lake water.

Unfortunately, he took his secret to the grave a few years ago. He didn't give the recipe but did tell a select few the ingredients (thanks "TP3"). I make several batches a year and every now and then I get it close but it's never perfect like his. It works though.

SO, if you ever see cheese "BUZZ" bait on the shelves at academy you'll know I figured it out!

Parents kept a boat over there next to his in the stalls for most of my life. So from 4-21yo/Hurricane Rita he was a regular sight for me on the weekends and for the better part of the Summers.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                              Blood bait. 5 gallon bucket of bull blood chilled and coagulated. Cut into 2"x2" squares. Place on screen from an old screen door above ground in the sun. Sprinkle with sugar and let sit till hard and dark on top side. Turn and repeat process on the other side. It'll bleed in the water for 24-36 hours if you get the right consistency. Best channel and blue cat bait I've found.
                              Indeed! My FIL made chicken blood much the same way. He added downy feathers to get a better hold on a small treble hook. In slow moving water it was great.
                              Other than blood we used catfish Charlie and leopard frogs. Fish frogs at the edges of weed beds.

Comment

Originally posted by nimrodajh View Post

Any chance of sharing the recipe you've got? If so drop me a PM please. : )

Comment

Working...
                                X