Cutting a Propane Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting a Propane Tank

I have an old 250 gallon propane tank and I am going to let our local high school ag class build me a BBQ pit next year. Their only requirement is that I have one side cut before bringing it to them.

I have the valves removed from the tank and it has been sitting for a while. If I just fill the tank with water to get any gas out, will it then be safe to cut? Can I use a torch or should I use a cut off wheel on a grinder?

I filled mine with soap and full of water then grinder cut the doors off.

Comment

^^^ This.

Comment

Have done many and I always fill with water, drain, and then cut with a torch. Don't use air to purge the tank. Propane is heavier than air so it settles in the bottom of the tank so air won't get it all out. Air, propane, and a sparks makes bad things happen.

Also, even after you drain you may still pick up a lingering propane smell. That is the ethyl mercaptan liquid residue that they add so you can smell leaks due to propane being odorless.

Comment

Thanks. My simple thinking tells me that as long as I completely fill the tank with water, there will be 0 propane gas left inside and I could cut with a torch. But I've heard from some people saying that there can still be issues doing it like that.

Comment

Originally posted by apc10 View Post
            Thanks. My simple thinking tells me that as long as I completely fill the tank with water, there will be 0 propane gas left inside and I could cut with a torch. But I've heard from some people saying that there can still be issues doing it like that.
            They will belch and rumble when full of water, and are more difficult to cut, you have to turn cutting torch up higher, but that is the safest way to cut them. Completely full of water, with no air space.

Comment

Fill with water and you will be fine.

Comment

Fill with water and drain. I did it twice just to be sure. Torch did just fine.

Comment

Use the exhaust from your truck. Absolutely safe and none of the associated problems with water

Comment

The objective when cutting any type of tank is to purge the air/oxygen from it. Exhaust from a gas engine (carbon monoxide), argon, CO2 and water all work well for doing this. With gases you will need a inlet and outlet.

Comment

I know a guy that builds smokers. He said he pulls all the valves and sits the entire tank on a brush pile and burns it.. Said his son lost a finger or two cutting one once with it filled with water.

Comment

The last one I built, I used a sawzall to cut out the doors, made for a nice tight door and pretty cut. Used a grinder with a thin cut off blade to make the start cut. I still filled with water just in case.

Comment

I fill mine with soapy water and cut with a grinder

Comment

Metabo wheel

Comment

Steam

Comment

Working...
                              X