No announcement yet.

Rattlesnake skin on recurve limbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanna bring this to the top with a question of when is it better to remove scales? Before or after gluing it to the bow? I'm hopefully picking up some rattlers and gonna have a go at fancying up my bow.

Comment

I do it after gluing before I trim,

Comment

This is a sweet thread. I want to find me a rattle bug already and make my dad a hat band.

Comment

Hey Restless, I'm picking up the snakeskins up by Waco, think I could come out and see some of yours?

Comment

Sure I'll give you a primer on how its done, only thing is I have a Bad Chest cold right now but next weekend is a 3D shoot at the Huaco Club if your up for that, then we can drink coffee and talk some Trad.

Comment

Originally posted by Restless View Post
              its easy Stretch and dry, when ready soak in warm water, pat dry. coat limbs and skin with titebond III apply skin smooth out winkles and work in place, some folks wrap I don't just check on it every 30 mins. or so until it was dried some what. if you must splice do it where handle wrap will be. I let dry two or three day's trim with sharp razor or exacto knife (what I use). cover with 3 or 4 coats of truoil, shoot bow.
              Exactly how I did my old Damon Howatt

Comment

Originally posted by Restless View Post
                I do it after gluing before I trim,
                This too
                I used ductape to remove the scales. Takes about 2 or 3 passes to get them all. Peel off tape against the grain.

Comment

One of these days i'm gonna do my selfbow with some copperhead skins.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                    Exactly how I did my old Damon Howatt

That's why I'm looking into this! Just bought one that's a righty so I decided I wanted a copy cat of yours since it looked so cool!

Comment

Few more of this and you can have a nice pair of boots!

Comment

I have an older Wapit t/d recurve that I picked up used, it has very nice dyed action wood with some brown in it that has an almost-orange tint to it. My idea was to use copperhead skins on the limbs to compliment that color. A few questions...

Does the skin backing add to the draw weight? I would assume at least a pound or so?

Also, if you are familiar with the Wapiti recurve then you know it has a very aggressive recurve shape, a bit challenging to string up. When I go to string it does putting the rubber pad up against the skin on a 60# bow cause damage/tearing?

Lastly, I looked at those Bob Morrisons, very nice work! Looks like copperhead will be $225-250 plus shipping both ways. If I can do this myself Id really like to, where can I buy the skins ready to go?

Comment

I dont think it would and any to the Draw weight, if fact it may slow the bow a very small fraction as it adds mass that will need to be moving (inertia) but anyone will be pressed to see it, Most like adding weight to an arrow. but it sure looks purdy.

Comment

I cover mine with borax powder after tacking them on a board to speed up the drying and act as preservative. Easy to brush off after dry. I put the skins on dry with contact cement, then rub off the scales, trim, and clear finish of choice. If you ever need to take the skin off, it will come off by rolling the glue up off the finish. Wont come off until you want it off.

Comment

Oh, one more thing--be sure you put the skin where you want it the firs time if using contact cement.

Comment

I dont know about the Borax thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X