Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noisy pipes

had my bathroom remodeled and tiled.
    Now when I flush the pipes rattle loudly.
    Can someone advise me on this?

Thank you very much

BP

Most likely that is water hammer. Your piping is probably not strapped off well enough allowing for a fast acting valve to close suddenly and make your pipes shake. You could try to find a water hammer arrestor at homedepot that would fit on your toilet supply valve.

Comment

Originally posted by River Rider View Post
      Most likely that is water hammer. Your piping is probably not strapped off well enough allowing for a fast acting valve to close suddenly and make your pipes shake. You could try to find a water hammer arrestor at homedepot that would fit on your toilet supply valve.
      I agree with the arrestor; more thank likely you not going to find where the strapping is loose now that the walls have been finished off. If you paid someone to remodel it I'd sure call them back.

Comment

Place a T with a cap on the line...the air in the upright portion will absorb the shock. That is why hydraulics work as liquids do not compress.

People have been killed on the Alaska Pipeline from it jumping several feet...no different with a small household line.

Comment

Mine started to get water hammer after the angle stop behind my toilet was more than half way clogged. Replaced angle stop no more water hammer sound.
          Although proper strapping probably would have stopped mine from starting

Comment

Strapping as well as adding a hammer stop. This is an extended pipe off of the t to collect the excess pressure. Never heard of adding one at the wall stop. I'd try that route first as its the easiest and cheapest. My way involves opening that wall back up. Hope that's not necessary.

Comment

You might try blocking off your water at the main valve coming into your house, and draining the water from every faucet in your house. Once the water is drained close off all faucets and open the main water line refilling your pipes in your house. I am betting that you already have stand pipes in your attic from your original water pipes. this will allow air to fill these stand pipes and stop any water hammer. It might take 2 times to get the air in the system, if this doesn't work call your plumber back to have him find out what is wrong with the remodeled system.

Comment

#1 suspect...water hammer
                #2 suspect... Loose bib washer in valve. Does it vibrate rapidly while water is running?

Comment

Thank all of you for your advice and comments.

BP

Comment

I had same problem with a very loud moaning noise after flushing which sounded like it was coming from attic. I read it could be a leaky flapper valve so I bought a kit to replace tank guts and that solved the problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X