No announcement yet.

Duck Hunting for Beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 3/4 or 3" are fine whatever you can find. I shoot steel 6's out of an improved cylinder and have never wanted more choke on teal. As far as clothing ask the host but if you have to run waders get non insulated breathables. And take mosquito spray for sure.

Comment

I prefer #4 shot. 2 3/4 or 3 in is good.

Comment

Your host should be able to get you started on the basics. Waders will depend on location. If you're in a big taco stand blind then rubber boots may work. Sitting on a levee in a rice field, breathable waders keep your butt dry. Camo helps, but being still and keeping your face down is much more important. 2 3/4" is plenty, but get duck loads, not cheap steel target loads. A good headlamp and a thermacell are worth every penny. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

As others have stated, ask your host about waders. Heck, most of the time I'm hunting during real seasons I'm in black basketball shorts, a camo fishing shirt and old shoes. It's too dang hot to wear even my breathable waders.

Bring a thermacell or lots of bug spray. My gun likes Kent Fasteel 3" #6 through a modified kicks high flyer choke. A good headlamp, and keep your head on a swivel. They dont call them rice rockets for nothing

Comment

Duck Hunting for Beginners

Originally posted by Eagle19 View Post
            Yeah if you think Dove is fun what until your teal hunt.

You might as well set $1000 a side because you'll be buying gear soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This^
            It’s a whole different ball game that will get you addicted quick. Teal are like fighter jets coming in hot!

Comment

Teal season is a blast and will like most said get you hooked on duck hunting.

It will likely be 90+ degrees and 75% humidity...wearing waders can be brutal. I hunt in muck/mud boots and shorts or fishing pants. Teal come in fast and in wads, dont shoot in the middle of the group, pick out one bird at a time. This can be difficult especially when 20 of them are flying past the blind a mach 20, but do your best.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Go on the Macks Prarie wings site and order only Drake hunting gear. Its best to get everything that Drake offers just to be safe. Then go to the closest academy and ask for the most expensive 12 gauge that shoots 3.5" shells. Buy that gun. While you are waiting at the counter ask them how many Acrylic calls can fit on a lanyard. (I have 6 different colors of the daisy cutter on mine.) Start practicing using the call in the store. The louder the better. Buy a couple dozen snow goose and coot decoys, they are usually to the left of the gun counter. Go ahead and get you a dog crate while you are there. There should be a lab breeder in your neighborhood that can get you a top notch dog. One that would be a master hunter if he wasn't blind in his right eye or something. Don't scrimp on a good dog, be willing to spend as much as $500 on a good one. Get online when you get home and buy you a couple cases of Black cloud shells. These are the only ones that will knock down teal in flight. I have hit this as high as 600 yards up. When you show up to the hunt, be fashionably late. They guide is gonna try to tell you what to expect and go over the rules. You don't need to hear that. He should be able to tell that you are the real deal by the duck stickers on your back window. After you get to the blind you want to make sure that your dog sits next to the guides dog. That way you can show him what a high dollar working dog looks like. As the sun comes up, you should start by standing up on the bench and letting out the longest mallard hen call that you can. Its like a trumpet to let the teal know that its time to get up and fly. You and the guide should be the only two with your head up looking for ducks. When they start to come in, two people calling is always better than one. pro tip: Shoot first and then yell take them. That way you are sure to get your three before they can claim them. If the morning is slow, don't be afraid to shoot at booger pickers. They don't taste great but you didn't come all of this way for nothing. After the hunt just tell everyone that they can have your teal and that you really don't like to eat them. Don't worry about tipping the guide because you shared the work with him and his dog. Really they should be tipping you. Enjoy your trip!!
                Last edited by Triple 7; 07-10-2018, 08:03 AM.

Comment

I personally teal hunt with #6's, skeet choke, either a green or camo synthetic shirt, fishing pants (green or camo) and wading boots. I don't get too worried about hiding, I am more worried about being exactly where they want to land. It is one of my favorite hunts, if not my most favorite. Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
                    I'll be hunting with a 3 inch semiauto. Should I stick with 3 inch or 2-3/4? Should I expect longer shots and use modified or stick with improved?
                    3" or 2.75" doesn't matter that much, though the general rule of thumb is that shorter shells pattern better. Winchester Xpert #6 will flat smoke some teal, and is inexpensive. Most people over choke their guns in my opinion, so I'd stick with the IC or even a Skeet choke.

I generally wear some kind of neutral color (olive) fishing shirt, old pants, hip boots, ball cap, and a buff or archery type face camo. I sweat a bunch, so it looks camo after a bit. Some hunts you only need rubber boots. Some you could do in slippers.

The clothes you wear for archery hunts should work. Ask the guy you are going with if you need waders. Thermacell or full Deet. I also have a gun sock for my gun on the bumpy ride out in a ranger or boat. I have a small shoulder bag that holds stuff plus shells, coffee, bottle of water, and honey bun.

Teal hunts usually don't last very long. You will probably be back at your truck by 9 am. Most people breast them, but I highly recommend pulling a couple good looking fat ones that aren't shot up aside and plucking them as that considerably widens your cooking options.
                    Last edited by El General; 07-10-2018, 08:46 AM.

Comment

I’m in the same boat bubba. I’m pretty excited

Comment

Wet wipes. You'll crap yourself when that first flight buzzes by before daylight. You'll be so jacked you won't even know your drawers are full. And the action wont stop till limits. By then its gonna take wet wipes, or a swim.

Don't over think it. Take 1 more box of shells than you think you'll need. Throw up a steel curtain.

Comment

Lots of good info here. Just prepare to spend your hard earned dollars as you'll soon find out.

Comment

How many boxes of shells do yall bring? About as many as you would for dove?

Comment

Depends on how well you shoot. I normally always have 2, but I've made one box of shells last 3 hunts while killing limits on all three hunts (not uncommon to kill 2 or 3 teal with one shot). I have also seen a buddy that is a very good shot go through two boxes of shells on an off day.

Comment

I always keep 2 boxes in my blind bag but you should be fine with one box.

But I only need 6 shells for teal and 15 for dove

Comment

Working...
                                X